Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Feb 22, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #707 of 1,588
I guess I'm the odd one out on the leather vs suede choice. I generally prefer the feel of suede over leather. Even with my Stax headphone that uses lambskin leather on the earpad face, I find it gets uncomfortable after a while. Part of my preference for Hifimans is the use of a fabric mesh on their earpads rather than leather or pleather. And when I've pad-rolled to suede pads from leather, I've generally found the sound changes to be positive. So it looks like I can save some money if I ever take the plunge on the Yamaha :).
Interesting… I was on the verge of selling my Arya, but after bending the frame a little bit and putting fenestrated leather pads on, it’s comfortable enough for me

Feb 22, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #708 of 1,588
As a "brave" one who purchased the YH-5000SE without auditioning, I was confident I would like the sound from the reviews. It is important to see reviewers' preferences and trust those who have similar musical and headphones preferences/experiences to me. My only concern was the fit. It strongly depends on one's head even if the Yamaha is ultra-light and many praised the fit and comfort. So this was a gamble, and I won.

For your convenience, here are my translations and my own 1st impression of YH-5000SE.
(Probably I read the reviews and impressions the most in the world because translation work needs deep reading. )

1) transcription of Youtube interview to Yamaha staff (this is the first post in head-fi of mine)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yamaha-yh-5000se-—-a-flagship-from-an-orthodynamic-headphones-veteran.964970/page-16#post-17267503

2) word-to-word translation on the corrugation of the driver from the above video
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yamaha-yh-5000se-%E2%80%94-a-flagship-from-an-orthodynamic-headphones-veteran.964970/page-19#post-17271436

3) a short introduction of the engineer's comment on chain-dependence
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yamaha-yh-5000se-—-a-flagship-from-an-orthodynamic-headphones-veteran.964970/page-30#post-17317058

4) translation of impressions from Japanese twitter posts (vol. 1) from auditioning
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yamaha-yh-5000se-—-a-flagship-from-an-orthodynamic-headphones-veteran.964970/page-22#post-17275582

5) translation of impressions from Japanese twitter posts (vol. 2) from auditioning
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yamaha-yh-5000se-—-a-flagship-from-an-orthodynamic-headphones-veteran.964970/page-26#post-17303383

6) translation of impressions from Japanese twitter posts (vol. 3) including the owners'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yamaha-yh-5000se-—-a-flagship-from-an-orthodynamic-headphones-veteran.964970/page-39#post-17387356

7) A summary of blog articles by pansaku and yukihira
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yamaha-yh-5000se-—-a-flagship-from-an-orthodynamic-headphones-veteran.964970/page-32#post-17331561

8) my own first impression (the first headphone review of mine in any language)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yamaha-yh-5000se-—-a-flagship-from-an-orthodynamic-headphones-veteran.964970/page-41#post-17400016
I'm very curious about the other pads so look forward to hearing those impressions. I haven't come across any with the suede pads yet.

Feb 22, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #710 of 1,588
Went from "pre-order" to "in stock" just today at Audio46

I won’t be able to go to New York, but I’m definitely interested in seeing white peoples impressions are on this headphone.

Audio46 will showcase it at CanJam NYC this weekend. From my experience with them, they may have a very nice show discount for it. I’ll definitely be trying it out!

see reviewers' preferences and trust those who have similar musical and headphones preferences/experiences to me

Such a critical point. I certainly made a purchase or two in the past following glowing reviews and was almost always disappointed for doing that. I now try to demo all gear where possible (flying to CanJams, ordering returnable products, trips to Audio46 in my town, etc). But where I can’t do that, I watch for the impressions of individuals in the community who, over time, I’ve learned have similar preferences to me. There are no absolutes in our hobby…

This thread wouldn't be complete or anywhere near what it is without your contributions. I want to let you know that I am very thankful for you, and I say with certainty that I am speaking for just about everyone here.

The fact that you are willing to devote so much of your time to contribute with the most accurate information, it's something that I envy. It's very inspirational and motivating! You are allowing the rest of the world to have a chance to hear all the details and information that is exclusive to the Japanese community. Thank you for everything. It would be far from a stretch to say that I am deeply grateful for every post you've made here =)

A very big +1

Thank you @doctorK53 !

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #711 of 1,588
I won’t be able to go to New York, but I’m definitely interested in seeing white peoples impressions are on this headphone.
white peoples impressions lol

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #713 of 1,588
Dictation. Apparently Siri can’t tell the difference between white and what.
I thought it was an intentional joke about a headphone coming from Japan and found it quite funny actually. It is rare that people dare and can joke about human races these days. Apparently Siri can. AI is real. :)

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #714 of 1,588
I thought it was an intentional joke about a headphone coming from Japan and found it quite funny actually. It is rare that people dare and can joke about human races these days. Apparently Siri can. AI is real. :)
Eh if I meant that I would have said gaijin, I think only @doctorK53 would have understood that reference in this whole thread. Lol

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #717 of 1,588
I think it's really brave to buy something that's like $5K without auditioning. It was more of a compliment because I had the YH-5000SE 10- times in my cart. I just didn't have the guts to click purchase. Glad it worked out for you. Now if I have that same brave heart and didn't like the YH-5000SE and it's probably going to sting me and you won't care. Because we are strangers, trusting a whole bunch of stranger reviews on a $5000 is too much of a risk for me. I enjoyed reading your review, but I got to make sure I'm smart with my wallet. There is 2 headphones I want to get at this moment, the Atrium Close Back and the Yamaha YH-5000SE. Looking at my collection perspective, its probably better for me to get the YH-5000SE over the Atrium Close Back since I already have the ATH-L3000 as my wooden close back. But from my wallet perspective, ZMF LTD headphones don't usually go too low in the used market, like maybe $200-300 off from retail a lot of the time. Another thing is I do like that ZMF prints your name and engraves it in a wooden certificate, so buying ZMF headphones new feel more special. I am willing to wait for the regular YH-5000 (which is around $1000 cheaper if I remember what you said) and probably wait for a used one which hopefully be around $3500-3700. Sure, I'll lose some extra pads, the headphone stand, and the SE cable, but I'll save the extra $$$.

I don't want you to feel bad spending $5000, that's great that you did. You got your dream headphone very early and every day forward is going to be more enjoyable, while I wait thinking what the YH-5000 would sound like until I get my hands on one. Enjoy your YH-5000SE, don't mind what anyone says, because that headphone kick ass :metal:
I have a feeling that the Atrium Closed is going to be an extremely special headphone. Same for the Caldera Closed later this year as well.
I was listening to my Verite Closed last night on my OTL and, man, it always manages to surprise me somehow... and I adore my Atriums. Zach just really knows how to make a top-notch closed back.

If you love the HD800S, I'd say go for the Yamaha. If the tuning of the HD6xx series is more to your liking, ZMF.

Anymore, my 800S is relegated to gaming and desktop use. I never found it to be as emotionally engaging for music as ZMF.

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #718 of 1,588
Feb 22, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #719 of 1,588
Feb 22, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #720 of 1,588
Oh no! I knew it was imminent, but I didn't know it was already making the rounds...

I've only read the first few sentences and I'm already wanting to get a pair on my ears.

Must. Resist. The. Urge...

🤣

It’s making the first public debut this weekend at CanJam NYC (for those attending, limited sets will be available), and will be available for the general public to order in a few weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back