y1 gamma-1 DAC
Mar 30, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #542 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did your y1 ever work via USB before? If this is a new build then most likely there is either a solder joint problem or U2U is the wrong part. It would take quite an electrostatic shock to damage the chips, but you should nevertheless take standard ESD precautions when handling them.

Alright I got that fixed... Now onto a new prob. When I sandwich the boards (the pc recognizes the dac) and test the dac for voltage, I get a good reading from the 3.3v but get a reading of around 3.2 from the 4.5v pad... Bad solder, or wrong component?

This is mainly an update post since I won't simply be waiting for your post, and will try to figure this out on my own :p

edit: well this is weird... I think its working, the light turns green (on my laptop), but when I encase it and hook it up to my system (main pc), it wont work and it does that "usb not recognized" thing. I then go and reflow solder and magically it works again (on the laptop) so i enclose it again, test it again on my laptop go to my main pc hook it up, it sees it I try to play through it but only get high pitched hissing and a red light. Go to my laptop again and it says "usb not recognized"
frown.gif
What, is this a cold solder joint?

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #545 of 1,546
VncentValntine, what you describe sounds like there are more marginal solder joints. The 3.2V measurement at the 4.5V test point suggests you have the wrong voltage regulator installed as U6D. Also, make sure your JP1U, JP2U and JP2D are set properly for your configuration (Full or Lite).

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #546 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VncentValntine, what you describe sounds like there are more marginal solder joints. The 3.2V measurement at the 4.5V test point suggests you have the wrong voltage regulator installed as U6D. Also, make sure your JP1U, JP2U and JP2D are set properly for your configuration (Full or Lite).

sorry, i should have also mentioned that when the dac was functioning, I measured 4.7 volts from the 4.5 test point, which led me to believe the components are correct, so i believe its my shoddy soldering. I 'll turn up the heat a little and make sure those ground points are mated securely.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #547 of 1,546
My Little Dot MK1+ just showed up today. I'm going to spend the next few days charging and recharging as per Penchums review of the MK1. I don't know if this is necessary with the MK1+, but it showed up with the instruction manual in Chinese. Question though, How well would the Gamma 1 (full version) work with this amp? I have a Pioneer DVD / SACD / CD player with optical out and a UH 25 sound card, also with optical out. I have some decent phones, K-701s and UE 5's.

Regards
Dave

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #548 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by NOTFRAGILE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question though, How well would the Gamma 1 (full version) work with this amp?

The y1 certainly won't be weak link in the chain......

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #549 of 1,546
Quote:

snip...
How well would the Gamma 1 (full version) work with this amp?

...snip

I have been using mine with both the M³ and the Bijou amps. It sounds very good with either of these. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't sound very good with your amp.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #550 of 1,546
Ok. So I have to admit to some not understanding. In the digital world we have a source. From this source we need to convert digital to analogue. I assume some digital sources are superior to others. Or perhaps the pathway also makes a big difference. If I listen to my laptop thru the resident card, it will frequently pop and there is a fair amount of background noise. If I listen to it thru my UH 25 sound card it sounds pretty darn good. Now what puzzles me in regards to the question I asked above, if I take the digital out of my SACD player for example, and plug it into the Gamma 1, and then take the analogue out of the gamma 1 and put it thru my MK1+, isn't the audio going to be only as good as the DAC of the MK1+?

Regards
Dave

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #551 of 1,546
Quote:

Ok. So I have to admit to some not understanding.....

In digital music, there are three things that are important before music gets to your headphones: Transport, DAC, Amp.

The transport supplies the digital data. It might be the CD drive of your SACD player reading the CD, or your media player (and possibly sound card, but lets ignore this) reading an MP3 on your computer. You can't hear digital data, so......

...... the digital data goes to your DAC. There are lots of ways for the digital data to get there, but lets ignore this. DAC stands for digital to analogue converter, and does exactly what it says it does. The analogue output from normally has very low current capability, so you need.....

..... the amp. Amps take a low level analogue signal and give that signal enough voltage and current so that it can drive your headphones.

When most people talk about a 'source', they are referring to the transport and DAC as one unit.

Quote:

Now what puzzles me in regards to the question I asked above, if I take the digital out of my SACD player for example, and plug it into the Gamma 1, and then take the analogue out of the gamma 1 and put it thru my MK1+, isn't the audio going to be only as good as the DAC of the MK1+?

Your MK1+ does not have a DAC. It is only an amp.

CD -> SACD player transport -> digital signal -> gamma 1 DAC -> low level analogue signal -> LDMK1+ amp -> high level analogue signal -> headphones

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #552 of 1,546
Things are becoming clearer. I notice you have a pair of UE superfi 5 Pros. I have these and on a whole I prefer them sound-wise to my K-701's. I'd like to ask you about your I-pod though. I have an I-pod touch 2g 16gig that I have 255 songs on recorded in full wav. I'll be using an LOG but at the moment, as mentioned above, I haven't had my first listen (45 minutes to first full charge). What is your opinion on that set-up?

Regards
Dave

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #553 of 1,546
Quote:

I have an I-pod touch 2g 16gig that I have 255 songs on recorded in full wav. I'll be using an LOG but at the moment, as mentioned above, I haven't had my first listen (45 minutes to first full charge). What is your opinion on that set-up?

I think you mean LOD, as in Line Out Dock
wink.gif

To be honest, I don't use the 5Pro very much at all. They provide too much isolation for when I am at work, and aren't really comfortable enough for everyday use at home. So I really only use them on plane flights.

That being said, the 5Pro straight out of the iPod Classic are pretty damn good, as are my ESW9. I did have a LOD and 2Move, and it was possibly a tiny bit better, but I never used them as a portable...... it was just such pain to carry the whole thing around.

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #554 of 1,546
Yes LOD my mistake.... thx for the conversation. I use my UE's quite regularly now. Took some getting used to. When one listens to speakers, I have had a set of horn loaded EV 15's .... it's hard to beat the immediacy of that. But if you are listening for accuracy and detail, it's hard to beat the UE's. Of course I only have heard thes and not UE's better models.

Regards
dave

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #555 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by hansel_ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello,

while the headwize forum is still down. I have a weird issue with foobar and the y1 DAC. Here's a copy of a post i made in the foobar support forum. Has anyone encountered a similar issue? thanks

----------------

Hello everyone,

I have a problem. I recently built a USB DAC (The γ1 Modular Miniature DAC), and it functions as an external soundcard.

The problem is that after about 3-5 hours continuous playback on foobar, the computer will hang with the black screen.

I thought that it was a hardware issue, but (1) I built 2 of these and both have the same problem; and (2) This does not occur with any other program (can play continuously with e.g. VLC media player).

However, it seems odd that foobar and the USB DAC would cause some conflict only after a set time, often in the middle of a track.

Could someone please advise? I'm loathe to use any other music player.

Many thanks in advance.

Anyone? Basically the PC just hangs after a certain period of continuous playback. Am completely frazzled any help would be much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back