xxhighend- too good to be true?
Mar 22, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #16 of 33
for what could be a better alternative to foobar, i highly recommend www.cicsmemoryplayer.com 
the gui is almost non existent but sound quality wise, i think it's a notch above foobar. i can definitely vouch that it's more transparent sounding. and the reincarnated src resampler makes it sound vinyl-like.  

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #17 of 33
Hi newcomer and signed up to put my thoughts on this software and his claims about jitter.

Although let me say its not all bad because its does output very high KHz and Peter's goes all the way upto 768KHz, which is great for NOS DAC's.

The real problem lies in cost (79 Euro) and so called jitter reduction so he can screw anyone who wants to get decent audio from there PC.
1) It should be free.
2) should be made clear that its only for NOS DAC's.
3) Stop the BS about jitter.

You see from what i can tell he suggests that electrical fluctuations from the PSU and CPU effect the timing of audio and this is jitter and thats when the BS starts becuase no amount of software jiggery pokery will help iron out those fluctuations, furthermore soundcards do and exellent job noise rejection anyway.

Computers are eletrically noisy and that will effect sound quality. The best thing to do is lower it yourself as much as you can and help your soundcard do its job.

1) Lower the volatges as much as you can.
2) Use SSD instead of HDD.
3) Move your PSU outside of the case if you can.
4) Use as fewer fans as possible.

Anyway my thoughts. TBH computer audio can be very resonable and IMO this software won't help.

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #18 of 33
I have had the phasure NOS1 dac at home. Took alot of pictures. Did not have the chance to test it soundwise though but will in a couple of weeks.
Not much iron for 3000 euro I can say.

I will test the first version xx with the latest. It must be 100 iterations and every time the croud says. "this is by far the best version", peter you have really done it this time. bla bla. Well lets see...
And then the developer claims alot mumbo jumbo about cpus, jitter rejection, slider bars, xxengine#1,2,3 , vista is superior to all, "we all went into the win7 pitfall", suddenly... win7 with sp1 is better. Well it is not. It is excactly the same.

BTW: The support part of the forum is by far the most used.. I can understand why.
But the player itself does sound good. Not better than other players. Just as good.

I really think the majority of people using this player tweak it, tweak the pc, hold their breath when playing because you never know when it crashes and finally when you are able to really listen to your favourite music it is almost everytime "HIFI" music and you are so proud with youself that in your own mind this is the best sound reproduction you have ever heard.

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #19 of 33
I don't have the NOS1 DAC but rather just a DIY USB 16 bit NOS DAC.  I have tried every player I can find. XXHighEnd sounds the best by far. I have been using it everyday for 3+ years and yes it keeps getting better. Sure it is ugly (sorry Peter), the UI sucks, the demo version needs to be restarted every 1/2 hour or less, getting it set up for the best sound quality is not obvious.

Every now and then I take the time to try all the new and old players thinking someone has matched XXHighEnd's sound quality by now, but no.

If you are fussy and using your computer as your music source you owe it to yourself to give it a try. Perhaps with your gear you will not hear a difference. But from my experience if you are using a USB DAC, the generic Windows USB driver and your DAC is not half bad then you will hear the difference. I can't comment on internal sound cards or motherboard audio because I don't use them anymore. If you try it please report back what gear you have and if you can hear a difference.

I will give you a few tips to get you over the hump.... You need Windows7. The demo version sounds as good as the paid/registered version, it is same download/program. I have to confess I have never used the registered version but I know the player well enough to be able to say the sound is the same (in all but the most extreme situations, NOS1 DAC). You do need the latest version. http://www.phasure.com/index.php?board=1.0 The demo/unregistered version can be setup to restart by pressing Alt-X on your keyboard when it times out after 20 minutes or so. The demo timeout seems somewhat random, sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 1/2 an hour. When it timesout playing a song in the playlist it restarts that song from the beginning but doesn't lose its place in the playlist. Obviously that doesn't bother me enough to buy the player or stop using it. I just do ALT-X and it keeps going. It takes a bit of work to set that up but the player supports/instructions support that feature.

XXHighEnd has 4 different "sound engines" or methods for sending the music to your DAC. Engine #4 sounds the best. The other engines are still there for backwards compatibility with older version of windows and comparison.  Engine #3 appeared when VISTA was the current version of Windows and only recently has engine #4 appeared and been perfected.  Oh Yeah!

Engine #3 had a tendency run into problems at times and produce a tick tick tick sound in the music because the timing of filling the buffer could get out of sync. Engine #4 doesn't have this problem and it sounds even better, double win! Even with Engine #3 problems I stuck with it for years because nothing could match its sound quality.

