Yamaha HP-3 limited Loaner programme
Mar 16, 2009 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Kabeer

Vintage Ortho Ninja 🥷
Currently the programme is on hold, Ludoo still has the HP-3, but has not found time to damp them yet, sorry about that, once its ready ill bump the thread again
EDIT: Apologies to everyone involved, but the tour is cancelled. Bit of a shame it didnt get off the ground

Ok, so Ludoo and I have got a set of Yamaha HP-3 Orthodynamic headphones.
They have been damped very well according to us (the Euro Yammy wing type damping
wink.gif
).
The damping scheme used is as follows: "PENDING"

This particular set is not actually the bass heavy variant (im not so sure its the same as the 'normal' variants out there too..), but its great in other ways, and I'm sure it will be better than a lot more fancy looking orthos
wink.gif

It should demonstrate tightness across the band, and a balance somewhere around the vaunted equilibrium point that we search for. I think these might suprise you. Most of the magic will be in the damping.
Also I think it would be good to have a reference that we all agree upon in the ortho thread. And I think a lot of you ortho modders or even potential modders would benefit from hearing a well damped ortho.

We will start the tour off in Europe in the next few weeks. Once Europe has been served, its off to Australasia, then they will cross over to USA. This should help keep shipping costs a little lower. But all register your interest now, so the EU+USA register can be drawn up

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rules:
1) You must be an active head-fier with 500+ posts and positive seller feedback, or ortho thread regular.
Or a 'headphone supremus' can vouch for you and takes full responsibility for any problems that might arise.
2) You must use registered post to post the headphones (person with the headphones pays the postage cost)
Retain your registered post details, in the event we need to ask you for it.
(ALSO note: you must ensure the packaging is adequate for the next journey, if the shipping box you receive is badly damaged, you must rebox it, if its fine, just remove/cover old labels and seal it up)

3) The loan is for 1 week maximum , at which point you must post it forward to the next person on the list, THE ORDER OF THE LIST IS DECIDED BY US and is posted below (if you only want it for a few days, then post it after those few days). You contact the next person yourself via PM, and also keep us updated on this thread.
4) If you are not available to receive the headphone, you MUST contact Ludo or I to remove you from the list asap, or possibly move you in line.
5) You post your impressions of it on this thread
smily_headphones1.gif
6) If you lose it, or damage it you will pay a penalty of 100 Euros (lost), or if damaged the penalty will depend on the particular circumstance.
7) You will ensure that you take reasonable care of the headphone, and make sure it stays clean and presentable (it's 30 years old but that doesnt mean it shouldnt be treated any less than ur new fancy cans
smily_headphones1.gif
). and KEEP ANY PETS AWAY FROM THEM.
8) You MUST have a dedicated headphone amplifier (at least a decent portable, or better a desktop). These cans are very hard to drive, and it would be useless to loan it to someone without one.
9) Under NO circumstance can you open these up to take a look inside, or change the damping etc... We will add a "secret agent device" that will allow us to detect if they have been opened
tongue.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact ludoo or me (prefereably use the email option, as my pm box tends to get full) to register your place on the list. There are already a few people on it.

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 42
[size=medium]Loan List[/size]:

EUROPE:
Preliminary:
Antonyfirst
April:
DefectiveAudioComponent (Sweden)
Hans Dorn (Germany)

AUSTRALASIA:
rolleyes.gif

stevenkelby (Adelaide)
fraseyboy (Christchurch, New Zealand)

U.S.A:
dBel84, Sachu, (Portland)
Wualta, (Western Michigan)
FooTemps, (Bellingham, WA)
Acix (SA, FL),
malldian, (Califon, NJ),
TopPop, (Champaign, IL),
Scompton (Arlington, VA)
Pars (Chicago)

Whomever is the final person on the list will then return them to me.

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 42
The phones have been recabled with Mogami (a short cable as I cannibalized the one I had on my T20v2), they have been damped and are currently on loan to a fellow HFier who lives nearby to cross-check their sound quality. His impressions match mines (they sound great but are very slightly overdamped), so they will undergo a final tuning before shipping.

As Kabeer said, this is the Euro Yammy Damping, so no reflex dots to mess up the sound, more treble and separation than most other orthos, and enough bass to satisfy most of you. :p

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does New Zealand count as Europe? O_O

Whoops, I forgot about there. Hmm, I mean the only real issue would be postage costs. Because during the inter-continental postage sections, someone will have to pay a larger fee.

Ok well seems like there will be Aussie tour as well. I guess we will have to consider whether it fits before or after the USA tour.

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #11 of 42
The euro ortho damping has been detailed in the ortho thread in the past on numerous occasions. Let's try to keep this thread limited to the loaner programme and impressions, or it will become a clone of the ortho thread, and just as unmanageable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The euro ortho damping has been detailed in the ortho thread in the past on numerous occasions. Let's try to keep this thread limited to the loaner programme and impressions, or it will become a clone of the ortho thread, and just as unmanageable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Then perhaps a link to that damping scheme in the OP of this thread should serve all interested in the loaner program well..

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then perhaps a link to that damping scheme in the OP of this thread should serve all interested in the loaner program well..

You're name has been added. Maybe it might be wise to place you next to the queue with dBel84, and then there would be no postage costs in that transition.
I will detail the damping scheme above once it is fully finalised. At this moment its using the same scheme as Ludoo's HP-50 (but sound is quite different)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great program. Props to those who set it up!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks! Most of the props should probably go to Ludoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back