Yamaha RH5-ma, best sleeper of 2009?
Mar 9, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #106 of 125
I am A/B-ing the 5-MA version with my ESW-9As at the moment, and it's amazing me how well these $50 cans are holding their own next to the ATH's. The 9As are twice as good for sure, but the Yamahas aren't bad at all; they're quite a bit warmer and a little more congested, and definitely not as much soundstage, but not that far behind either. I wouldn't say they lacked detail, but there was a hint of graininess, and a touch of sibilance. The Yamahas have good frequency extension in both directions and the mids are quite pronounced as well, with a pretty smooth overall presentation. The Yamahas aren't quite as comfortable as the ATH's as they clamp a bit tightly for my noggin, and they both have the non-swiveling, non-folding earcups which negates portability to some extent. These are minor quibbles individually, but they do add up. However, it is really not a realistic comparison after all when you consider that you could buy five or six pairs of the 5-MAs for what a new pair of ESW-9As costs. I understand the law of diminishing returns, but I'd say the Yamahas would be a decent buy for twice the price, and the ATHs are a good value as well, worth every penny of their much steeper asking price. I dug them up to see if I was going to keep the for a while longer, and decided I'm not ready to let go of them quite yet.
smile.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #108 of 125
Hello,

I'm looking for an introductory set of headphones. I'd almost settled on the Beyerdynamic DT235s when I ran into this thread. Anyone have any thoughts on comparing these two headphones?

Here is what I need:

Somewhat portable - work, coffee shops, mowing the lawn.

Not huge - I shy away from the really big selections like Sony MDR-V6 just because I will be sporting them in public a lot.

Some level of isolation, just so I can listen at medium volume without disturbing people at work.

Good sound, but I'm not audiophile (yet!).

Budget, sub $50.

I think the DT235s are pretty ugly, that is my main beef with them. The RH5-mas look better to me if they aren't too big. It is hard to tell in pictures.

Thanks!

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #113 of 125

Quote:
I may try that.
I am going to get a clip + for these. Will an amp improve the sound with this set up?

The clip+ is pretty good, epecially for its cost. I have a clip which should sound identical.

An amp won't make much difference and is not necessary, these phones have low impedance and good sensitivity. If you have the money to get an amp, and the patience to take it around, a better option is to look for a vintage orthodynamic phone, especially one of the smaller Yamahas which can be found -- with some patience -- for 25-30€. An HP-3 or a an HP-50 (recabled in stereo), with some light felt damping inside are killer phones: small, rugged, and with enough isolation, but they definitely need an amp with enough power to drive them. A pair of RH5-ma is much easier, and good enough for portable use.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #114 of 125
I'm going to order the clip+ tonight, thanks for the advice! I'm already peaking around for some vintage orthos. Will probably need to sell off some closet treasure before I get to invest in anymore audio stuff, dang wife. 

Can't wait to trade in my jbuds and droid for music on the go! 

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #115 of 125
OK, so I've had my RH5mas for a few days and figured I report back. I have zero audiophile cred.. so bear that in mind.

I LOVE these friggin headphones. They sound.. to me.. amazing.

I am coming from some crappy ole ear buds and my source has been my droid original. I've now upgraded to the RH5mas and a Sansa Clip +. What a difference!

I've been testing the RH5mas, my old J-buds, and the ear buds that come with the Clip+. I've also tested from different sources, my laptop, the clip+ and my Technics stereo with a computer source.

The biggest surprise for me was how craptacular the droid is as a source.

Also, that the j-buds and the buds that came with the clip+ are total garbage.. waste of space.

Cons about these headphones are that they don't work well with glasses, but I just needed a reason to refill my contact perscription. They are also a bit warm.

I'm going to be testing them with the technics and a CD player to see how that compares to the clip+ and flac files next.

Anyway for $50, I couldn't be happier, so glad I found this thread..

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #116 of 125

Quote:
Anyway for $50, I couldn't be happier, so glad I found this thread..

I'm glad you like them: they are cheap but designed for professionals, so they are a world apart from the consumer stuff most people use. They are hard to beat at that price point, especially for carry around phones.

Now enjoy them for a while, without getting caught in the upgrade madness that triumphs on gear-oriented forums like this one. :)

And if/when you decide you want something less portable and even better sounding, stop by the ortho thread, ask around, do some research, there are fantastic bargains to be had if you know your stuff.

ps - my Xperia Arc too is crappy as a source, I guess most phones are, except for the iPhone and maybe the Samsung Galaxy if you install its custom kernel modules for audio

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #117 of 125
I've used this can for about 15 years, and I am convinced it is the same can as the Sony's I had in the 80's. But for brand/model markings, they look exactly the same, all the way down to the "made in japan" printed on the plastic headband in the same spot. And the pleather ear pads that seemed to wear out in exactly the same manner. Anyway I agree with RH5ma enthusiasts: these are very good cans for portable players, and pretty good cans period. I am not in the camp that thinks they are total "giant killers" and that it's not even worth getting more expensive cans, but I am definitely a fan. They might have you scratching your head with the whole "diminishing returns" thing. Now when new, and during the first couple years of use, these cans sound pretty smooth and a little bass heavy (especially for an on ear can). As the pleather wears the tonal balance shifts and they have a bit less bass and a little more treble. I know because I have a really old worn pair and a newer but broken in pair. and they are almost like 2 different cans. I might even like the worn sound better- I've heard the use of Sennheiser 69417 pads gives a similar change in tonality compared to new "pleather pad" pairs. There is some lack of refinement in the upper frequency range but the cans are never less than good across the board IMO. Throw in the "made in Japan", the great price, and the ability to re-pad with Sennheiser pads, and I remain a total believer.

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #119 of 125
Quote:
Yamaha RH5MA look like another paintjob of Foster 022096. Denon AH-D210 are a sibling, also 022096.

Foster-022096.png

Quote:
Yamaha RH5MA look like another paintjob of Foster 022096. Denon AH-D210 are a sibling, also 022096.

Foster-022096.png

I dont know- the Yamahas and the sony's had/have 3 vents along the top of the ear cup, and the R/L markings are raised black plastic letters not painted white. I can't tell if these fosters have the vents from the picture. Also Do the fosters have made in japan in raised plastic letters on headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back