Yamaha A-S500 ... finally something worth auditioning from Yamaha
Apr 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:
You say you don't think much of the Yamaha A-S500 amp, but you don't actually say what it is you don't like about it.

I don't think anybody is saying that it isn't a good amp.
I've found it to be a little hit or miss with headphones though.
with  some it sounds overly bright, and with some others it's sounded a bit jumbled together, maybe a bit compressed.
However,
With my Senn HD650's it was fine
and very good with my LCD2's.
Its as good as any of my receivers with the LCD2

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #32 of 45
I was replying to "estreeter" but thanks for the reply though, while you're here I was considering the DT 80 (600ohm) premiums do you think these would work on the Yamaha A-S500. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #33 of 45
Quote:
I was replying to "estreeter" but thanks for the reply though, while you're here I was considering the DT 80 (600ohm) premiums do you think these would work on the Yamaha A-S500. 

I have the Yamaha A-S2000 and have used my Beyer T1's on it before, it can drive them, but it will not be the best and it will click into Class B power with moderate volume. If you go loud, the unit will shut down. I doubt its much different for the A-S500.

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #34 of 45
Thanks for that Brunk, I've read a lot about them and already own the DT990 Pro's and DT 770 Pro and both are excellent on the Yamaha A-S500, in their respective sound signatures.
What is "Class B" power please?

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:
Thanks for that Brunk, I've read a lot about them and already own the DT990 Pro's and DT 770 Pro and both are excellent on the Yamaha A-S500, in their respective sound signatures.
What is "Class B" power please?

From Oriphus at Afterdawn;

Class A: Traditional and Expensive. Its a fully linear amplifier with active circuit elements biased into their linear operating region. This means that the region must have enough voltage range to encompass the entire amplitude of an incoming signal in order to reproduce it without clipping or compressing at either extreme. An amplifier's output power supply voltage must equal, roughly, 200% of the maximum output signal swing expected. This method of operation is pure, but inefficient.

Class B: These amplifiers are somewhat more efficient by utilizing two drive elements operating in a push-pull configuration. On the positive excursion of the signal, the upper element supplies power to the load while the lower is turned off. During negative going signal excursions, the opposite operation occurs. This increases operating efficiency, but suffers from the nonlinear turn-on, turn-off region created where the driver elements switch from their ON state to their OFF state. This switching error creates a condition commonly called cross-over distortion.

Class A/B: amplifiers remedy cross-over distortion to a great degree by combining the best features of both classes. The push-pull drivers are carefully biased just above their fully OFF state so that the transition between drivers is smoother. Therefore, each driver is never completely turned OFF. This alleviates most of the cross-over distortion at the expense of efficiency. An A/B amplifier is still more efficient (60 Ð 65%) than a Class A amplifier.

Class C: amplifiers, biased at or below cutoff, are commonly used for certain types of RF transmission, but not commonly used in audio applications.

Class D:Class D amplifiers are not digital in the true sense. They are not driven directly by coherent binary data. They do act digitally in that the output drivers operate either in the fully ON-region or fully OFF-region. Think of Class D amps as being similar to a switch-mode power supply, but with audio signals modulating the switching action.

A switch-mode power supply uses pulse-width modulation (PWM) to control the on/off duty cycle of the power switching transistor(s) providing power to a load. The efficiency is high because there is little voltage drop across the switch transistor during conduction. This means very low power dissipation in the switch while virtually all the power is transferred to the load. During the OFF period, there is essentially zero current flow. The quality and speed of MOSFET (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor) devices has led to compact, efficient, high frequency power supplies. Switch-mode power supplies are more efficient at high frequencies. At higher operating frequencies, components may become smaller and the power supply becomes very compact for the power delivered. In addition, the output filter components may be much smaller. Today, switching frequencies over 1 MHz are not uncommon. But, as you probably know, switch-mode supplies generate considerable noise.

Audio signals can be used to modulate a PWM system to create a high power audio amplifier at nominal voltages using small components. Class D audio utilizes a fixed, high frequency carrier having pulses that vary in width based on signal amplitude. Class D amplifiers reach efficiencies as high as 90%. This is of great importance to portable applications relying on battery power. Class D portable, battery-powered audio gear may have battery life extended by 2.5 times or more.

Thanks to Extron Electronics for saving me the time of having to write a lot of the Class D stuff myself :wink:

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:
Thanks Brunk, I thought that was quick typing, I'll spend some time digesting this info.
Thanks for your help.  Everyday's a school day!
Good listening.

Anytime
beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #38 of 45
i don't think the AS500 has the class A circuitry.
for some reason i believe that feature is reserved for the much higher end AS1000 and your AS2000.

btw, how does the AS2000 sound with speakers?

Apr 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:
i don't think the AS500 has the class A circuitry.
for some reason i believe that feature is reserved for the much higher end AS1000 and your AS2000.

btw, how does the AS2000 sound with speakers?

