Yahoo Messenger or MSN Messenger?
Feb 28, 2006 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
I am thinking to get a webcam so I can talk to my family on the other side.
Currently I am trying out Yahoo Messenger, but sometimes they are just to many spams popping around disguised as instant messages... Plus there are not so many people in the chatroom too; kinda boring.

I was thinking to try MSN messenger, but having known that it's associated with Windows, I was just thinking whether its got lots of windows spyware or crap like that installed within MSN.

If MSN is free from spyware or something like that (or at least the same as Yahoo), and its got better user interface and more users, then maybe I'd switch to MSN.

Which one do you think is a better one?

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #3 of 16
MSN has the best interface, IMO, but its really crap for transferring files/webcam etc

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 16
What's Trillian? I just one something really user friendly and convenient since I won't be using the service very often, and I'll probably only plug in the webcam when using it and plug it out after I finish using it (is it OK though?)

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 16
trillian:
http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

it's a pretty cool program letting you connect to the various IM services from one app. I like it and use it.

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 16
I just need one of them, so which one do you think is better?

About Trillian, I still don't quite get it how it works... so basically if I have Trillian, I don't need Yahoo Messenger or MSN, because Trillian combine two of them together in its own program?

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 16
Skype!
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 16
Update:

Downloaded and installed Trillian 3.1

Tested it with Yahoo, but I haven't got MSN account yet.

So basically with Trillian on, I can log-on to both Yahoo and MSN at the same time and alternate between them (the idea is similar as in using Internet Explorer with 2 windows)?

If that's the case, then it's perfect, I don't have to choose between the two.

Just wondering, will a video chat be an issue here (compatibility)? I haven't bought a webcam yet, so I can only try basic instant messaging stuff.

EDIT: Hey, just read from somewhere, if I wanna use video chat in Trillian, I gotta pay 25 bucks ?? That means I don't think I wanna use Trillian then, since video chat using the standalone MSN or Yahoo is free...

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Skype!
biggrin.gif

I second Skype, evne though for files transfers is pretty slow (for file transfers use AOL IM or MSN...) I have tried and I have installed all of them, the Skype is the best so far, shame that it is not so popular....

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 16
if you're going to talk to family choose skype...i personally love yahoo (there shouldn't be any pop-ups or spam as you have mentioned tho, perhaps that's just your computer or something), msn isn't bad either, just don't choose aim! and then there's also gaim it's similar to trillian and allows you to sign on to multiple IM's

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 16
Yeah, I'll probably just use both Yahoo and MSN since Trillian requires me to purchase the Pro one if I wanna use video.
I don't think I'll be paying for something I can get for free.

Anyway, is it me or half of the people in Yahoo chat are like bots/spams??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back