y1 gamma-1 DAC
Mar 31, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #556 of 1,546
try deleting your usb device. and having windows re-add it at discovery time.

get the pc up and running with usb device showing up in control panel. go to system hardware view and delete the device icon for usb sound. no lower level drivers (!) just the hardware device itself. then reboot with no sound device connected, let it boot fully and then try connecting the 'sound card' again and let it discover it.

SOMETIMES that puts the sound system 'right' again.

also does it matter if you use different front/rear usb ports?

what if you remove ALL usb devices but the sound card?

are you behind usb hubs or direct?

is there a bios/mobo sound card that can also be disabled?

that's all I can think of for now
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #557 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by hansel_ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nope XP on an atom processor

That is a start...
How much ram?
What version of Foobar?
What output method are you using?

You have to give us some information to work with.
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #558 of 1,546
hello MisterX

ok it has 1gb of ram. Using the latest version of Foobar, v0.9.6.4.

What do you mean by output method? It's basically plug and play for me i.e. default foobar settings. Could I toy with it?

The hanging seems to have become less consistent since I've installed the latest ALAC codec, but it hanged again after several hours of playing FLAC files. Entire screen freezes, music stops, but light on DAC stays green.

linuxworks: I deleted the USB device and reinstalled it again. hopefully it will help! Very hard to tell because I have to let it run overnight to see if there is any freeze.

thanks everyone.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #559 of 1,546
direct sound or ASIO?
And yeah, I am thinking you might be able to solve it by simply "toying with it".
wink.gif

(I would suggest downloading ASIO4all and using ASIO as the output method, I would also suggest resampling to 48K with the DSP)

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #560 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pddjsteve, most likely the static discharge damaged U1U (PCM2707) and/or U2U (SN74AHC1G08).

Thanks, I hadn't thought about U2U being the culprit, I was thinking it was on the output of the chip but I just looked at the schematic again. Good thing I haven't had time to desolder anything yet. Hopefully swapping that out will resolve the problem and I won't have to mess with the PCM. I'll have to check if I have a spare u2u.

Luckily since they haven't been running the heat all the time anymore the office has much less of a static problem... I still don't know how I managed to zap it so badly.

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #561 of 1,546
Hi folks,

I've just assembled the USB board for the gamma1 and I'm running through the initial check.

No USB plugged in:

+5V to GND: 25 Mohm (steady)
+3.3 V to GND: 25 Mohm (steady)
+5V to +3.3V: ~75-90 Kohm (not steady)

With USB plugged in: (and jumper across J2U pins 1&2)

+5V to GND: 1.05V
+3.3 V to GND: 1.05V

I thought I had somehow shorted +5V to +3.3V but isn't the resistance between them too high to be a short (75-90 Kohm)? And my soldering looks fine, though I don't have a loupe to get in realllly close for the SMT chips.

UPDATE:

Here's some measurements off the pins of the mini USB connector

Pin 1 to 5: 5.10V
Pin 1 to GND: 1.05V
Pin 5 to GND: -4.03V

Considering that Pin 5 is GND, why am I getting a voltage drop?

Any ideas where I may have gone wrong?

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #562 of 1,546
Im about to start my build and had a few cleaning questions. At work i normally sonic clean all my rma stuff in alcohol. Is it ok to sonic clean this board, as long as i do it before mounting the crystal?

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #563 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im about to start my build and had a few cleaning questions. At work i normally sonic clean all my rma stuff in alcohol. Is it ok to sonic clean this board, as long as i do it before mounting the crystal?

Yes, but I would suggest not trying to ultrasonically clean the TORX, TOTX modules and transformers as well.
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #564 of 1,546
Ob3ron, try reflowing the solder joint of your USB connector and the ferrite beads. The 5V line from the USB connector is VBUS at J2U, so there is no reason why the voltages would be different at those two points.

Apr 2, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #566 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ob3ron, try reflowing the solder joint of your USB connector and the ferrite beads. The 5V line from the USB connector is VBUS at J2U, so there is no reason why the voltages would be different at those two points.

Thanks Ti! I just used a little copper braid on underside of the USB connector and it works
smile_phones.gif
. At least with what I've been able to test without a wallwart.

First impressions are damned good. My M3 has never sounded so clean. Much better than any of the DACs built into anything that I own. Can't wait to try out the rest of the config!

Apr 2, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #567 of 1,546
Hi,

I've assembled a gamma1 lite, but can't get any sound out of it.

In the initial tests, all is good until we get to the part about make music. Win XP sees the USB audio device, the software pushes the stream, but no sound.

Any clues where to check?

I've reflowed all the ic's and many of the thru hole devices, checked continuity from device legs to pads. I've double checked placement of the ic's.

I get the same results with both a desktop and laptop.

Apr 2, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #568 of 1,546
Rayko, do you have all the jumpers set correctly? For a Lite configuration, a jumper should be installed across JP1U pins 2 and 3 ("I2S"). JP2U-[1-3] should all be jumpered, and JP1D should also be jumpered.

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #569 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any clues where to check?

Have you got some sort of status LED in there? For the full builds, the switch glows green when you have a SPDIF stream......

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #570 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you got some sort of status LED in there? For the full builds, the switch glows green when you have a SPDIF stream......

There is no switch or status indicator in a Lite configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back