Yamaha HPH-MT7, New Professional Studio Monitor Headphones
Feb 25, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #46 of 63
  >>>What source/ DAC/ amp are you using?<<<

Burson Audio's Lycan with the V5-D chip, Matrix's M-Stage with the Burson Audio Supreme Sound V5-D chip, and my Mackie 1402-VLZ3 mixer. 

Dave, I am not familiar with any of your gear but it sounds impressive.

For listening to music you could of course leave out your mixer as we all know the less gear in the way the better.

I find the sub-bass on the MT220 addictive but we all seek improvement and probably will never be happy!
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #47 of 63
  The sound of headphones is soooo subjective. I tried the MT-220, and thought that they were bass heavy, and the bass wasn't just overwhelming, it was muddy, with no definition. I also thought that the headphones were a bad physical fit for me. I could barely move my head, or tilt it, without the headphones falling off. That simply won't work for me. I did like the fact that the MT-220's came closer in SPL's, to the SONY 7506's, compared to almost every other headphone I've tried lately, but that alone was not enough reason to keep them. With that in mind, would I like the MT7's? I have tried many headphones, hoping one day, I will find a closed back headphone that exceeds the fit and reproduction of the SONY 7506, but haven't found it yet. I even tried the SONY 7510, and 7520, and passed on those too. I'm pretty much ready to abandon my quest. 

Have you tried the Beyerdynamic T5p? there is also a new T5p version 2. The bass is very tight, and the sound is detailed. 

I've owned both 7506 and Mdr-v6. To my ears, the 7520 is a big step up in sound quality. It takes a bit of getting used to but it is among my favourite top closed cans. But, yeah, not the most comfy. Build is fine though, well except for the creeky cups that I had to fix. 

The T5p, excellent build and comfort, and the sound was luxurious yet balanced.

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #48 of 63
Thanks for the tip, but the T5p is definitely out of my price range. Chicago's AXPONA (2016) is quickly approaching. I'll definitely be listening to a lot of headphones there. One of my most favorite open-back type headphone has always been the Sennheiser HD650. I'm going to give those one more listen at AXPONA. I can't wait for AXPONA!! 

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #49 of 63
  Thanks for the tip, but the T5p is definitely out of my price range. Chicago's AXPONA (2016) is quickly approaching. I'll definitely be listening to a lot of headphones there. One of my most favorite open-back type headphone has always been the Sennheiser HD650. I'm going to give those one more listen at AXPONA. I can't wait for AXPONA!! 

Wow, enjoy AXPONA. I'd say the 650s are an excellent bet and are going to do things a closed back generally cannot or at least at for a much lower price. Would be an excellent complement to your 7506.

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #55 of 63
In response to the ones saying it's lacking bass. I wholeheartedly DISAGREE. Miami bass tracks are reproduced wonderefully un-eq'd. Comparing to the $150 segment standard- the ATH-M50x, these have more bass. These sound better in every respect compared to the Audio Technica.

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #57 of 63
  it do have bass, still i hope the mt-8 will have a little more, as it's more a still quite soft, in some tracks,
and not so easy to EQ to get more

I respectfully disagree on all your points. ALL, and I've read them all, even translated the foreign ones- all the professional reviews that i've read has said the bass is a bit bass forward, while everthing else being accurate. My opinions and experience echo this. It's not meant to be be a "fun" headphone... it's a monitor headphone. That being said, sound quality is exceptional, IMO, easily outclassing the popular and perceived price class ($150ish) leader- the AT ATH-M50x.

It's unfortunate that the design does not allow for folding nor does it have a detatchable cord- as these were deal breakers to most... and almost was for me, but in the end, I thought sound quality and comfort were more important.

Also unfortunate- is I only got these headphones 3 weeks ago. Yamaha has addressed the folding and detatchable issues with the HPH-MT5 and HPH-MT8.