It blows anything Emotiva has out the water, and it is so musical and quiet, you wouldnt believe it came from Yamaha. When they release statement products like the A-S2000 however, its always a breakthrough. If there is one audio purchase I have made that I know will last me 20 years and was at a total steal of a price, this is it.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #40 of 45
i really want to try one.  i noticed hifiheaven has all the A-S models on sale(well they're store demo's).
if i hadn't dropped so much on my LCD2 / Woo set up i could have one.
i need a better paying job

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #42 of 45

Hi. I have had the A-S500 in my system for a short while and I was very impressed with it as a Headphone Amp. It drove all my High-impedance Sennheisers (HD540/HD560) and Beyerdynamics (DT-990 Pro/DT-990 Premium 600 Ohm/DT-880 Premium 600 Ohm) with aplomb and lots of headroom to spare. In the end I have returned it because it failed to impress me as a Speaker Amp. Then again, not every Amp out there has got what it takes to drive the fabulous yet notoriously difficult Yamaha NS-1000M! BTW, I am selling my DT-880 600 Ohm if anyone is interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695543/beyerdynamic-dt-880-premium-edition-600-ohm-excellent-condition

All the best.

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #43 of 45
Hey rocksteady65,
Thanks for the offer of the DT880's for sale but I got them now, had them a while.  I reckon they do get better with time.
Those Yamaha speakers are quality bit of kit and should suit the A-S500 well.  I have a pair of Q Acoustic 2050i's (max. handling 150Watt per speaker) and the amp will blow the roof off before any distortion happens.  I have bi-wired the amp and speakers and the sound is incredible; soundstage, clarity and separation of instruments / vocals.  
Good listening!

Aug 26, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #44 of 45
  Hi. I have had the A-S500 in my system for a short while and I was very impressed with it as a Headphone Amp. It drove all my High-impedance Sennheisers (HD540/HD560) and Beyerdynamics (DT-990 Pro/DT-990 Premium 600 Ohm/DT-880 Premium 600 Ohm) with aplomb and lots of headroom to spare. In the end I have returned it because it failed to impress me as a Speaker Amp. Then again, not every Amp out there has got what it takes to drive the fabulous yet notoriously difficult Yamaha NS-1000M! BTW, I am selling my DT-880 600 Ohm if anyone is interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695543/beyerdynamic-dt-880-premium-edition-600-ohm-excellent-condition

All the best.

That's funny - your experience as almost the exact opposite of mine!

I created a separate thread on the AS500 as a headamp, but in it I said: 

"I picked this up yesterday to drive speakers (Monitor Audio Silver 4is) in my man cave and in that role, I can't fault it! Clear sound, powerful and accurate. Miles Davis' Flamenco Sketches hasn't sounded so good in years... £170 from Richer Sounds is an absolute steal for this speaker amp!

But plug headphones in and it's a whole different story. Harsh, brittle and choppy. I bet my AKG 271s aren't a good match, but the amp actually introduced sibilance on songs where I've NEVER heard it before. Marilyn Manson went from glossily produced crunch with bite to a raspy mess. And poor old Miles has never sounded so shrill, like a sharp knife to the ears.

This is all in Pure Direct mode. Using the tone controls softened the sound, but introduced a mushy bloom. Turning the loudness down to -30db was only slightly better.

All in all, fantastic with speakers, dreadful with phones in my experience."

I've pasted it in here in case it's useful to anyone considering this integrated for double duty with phones.

May 22, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #45 of 45

That's funny - your experience as almost the exact opposite of mine!

I created a separate thread on the AS500 as a headamp, but in it I said: 

"I picked this up yesterday to drive speakers (Monitor Audio Silver 4is) in my man cave and in that role, I can't fault it! Clear sound, powerful and accurate. Miles Davis' Flamenco Sketches hasn't sounded so good in years... £170 from Richer Sounds is an absolute steal for this speaker amp!

But plug headphones in and it's a whole different story. Harsh, brittle and choppy. I bet my AKG 271s aren't a good match, but the amp actually introduced sibilance on songs where I've NEVER heard it before. Marilyn Manson went from glossily produced crunch with bite to a raspy mess. And poor old Miles has never sounded so shrill, like a sharp knife to the ears.

This is all in Pure Direct mode. Using the tone controls softened the sound, but introduced a mushy bloom. Turning the loudness down to -30db was only slightly better.

All in all, fantastic with speakers, dreadful with phones in my experience."

I've pasted it in here in case it's useful to anyone considering this integrated for double duty with phones.

Hey, this is a very nice speaker amp, stunning for the price!

Here you can find information about its headphone jack.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/768188/unmasking-headphone-jack-specs-from-yamaha-receivers

There's enough info there to explain why the AKG K271 isn't a good match for the headphone jack on this (and many other) speaker integrated amps and AV receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back