I expected XXHighEnd to sound the same using any Windows 7 computer that could run it, but that isn't the case. I found powerful computers sound better than less powerful computers. A dual or quad core 2 GHz machine will sound better than a dual core 1 GHz netbook or tablet. I didn't expect that but after 8+ hours over two days and testing 3 computers and reading comments at the XXHighEnd.com website that is usually the case. If you have a 2 Ghz or faster computer try engine4 KS-Mode=Standard  buffer=2  q1=0 ThredPrio=Realtime, if you are using a less powerful machine try engine4 KS-Mode=Normal  buffer=32  q1=16 ThredPrio=Realtime. This isn't Foobar, you have to invest some time tweaking the settings and use your ears.

If you don't hear any difference between Engine3 and Engine4 or other players then be happy and enjoy the music. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so hard to please 
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:
I have had the phasure NOS1 dac at home. Took alot of pictures. Did not have the chance to test it soundwise though but will in a couple of weeks.
I will test the first version xx with the latest. It must be 100 iterations and every time the croud says. "this is by far the best version", peter you have really done it this time. bla bla. Well lets see...
And then the developer claims alot mumbo jumbo about cpus, jitter rejection, slider bars, xxengine#1,2,3 , vista is superior to all, "we all went into the win7 pitfall", suddenly... win7 with sp1 is better. Well it is not. It is excactly the same.
BTW: The support part of the forum is by far the most used.. I can understand why.
But the player itself does sound good. Not better than other players. Just as good.
I really think the majority of people using this player tweak it, tweak the pc, hold their breath when playing because you never know when it crashes and finally when you are able to really listen to your favourite music it is almost everytime "HIFI" music and you are so proud with youself that in your own mind this is the best sound reproduction you have ever heard.

So do you have any impressions of the Phasure NOS 1 dac for us?

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

So do you have any impressions of the Phasure NOS 1 dac for us?

popcorn.gif

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #23 of 33
@ ChipnDalebowl

By chance, have you heard the Phasure NOS-1 DAC, too? What are your thoughts?

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:
Quote:
@ ChipnDalebowl

By chance, have you heard the Phasure NOS-1 DAC, too? What are your thoughts?

Nope...don't plan to because I can't hear a difference between all this stuff. You're talking to one that thinks AAC @ 140kbps is as good as cds.
wink.gif

eek.gif
 I'm almost certain they've some fine audiologists Upstate...appreciate your honesty here, though.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:
I'm sure there are....you wouldn't get me to pay one of them though unless I was going totally deaf.
wink.gif
Sorry I couldn't help, but I think a lot of the "magical" programs out there for a fee are bogus.

you are certainly allowed to think whatever you would like, but don't criticize something just because they charge for it.  Lots of these player programs are bit perfect.  Bit perfect does not indicate that they will all sound the same.  You may wish to do some research on how some of them work and maybe even listen to some of them to hear how they may sound different on your system.

Lots of good info over at Computer Audiophile.  Everything in a computer playback chain matters, not just that a file is decoded bit perfectly.  Try to keep an open mind and be willing to experiment.  No one is forcing you to buy anything, but there are lots of good software out there with a trial period.  BTW-  I am a Mac user so I have not heard anything other than Foobar on my Windows machine, but I have heard the differences between lots of the programs that have a fee associated with them.  They all sound different on a system tweaked for audio.  cheers

EDIT-  oops! So sorry -  forget all that, I did not see the post where you did mention that you cannot hear diff between aac and cd quality files.

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #28 of 33
EDIT- oops! So sorry - forget all that, I did not see the post where you did mention that you cannot hear diff between aac and cd quality files.

Yup....same goes for probably 80% of the population that has access to things like mp3 players, speakers, headphones.....lossy audio is quite good.

Guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. :) I simply think paying for a program is crazy when a large number of the music listening population won't have systems capable of showing whatever difference is out there....if there is any. Placebo is powerful....I used to fall for it too....then I realized what I could hear and couldn't, so hence why I've found my nice point at 140kbps AAC files with apple's encoder. I guess I don't care enough about the equipment and just want the best way to enjoy the music I'd rather throw my money at.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #29 of 33
Jitter due to the CPU?  That thing's running at several gigahertz.  The more often a clock "ticks" the more accurate it naturally becomes, and the CPU "ticks" a lot.

And wow, wav files sound better than flac?  You know you can convert a wav file into a .ape into .flac into an apple looses file and back to wave, and it matches up bit for bit with the original.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back