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #58 of 63
may be so, wouldn't say its a bass-heavy headphone, compared to some heavier, its only a 40mm driver

its all-right, though hopefully the mt-8 will be better, it's a pity they won't do a 50 mm, still they may want the intricate sound, or just wait to release better later

the mt-7 is probably compared to the hs7 studio monitor speakers, which has less imaging, and a lot less bass, compared to the hs-8 speakers, in their lineup

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #59 of 63
  may be so, wouldn't say its a bass-heavy headphone, compared to some heavier, its only a 40mm driver

its all-right, though hopefully the mt-8 will be better, it's a pity they won't do a 50 mm, still they may want the intricate sound, or just wait to release better later

the mt-7 is probably compared to the hs7 studio monitor speakers, which has less imaging, and a lot less bass, compared to the hs-8 speakers, in their lineup

Well I'm betting the HPH-MT8 will have the same sound signature as the HPH-MT220. Both have 45mm drivers so it's not out of the realm of possibiility that the drivers used in the 220 will go in the 8... as it's been stated by Yamaha that the MT-5 and MT-8 will replace the MT-220 and MT-120 in their monitor headphone lineup respectively.

Again, this is not meant to be a bass heavy headphone. It's not designed to be one. It's designed to be accurate. If you are looking for a "Beats sound signature," or a bass-dominating sound- look elsewhere.

That being said, again, the bass is more than adequate in all frequency ranges IMO. It even does my Miami bass tracks from the early 90's well. Prospective buyers of these Yamaha monitors might be off-put by you comments.

The sound is simply amazing. I'm definitely in the running for the MT-5 or MT-8 for my DJ cans... for it's foldability and replaceable cord. Waiting for the price points and early opinions on these upcoming cans.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #60 of 63
Heres my long review of these from reddit:

***Go to #3 for the review lol-------------------- PICTURE http://imgur.com/a/nSS0V
1 First off I want to say, this is the only personal review of these on the internet. A few blogs/ websites have reviews but they seem more as if theyre just marketing them rather than being really in depth. I felt this could help some people out.

2 So anyways, about a month ago I got the Beyerdynamic DT 990's. Even though I read they have an extreme high end i chose to go with them anyways. They are the most comfortable headphones ive ever put on my head. But the high end is absolutely ridiculous, I'm a drummer of 6 years and even my abused ears couldnt handle them. Which is a shame because I really wanted to like them, especially considering how comfy they were. So I started doing hours of research, and figured for the type of production I do ( dubstep/future garage/other random ****) the DT 770s would be a good option. One of my buddies went to NAMM and knows how much I love my Hs8's so he told me Yamaha had brand new Studio headphones out on display and to check them out. S0 i looked them up and found very little info about them, yet saw that guitar center near me had them in stock.

3 I go to guitar center to Compare the Yams to the 770's. The dude wouldnt take the Yams out of the box for me to try so I got annoyed and bought both to compare them. For hours I listened back and forth between the 770s and yams to all different genres. Surprisingly the Yams outdid the 770. The Bass on these is incredible, yet not overbearing. The way it seperates the lows/mids/highs from eachother is so helpful for mixing purposes and even listening. The high end is extremely detailed but not spiked up, no ear fatigue from these, although the 770s had maybe 5% better high end these are still great. The mids are extremely full and honest. I can hear every little detail/change i make while designing a sound, anything from Saw stacks, basses, atmospheric chords to plucks. No Change goes by unnoticed. The build quality on these is crazy for 170$, they have a very premium feel/finish except for the cloth covering the drivers, that id prefer they change and maybe make a little thicker. As far as negatives go, Id say the cloth on the inside that i just mentioned and the high ends could maybe be 5% tighter. But thats being really picky. Also the overall comfort was better on the 770s, while these arent really that bad they could be a bit more comfy. If you told me these were 300$ Id still buy them and think they were made without any compromises.

4 As far as comparing them to the dt 770s, what made the Yams really win out was the Low end and mids.Both were being clearer, more telling and just overall better. A few songs where the Yams really stood out was Virtual Riot- " stay for a while" and Skrillex "leaving". Both of these songs have a very deep low end and alot of random highs, the reverb tails and the low end was so much clearer on the yams. I love how the Yams Do everything they do while still being an overall pretty flat headphone, definitely flat enough for serious production.

5 So overall Lows- 9.5/10 Mids- 9.5/10 highs- 8.5/10 Comfort 7/10 OVERALL 9/10 * especially considering theyre only 170$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back