Xperia Z2 -- any thoughts?
May 26, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #16 of 25
... The special noise canceling IEM for Z2, the MDR-NC31EM, isn't included with the local package,  but I already ordered a pair online. Will update when it arrived.

Got the MDR-NC31EM. Pretty good for a (somewhat) stock headset. Definitely not going to crash any of the good IEM, but overall the SQ is pretty acceptable. I am kind of surprised to see that it doesn't have separated mic+remote, but still can be used as headset (maybe it is using the NC mic for voice as well?). Anyway, the NC function is quite good too. It isn't nearly as intrusive as I thought it would be. Most of the time I really can't say I notice any ill effect from the NC at all.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #17 of 25
I just got the Z2 and it has a great screen and camera.But I'm very unimpressed with the sound quality.Bass sounds muddy,treble is lacking and worst of all headphone output level is one of the worst compared to other current phones with benchmark tests.I'm returning it for the iPhone 5s.And it was What HifI and their BS review that convinced me to get the Z2 based on their praising of the sound quality. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #18 of 25

Got the MDR-NC31EM. Pretty good for a (somewhat) stock headset. Definitely not going to crash any of the good IEM, but overall the SQ is pretty acceptable. I am kind of surprised to see that it doesn't have separated mic+remote, but still can be used as headset (maybe it is using the NC mic for voice as well?). Anyway, the NC function is quite good too. It isn't nearly as intrusive as I thought it would be. Most of the time I really can't say I notice any ill effect from the NC at all.

How does it compare with the MH1 (that's what I currently use)?

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #19 of 25
  How does it compare with the MH1 (that's what I currently use)?

It is just good, not great. If you want better SQ, keep the MH1.

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #20 of 25
Updating my Z2 to the latest 4.4.4 and this is in the change log:

Music sounds better both a) turned up and b) in Hi-Res. It just does. Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z2 Tablet will now support built in (via 3.5mm audio jack) Hi-Res Audio playback from both PCM and DSD files, in addition to the USB Hi-Res playback. The WALKMAN app also adds Sony's DSEE HX technology, enhancing the sound of your MP3, AAC or Music Unlimited tunes, restoring the experience sometimes lost in compression by these formats. And, because different headphones sound slightly different acoustically, Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z2 Tablet now give you the option to specifically select optimized settings for different Sony headsets.

As I have suspected all along that the hardware between Z2 and Z3 are very similar and all it takes it is firmware update to bring over the new features.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #21 of 25
  Updating my Z2 to the latest 4.4.4 and this is in the change log:

As I have suspected all along that the hardware between Z2 and Z3 are very similar and all it takes it is firmware update to bring over the new features.

Hi ClieOS
I am planning to buy z2 . I especially like it for its Hi-res audio features . I also have a xiaomi Piston 2 headfone, excellent and well liked here in Hi-fi. I wanted to know if the new update fixes the compatibility to xiaomi piston 2 or any previously unsupported headsets because of its connector standard. OMTp or CTIA something
blink.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #22 of 25
OMTP has officially ceased to exist since 2 years back. CTIA is the only standard smartphone makers are using now. Sony has not used OMTP standard since almost 3 years ago, certainly not on Z2.

Anyway, I have no problem using Piston 2 with Z2.

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #23 of 25
  OMTP has officially ceased to exist since 2 years back. CTIA is the only standard smartphone makers are using now. Sony has not used OMTP standard since almost 3 years ago, certainly not on Z2.

Anyway, I have no problem using Piston 2 with Z2.

Thanks! Is it the latest update or was it working since the begining? Hope you like your pistons!

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #25 of 25

Thanks! Is it the latest update or was it working since the begining? Hope you like your pistons!

I am using the latest firmware (4.4.4). Don't know how it works on older firmware as I didn't bother to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back