Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Aug 18, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #3,016 of 3,295
So I got the Fostex TH-X00 PHs in and they sound great. The MT220s are so good though, that it holds its own against the Fostex. The main distinctions between the MT220s and the X00 PHs is that the MT220s are more intimate and boast a smaller soundstage, and the PHs have more rumble and boast a larger soundstage. The Yamaha's actually have quite a bit of the bass that the Fostex's have.

It's hard to say which one I like more...I'm on a PH listening marathon right now so when I listen to the Yamaha's again I'll provide some more feedback. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #3,017 of 3,295
  So I got the Fostex TH-X00 PHs in and they sound great. The MT220s are so good though, that it holds its own against the Fostex. The main distinctions between the MT220s and the X00 PHs is that the MT220s are more intimate and boast a smaller soundstage, and the PHs have more rumble and boast a larger soundstage. The Yamaha's actually have quite a bit of the bass that the Fostex's have.

It's hard to say which one I like more...I'm on a PH listening marathon right now so when I listen to the Yamaha's again I'll provide some more feedback. 

Thank you for sharing. Great to know. Love to hear more feedback when you can. :)

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #3,018 of 3,295

Larger soundstage and more rumble can be a good thing. (Though I don't really care about soundstage in headphones.)

If you've heard some of the other headphones I'm about to mention...

Do you know if the TH-X00 Purpleheart sounds better than the original TH-X00?

How does it compare to the TH900 in your opinion? I know some actually prefer the TH-X00 over the TH900.

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #3,019 of 3,295

I compared my TH 600 to the MT 220 to decide if I could sell the Fostex and like you I found the MT 22o was good enough that I could let the Fostex go and still have a great closed headphone on hand. I needed to use the TH 600 as trade plus cash I received along with a mint HD 600 I wanted to pair with an OTL amp.

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #3,020 of 3,295
i feel now when trying more headphones that mt220 doesnt sound so good, it has more sub, still the highs are too piercing, too sharp and uncontrolled, especially when turning them up on a higher level on sound 

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #3,021 of 3,295
  i feel now when trying more headphones that mt220 doesnt sound so good, it has more sub, still the highs are too piercing, too sharp and uncontrolled, especially when turning them up on a higher level on sound 

Many headphones start to sound like you are describing when turned up. A gentle EQ cut where needed can easily restore a better balanced sound. The TH 900, TH 600, HE 560, HD 800 are all examples of excellent and well received headphones that are well known for at times sounding bright, certainly when turned up. The MT220 is not perfect, but it responds nicely to modest EQ cuts.

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #3,022 of 3,295

In addition to what Sonic said, you could try different pads. I found that the HM5 hybrids mellows out the highs nicely.

Aug 18, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #3,023 of 3,295

In addition to what Sonic said, you could try different pads. I found that the HM5 hybrids mellows out the highs nicely.

Do the hybrids affect bass response, or alter the sound other than smoothing out the highs?

Anyone have experience on using standard HM5 pads vs. the hybrids?

Personally, I think I would prefer hybrids since I am a fan of velour over anything to keep things cool.

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #3,024 of 3,295
  I compared my TH 600 to the MT 220 to decide if I could sell the Fostex and like you I found the MT 22o was good enough that I could let the Fostex go and still have a great closed headphone on hand. I needed to use the TH 600 as trade plus cash I received along with a mint HD 600 I wanted to pair with an OTL amp.

It's funny you should mention the TH600's here. As I'm listening to these, I feel like they do resemble the TH600's sound. They have that sub bass emphasis and that sharpish "icy" treble too.

I feel like the two are probably pretty similar sonically.

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #3,025 of 3,295

It's funny you should mention the TH600's here. As I'm listening to these, I feel like they do resemble the TH600's sound. They have that sub bass emphasis and that sharpish "icy" treble too.

I feel like the two are probably pretty similar sonically.

Yes, that was almost exactly my experience. I think the Fostex had greater soundstage depth, and a little more width, but beyond that the two signatures struck me as fairly similar.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #3,027 of 3,295
  Many headphones start to sound like you are describing when turned up. A gentle EQ cut where needed can easily restore a better balanced sound. The TH 900, TH 600, HE 560, HD 800 are all examples of excellent and well received headphones that are well known for at times sounding bright, certainly when turned up. The MT220 is not perfect, but it responds nicely to modest EQ cuts.

i felt trying with the original pads, with Viper4Android, it was not possible to get it, without lowering the quality of the tracks especially in the highs

a change of pads, would be ideal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back