Yamaha HPH-200 (Pictures and review) [Updated]
Feb 18, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #47 of 210
They do seem to have quite a bump in the 8Khz region, but usually it can add a bit of airiness to the sound. My Hifiman HE-500 also have a treble bump around 10Khz, but its not really a problem when listening. Usually peaks in the 5-7Khz range can be quite annoying or add sibilance.

Unfortunately all open headphones are susceptible to outside noises. It is why you shouldn't use them in noisy areas as it can actually be dangerous to your hearing as you want to crank them up to drown out outside noises. In that sense closed headphones could be better suited to your environment. Perhaps give something like the not too expensive Creative Aurvana Live! a shot which seems like a stupendous value at <$70.

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #48 of 210
Thanks for those comments. I'd like to keep these, or maybe get a different pair of open-backed ones, to have along with whatever closed headphones I eventually get. To have one of each kind seems like a really nice idea.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #49 of 210
How is the bass on these headphones, particularly sub-bass? How much quantity does it have?
Do these respond well to EQ?
I want to use these primarily for games and movies on my PC.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #50 of 210
These are my favorite headphones, as evidenced in my signature.  They have less bass quantity than S500, but more than Takstar Pro 80 and Martin Logan Mikros 90.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #51 of 210
  How is the bass on these headphones, particularly sub-bass? How much quantity does it have?

Their bass is really punchy and full of warmth. In terms of quantity this headphones can be considered 'bass heavy open headphones' by comparison.

The lowest sub-bass (20Hz - 40Hz) is not as powerful as in bassheads closed back headphones for sure, but it's still there.

If you want more focus on sub-bass sounds, but you don't want closed-back headphones, you should also consider Philips Fidelio L1.

HPH-200 are more detailed, lively and sound more open and punchy.
L1's on the other hand are darker, more laid back and don't sound as open to my ears.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #52 of 210

I don't do much gaming, but I have to think that the HPH-200s might not be the best for that use. They really rely on the listener being in a completely quiet environment, as far as I can tell, in order for their sound to be clearly present. In a room with vent noises, hums, or the like, the bass especially is significantly impacted. It seems that for gaming, the fact that you would have sounds coming from your controllers and the motions of your body would be enough to throw it off. You could turn up the volume really loud in order to counteract this effect, but that might result in levels unsafe for your ears, especially since the headphones have a certain treble spike as well. I always pictured gaming headphones to be more the closed, bass-heavy sort of models. For me, the HPH-200s are good when you're lying down in a very quiet room.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #53 of 210
Closed cans often lack the sound staging and pinpoint imaging required for gaming, which is usually a given for open cans. Its one of the reasons why the Audio Technica ATH-700 and AKG K701 were popular in my gaming days. The Hifiman HE-500 for example can throw an incredibly wide sound stage which often make you glance behind you and do quick check whether the sound actually came from a headphone or the outside world.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #54 of 210
Thanks Me x3 and Darner for both your feedback. I want a bassy open headphone as my wife is sick of shouting at me to no response when she talks me at home!
confused_face.gif
Which is exactly the case when I use my ASG 1.2 at my PC. I think the bass from the ASG is good and if the HPH-200 is the same level I will be happy!

I was looking at buying the Philips X1, but it doesn't seem to a huge step up considering it's 3 times the price as I can get the HPH-200 for.

I will also look into the Philips L1, thanks for the suggestion Me x3.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #55 of 210
  Thanks Me x3 and Darner for both your feedback. I want a bassy open headphone as my wife is sick of shouting at me to no response when she talks me at home!
confused_face.gif
Which is exactly the case when I use my ASG 1.2 at my PC. I think the bass from the ASG is good and if the HPH-200 is the same level I will be happy!

I was looking at buying the Philips X1, but it doesn't seem to a huge step up considering it's 3 times the price as I can get the HPH-200 for.

I will also look into the Philips L1, thanks for the suggestion Me x3.

I have L1 dan HPH-200, and L1 bass is better than HPH-200. mid and treble are slightly clearer on HPH-200 though. the cup material, however, is much better in L1, but it is hotter. cup material in HPH is cooler but more 'itchy'.

can you A/B the asg 1.2 and x10?

update: fidelio L1 is on sale in down under, to AUD 99:

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/37325

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #56 of 210
Hi nino9,

When you say the L1 bass is better you mean the impact is more? Or the quality is better? If you had to allocate numbers for bass quantity and quality what would you give? e.g an 8 vs 7. Additionally if possible, numbers for soundstage, mids, and treble between the two headphones. How do they both respond to EQ? Which would you say is better for movies and games?

Does it matter if I wear glasses? Will comfort significantly decrease?

Thanks for the head up, but unfortunately I missed out on the sale. :frowning2:

I don't have the X10 anymore. But from memory the bass is the main thing you notice about the X10 as it had a laidback, dark warm signature. The ASG has great mids and bass with more details. Of course without hearing both side by side take this with a grain of salt.

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #57 of 210
This is so weird. Now Catch of the Day is having a sale for the Yamaha HPH-200. http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/37343
This time I didn't miss out! :D
Kinda wish I could've bought the Philips L1 to compare them.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #58 of 210
Ha!  I also missed out on the L1 and have now pulled the trigger on the hph-200's.  I purchased the yamaha beats lookalike pro500's from the same site and have been very happy with them.  Seems like yamaha is doing well with their headphones of late.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #59 of 210
BigDave I'd be very interested to hear pro 500 compared to the hph 200 when you receive it!

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #60 of 210
no problem, done.  However, totally different beasts (one a big closed can and the other a smaller open can).  The 500's are very sensitive and have nice sparkle and energy with a good bottom end.  But they are a pig to wear (made for giants - don't know what yamaha were thinking).  I have it on the smallest setting and they are still a little loose on my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back