Yamaha HPH-MT8 studio monitor headphones
Dec 28, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #46 of 207

My cat chewed through the cable of my Yamaha EPH-100, now I feel a void in my music life.  Yamaha has a great sound when they do it right.  Loved the sound on the Pro 500 also when I demoed them a while ago, but the clamping force was too great for me 
frown.gif

I would say damm that cat, but your moving on to something better...
On further listening with the MT8's I feel the driver sounds and feels like it is further from the ear compared to the MT-220, by a small percentage I feel this makes it more open and detailed thereby bringing listening quality to a new level.
As for the clamping force, Yamaha (for me) have it perfect with the MT8!

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #49 of 207
Been listening to the MT8 for a couple of days now. Comparing it side by side with my MT220, its really close Sound wise. The main difference that I can tell is the Mt8 doesn't sound as treble happy as the MT220 and the bass sounds tighter and less distorted in my opinion. Overall I am really happy with the MT8, they feel so much better made than the MT220 to me. Way less flimsy and finally a removable cable make this a worthy successor . Great job Yamaha!

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #51 of 207
  Been listening to the MT8 for a couple of days now. Comparing it side by side with my MT220, its really close Sound wise. The main difference that I can tell is the Mt8 doesn't sound as treble happy as the MT220 and the bass sounds tighter and less distorted in my opinion. Overall I am really happy with the MT8, they feel so much better made than the MT220 to me. Way less flimsy and finally a removable cable make this a worthy successor . Great job Yamaha!

Awesome! Does this need amp when listening in phone or onboard PC audio? Also what is the sound signature like? Hope it's flat/natural like Yamaha HS8 speaker.

Really hope Yamaha HPH-MT8 be available here in Indonesia and there's mic cable mod for it.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #55 of 207
Just got these in from amazon.jp.  Not really sure what to say... they're fantastic!!  Everything I love about that Yamaha sound, clear, fairly neutral, not peaky, but a beautiful sonic quality and fairly transparent.  I listened to electronic music all day at work with these, lots of strings and percussion as well.  They handle it all with ease.  Vocals sound fantastic, what can I say... Tried them on my Fiio E17k and Magni/Modi stack.  They sound splendid on both setups, a bit more reserved and warm on the Fiio as usual...  Build quality is really nice, they are comfortable and relatively light, very attractive looking headphones and they feel solid as well.  I don't really have anything bad to say about these right now.  I just recently got a set of Hifiman HE-400i and maybe it's too soon to judge, but if I had to keep one, I'd reach for the Yamahas!  Maybe it's because I can use these at work, and the bass is so silky smooth ;-}

OK just tried out some metal... definitely better genre for the HE-400i 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  but I'm more of an electronic music kinda guy
L3000.gif

Diablo 2 soundtrack sounded spectacular on the Yamahas earlier today.  Excellent representation of all the crazy string instruments and especially the percussion that Matt Uelmen uses in that soundtrack.

I listen to many electronic music genres, anything from chill to trance, progressive, trap, hardcore, nightcore, chiptunes/8-bit, VGM, future, big beat, club, ambeint, etc, etc...

Overall... I'm loving these headphones!

EDIT: I have updated my opinion on these headphones, which somewhat contrasts this post http://www.head-fi.org/t/827438/yamaha-hph-mt8-studio-monitor-headphones/90#post_13409558

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #57 of 207
  ----------------------------
Are they as good as the Mt-220's?    Yes
Are they better?  hmmmmm....yes I think they will be but if you have MT220's you shouldn't be paying to upgrade!
----------------------------

Cheers Mr Moses. I am happy with my MT220s and really don't want to upgrade just for the sake of detachable cable and other ergonomic features as the SQ seems to be pretty much on par. I would have thought so based on the technical specifications and apparently they use same drivers from as per Yamaha Japan's tech representative.

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #59 of 207
  Oh, lookie! It's only $200 on the American Amazon now...and is out of stock. XD

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HPH-MT8-Monitor-Headphones-Black/dp/B01N4P1PKT

It has not been available on Amazon.co.uk yet.

I was tempted to try the MT8 but I went for the new Focal Listen - but after nearly 100 hours burn-in I feel that it is not a patch on the MT220, in fact I am quite disappointed by the Listen, the vocals on the Listen are a little more forward than the MT220 but with no more resolution in the mids, sub bass, bass clout, treble detail and soundstage on the MT220 totally knocks the stuffing out of the Listen.

The Listens are no where near as comfortable as the MT220 - not to mention energy, excitement and dynamics.

Are you tempted to try the AQ Nightowls after your experience with the Nighthawks, was there anything that you liked about them? 

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #60 of 207
  It has not been available on Amazon.co.uk yet.

I was tempted to try the MT8 but I went for the new Focal Listen - but after nearly 100 hours burn-in I feel that it is not a patch on the MT220, in fact I am quite disappointed by the Listen, the vocals on the Listen are a little more forward than the MT220 but with no more resolution in the mids, sub bass, bass clout, treble detail and soundstage on the MT220 totally knocks the stuffing out of the Listen.

The Listens are no where near as comfortable as the MT220.

Are you tempted to try the AQ Nightowls after your experience with the Nighthawks, was the anything that you liked about them? 

Speaking of Focal, I bought a Focal Elear and should have it in a day or three. (I returned the HD 800.)

I had two Focal Spirit Professionals in the past. The Listen seems to be its successor. I thought the MT220 was better than the Spirit Pro in just about every way...but I'm sure you've already seen my posts about that.

Anyway, you should try equalizing it before giving up on it. I always make sure to do that with headphones now.

I don't like the NightHawk much, even with EQ, so no. There are plenty of things I liked about it, but too many things I disliked. (Way too soft/smooth, nasty reflections/resonances...just did not sound realistic at all to me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back