Yamaha EPH100 discontinued! Please recommend me another IEM
Jan 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

canzz

New Head-Fier
Hı everyone. Im Can and I just registered to this awesome forum. (thanks to the guy who did the Multi IEM review!!) 

Pardon me for my bad english and my lack of knowledge on IEMs. Im new :)

I  mostly listen to electronic music (trance). Ihave used CX300 and SE215 so far and love the bassy characteristic of CX300 and love the purity of the sound on SE215. 

CX300: getting old, want a higher quality IEM
SE215: maybe its so pure but I feel I need more bass and volume :s (I admit that its sound feel the most real sound I have heard though)

What I need is;

-50 to 200$ IEM 
-Bassy characteristic
-High volume ( Lets say not low volume )
-Suitable for Electronic music 

optional 
-since I mostly use it with my iPhone it would be good to have mic and controls. (Quality is more important. EPH-100 had no controls or anythnig but I Was going to buy it :) )

Thanks for reading

sincerely....

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 16
BTW if you will suggest that Yamaha EPH-100 can be found but still have an idea or another IEM that would be suitable for me. Please share. Im new to here. Maybe your suggestion will be a better IEM for me.

Thanks..

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 16
I believe the EPH-100 is still afloat, just in case you wanted it. http://www.yamahashoponline.com/detail/YAM+EPH-100SL
It's a direct buy, so YAMAHA is still manufacturing these jewels.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 16
sounds like MH1C to me.

EDIT:  MH1C=EPH100 > SE215LTD . imo
i honestly dont know how anyone thinks the mb1c compares to the yamahas. the mh1c has only one redeeming quality over the yammys: better sub bass extension. the yamahas smome them in every other category especially mid and high extension, sound separation and 3d presence. the only way the sony could ever compete is if your source is badly compressed or you arent getting a good seal with the yammys. i have even tried to eq the sonys and they still cant pull off the separation or high detail.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 16
Also, there's the Sony MH1C that can be had for as low as $20. I still prefer my EPH-100 to the MH1C, but some actually find the MH1C better. It has a heavy low end with a voluminous impact (just like the EPH-100), a warmish midrange that is well balanced (again, just like the EPH-100, but I found the EPH-100 more neutral), and the highs are smooth and not the most extensive (also a feature shared with the EPH-100, but the MH1C offered a bit of sparkle unlike the completely smoothed over EPH-100). There's also the Atrio MG7, which has a huge bass volume, slightly recessed midrange, and decent treble extension which can flaunt a nice amount of sparkle. Basically, basshead low end, but still very good along the entire specturm. So, in retrospect, I think you'd find the Atrio MG7 to be your perfect earphone, but if you want to be a bit frugal, try the MH1C, and if you really loved the EPH-100 that much, http://www.yamahashoponline.com/detail/YAM+EPH-100SL

Here's a link - http://www.amazon.com/Atrio-Future-Sonic-010-045-technology/dp/B000UKMZ94/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358914188&sr=8-1&keywords=atrio+mg7

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
sounds like MH1C to me.

EDIT:  MH1C=EPH100 > SE215LTD . imo

I totally agree with that!
smily_headphones1.gif
Here's a +1

Quote:
i honestly dont know how anyone thinks the mb1c compares to the yamahas. the mh1c has only one redeeming quality over the yammys: better sub bass extension. the yamahas smome them in every other category especially mid and high extension, sound separation and 3d presence. the only way the sony could ever compete is if your source is badly compressed or you arent getting a good seal with the yammys. i have even tried to eq the sonys and they still cant pull off the separation or high detail.

The MH1C has better sparkle than the EPH-100 too. Both have generally smooth highs though. The EPH-100 has more neutral mids, but they still have very comparable signatures.

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
I totally agree with that!
smily_headphones1.gif
Here's a +1

The MH1C has better sparkle than the EPH-100 too. Both have generally smooth highs though. The EPH-100 has more neutral mids, but they still have very comparable signatures.

Yeah I'm not getting more sparkle from my MH1C's over the EPH-100s. Maybe if I pump the treble on the EQ to like +6db but even then, the extension isn't really there imo. MH1C just sounds very dark to me overall. Its still great for $30 though since it can be listened to at moderate to loud volumes with no distortion whatsoever and has really nice sub-bass.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Yeah I'm not getting more sparkle from my MH1C's over the EPH-100s. Maybe if I pump the treble on the EQ to like +6db but even then, the extension isn't really there imo. MH1C just sounds very dark to me overall. Its still great for $30 though since it can be listened to at moderate to loud volumes with no distortion whatsoever and has really nice sub-bass.

Yeah, I can definitely see how the MH1C's have a warmer midrange. Allow me to adjust my statement. "The MH1C has [slightly] better sparkle than the EPH-100." But both are quite smooth, so not really much competition in the treble range.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 16
I'm sad that they are discontinued. Hopefully they will have a replacement since they we truly epic IEMs considering the price range.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 16
You'll still be able to get them for awhile before all the stocks gone just like the RE262 that's discontinued.  I wonder why they're discontinuing them because I'd think they're a good seller, they're on page like 6 or 7 when searching for most popular in ear on Amazon.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 16
The GR07, Sony XB90EX, UE TF10Pro and JVC FXZ200 are great buy and they offers great soundquality with tight punchy bass.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
I'm sad that they are discontinued. Hopefully they will have a replacement since they we truly epic IEMs considering the price range.

If they ARE discontinued (i'm too lazy to research now), hopefully it's cause they're replacing it with a better IEM of the same price range. The competition has changed I feel. I'm new here but even I see it. Hard-hitters like the TDK IE800 and BA200 comes to mind. Something less warm, with better treble presence, wider soundstage and a cord with less microphonics/memory. Nevertheless I love my pair aesthetically (really love) and sonically. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #14 of 16
Ok, so now I'm nearly 100% certain that the EPH-100 has not yet been discontinued. On the Yamaha homepage - http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/headphones/ - the EPH-100 is included in their headphone/earphone lineup. Also, as I have previously mentioned, they are even selling the EPH-100 direct - http://www.yamahashoponline.com/detail/YAM+EPH-100SL

So, based on what I've found and read, it's still looks like they're making the EPH-100s. Maybe it's just newegg that stopped selling them, and amazon has stopped selling them for about half a year now, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. It's still being sold at other sites too - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/yamaha-eph-100-in-ear-professional-headphones

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 16
i'd assume there would be a discount if they were discontinued to liquidate existing stock. may be wishful thinking on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back