Y connecter
Jul 5, 2004 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Eli Morgan

Head-Fier
I am going to get a Y connecter so I can use my Headphones with my speakers. Grado sells one for $20, and gurantees that it will not degrade the sound quality. Bestbuy sells them for $5, and I just ordered one of those. Do you think I will notice a difference in sound quality between the two?

Jul 6, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 14
bump
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 14
I've tried some Y adapters from parts express and I did notice lower quality playback, although i have a feeling no matter what brand you use you will have the same result. No way to get around it, no matter how you split a signal you will lose quality.

Jul 7, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 14
I'm guessing the next best upgrade is a high quality switcher with short signal paths, which a member here (I don't recall the site) offers for around $100. If a slight improvement for $95 seems reasonable then I'd go that route, otherwise keep em
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 14
BTW you are using something that looks like this right?

263-588m.jpg

If you using something like this then I would get rid of it immediately because there is a high likelyhood that the conductor inside is quite bad, not to mention there are two adapters in teh signal path rather than one.

240-127m.jpg

Jul 8, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
I'm guessing the next best upgrade is a high quality switcher with short signal paths, which a member here (I don't recall the site) offers for around $100. If a slight improvement for $95 seems reasonable then I'd go that route, otherwise keep em
smily_headphones1.gif

The member is Fiddler. The box is called the Quintete. It works very well. Sorry for no link but search is up!
CPW

Jul 8, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eli Morgan
I am going to get a Y connecter so I can use my Headphones with my speakers. Grado sells one for $20, and gurantees that it will not degrade the sound quality. Bestbuy sells them for $5, and I just ordered one of those. Do you think I will notice a difference in sound quality between the two?

I dont think so. Try out the $5 Y-connector first, you will most likely not hear any difference.

edit: I once had a high-quality switchbox made with cardas plugs and NKK switched which cost me nearly $200, couldn't tell the difference between it and my $20 magwire y-connectors.

Jul 8, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 14
tortie, agreed.

i once made a very nice adaptor out of canare starquad wire and neutrik connectors with silver solder.

unfortunately, i couldnt distinguish it in subsequent blind testing from a $2 ratshack style 'gold plated' connector.
eek.gif
frown.gif

ymmv though, but not by much i suspect.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back