Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
May 31, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #3,286 of 3,295
Recently I was able to contact Yamaha directly and order the originals. They do if fact disintegrate over time but they sound better than others I've tried and they are extremely comfortable IMO.

If you do contact them make sure you specify you are looking for a PAIR not One. I received one and had to repeatedly contact (and reason with) them to get them to send another.

Can you please tell me the exact "location" (link) where you contacted Yamaha, or how?
I'm asking because I also wanted to get replacement pads directly from them, but I didn't receive a reply. I used the contact form on the site or something similar.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #3,289 of 3,295
Unfortunately, the new pads I ordered from Yamaha (not cheap either) also disintegrated after only a few months of light use. MUCH faster than the original pads that came on the headphones even though they seemed like the same pads. Also, all the stuff on the headband in falling apart too :triportsad:.

Ridiculous IMO as the core structure of the headphones are rock solid. Also I love the sound and comfort of these headphones but What?

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #3,290 of 3,295
As I have mentioned in other headphone threads, pleather earpads nowadays are all made of biodegradable material which will "disintegrate" for environment protection purpose. To avoid this premature disintegration, wipe clean any face and hair grease from the ear and head pads with a dampened cloth every time after use.

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #3,291 of 3,295
As I have mentioned in other headphone threads, pleather earpads nowadays are all made of biodegradable material which will "disintegrate" for environment protection purpose. To avoid this premature disintegration, wipe clean any face and hair grease from the ear and head pads with a dampened cloth every time after use.

That said, the Yamaha factory replacement pads are a huge rip-off in cost IMO and disintegrate WAY too quickly. In 2 weeks of very clean, sparse use they started falling apart. Also to repeat, the rest of the material on the headband, both the underside and upper (which doesn't touch my head), has fallen apart. Because the new pads started falling apart WAY faster than the original pads I can only assume they are disintegrating in the protective plastic packaging before they are even opened. I must therefore conclude that the build quality of the headphones in every other regard is FAR better than the pads and headband covering. As far as I know, I can't replace the headphone band material without a huge amount of DIY BS. It's a real shame because I really like these headphones when intact. Also, these headphones were more expensive than several pairs of headphones which I've used constantly for many more years which are not falling apart AT ALL.

In addition, I always keep things clean so "premature disintegration" shouldn't cum so quickly. :lips:

Oct 21, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #3,293 of 3,295
Can you please tell me the exact "location" (link) where you contacted Yamaha, or how?
I'm asking because I also wanted to get replacement pads directly from them, but I didn't receive a reply. I used the contact form on the site or something similar.

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/parts_manuals/index.html

Sorry for the belated response. Don't do Headfi often.
Also, as I've stated, I had problems with these so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back