Yamaha eph-100 alternatives?
Jun 14, 2013 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Vimes

New Head-Fier
So I posted this same content  in the official thread for these specific headphones but I wanted to make a topic for it to so others would read it too.

I just got the Yamaha eph-100 a couple of days ago as an upgrade from the infamous cheap monoprice iems. I'm really impressed with the overall sound. The bass especially has a lot of impact.  I also tried these against the shure se215 and the etymotic hf5s.

Now the hfs are nice and clear but I thik the yamahas are just as clear really. But the hf5s have basically no bass, there's zero impact, they really are nothing in comparison.

The shure se215s have a nice bass and decent clarity but not great and not close to the yamahas.

So overall The yamahas are definitely my favourites and the ones I'm tempted to stick with. 

Now I say tempted because there's one thing that annoys me about them. And it's the treble and Hi hat type sounds have a really kind of tinny metalic sound to them. I think some people call it sparkly. Now I've eqd them a bit to try and remove it and i think it's a bit better now. But I'm wondering is there something similar to the yamahas in the price range that will be just as good but without the weird treble sound. I'm gonna try them for a couple of days more and see if i can adjust to it. But I'd like to hear others opinons. 

If the shures had the same clarity as the yamahas I'd use them ,is there a pair of headphones in the $150 dollar range that would be the best of both? I should say too build quality is very important and preferably a 2 year warranty.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 3
Give the autdio technica CKS77 or CKS1000 a try. I have the CKS77 and love them, wicked bass and forward mids. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back