Yamaha EPH100 vs Sennheiser IE80 for isolation
Jan 23, 2014 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jipsom

New Head-Fier
These headphones have been compared all over this forum and I've read all of it (I think). Following which, I have no doubt that the IE80s win on sound quality. My problem is this: I tend to use them mostly for travel to and from work on the London tube. With my current BeyerDynamic 101s I don't get quite get enough isolation (and they're fizzing on one channel, so it's time to upgrade anyway). What do you guys think? Will I get enough isolation from the IE80s to enjoy them or will I be safer with the Yamahas?
Please don't give me other options. It's taken me three weeks to chisel it down to these two
confused_face.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 5
Sennheiser don't isolate much at all and the EPH-100 isolate quite well. In a loud environment the EPH-100 will sound better.
If you listen to metal, synth, fast electronic music, new wave and classical get the FXD70 instead. Better sound and better isolating with these foam tips.
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-PR-Memory-Foam-Tips-Earbuds-Eartips-For-Most-in-ear-earphones-Sony-Mdr-as-40ex-/321040110591?pt=AU_Electronics_Portable_Audio_Accessories&hash=item4abf7b53ff

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks Sweden. Very helpful.
I tend to listen to everything - classical, rock, folk, electro-pop - so I do need something that will run the gamut of music. I'll look into your recommendation, but it sounds like the Yams are the way to go. I tried the Shure 535s following another recommendation. Fantastic isolation, but I didn't like the sound sig. Might be my ears; I just found them uninvolving and a bass-light. Technically amazing for sure. But they lacked fun. It was like dating a scientist instead of a stripper.

I've said enough :)

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the confirmation. The Yamahas sound like they're the winner. However, despite my insistence that I had whittled it down to only those two, I have been steered towards the DN1000. Have read a lot about them today and they do seem amazing for around the same money. Sod it. I'm going to order them both and the compare directly. Will let you guys know what I think if you're interested.
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back