Xonar Essence STX / Little Dot MKIII / HD650's
Feb 7, 2010 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

johnzz4

500+ Head-Fier
I wanted to see if anyone has this combination - Xonar Essence STX / Little Dot MKIII / HD650's...

Right now I have an M-Audio Audiophile 192 card going to a Presonus HP4 to my HD650's, and I'm not too impressed. My iPod going to the JDS CMOY sounds better (much larger soundstage and more detailed). I originally thought it was the CMOY outperforming the Presonus HP4, but when I connected the CMOY to the Audiophile 192 card, it sounded identical to the Presonus HP4, making the Audiophile 192 card the culprit.

I was thinking of getting the Xonar Essence STX, and I've been looking into the Little Dot MKIII for a while.

Any thoughts on this combination?

~Johnzz4

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the STX, Little Dot MK III and HD600. I cant talk now but ill b back here tuesday!

Looking forward to hearing more!

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 36
I used to own the LD Mk III in addition to the STX and HD650. I found the STX pretty powerful in driving the HD. I sold the LD.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 36
I would say... If you can't discern any difference between a 60's Russian 6n6p and a 80's 6n6p-i...id say at best you know half the story.
smily_headphones1.gif

*You don't own "MY" little dot mkIII!
wink.gif

*I don't mean to scare anybody off here...I just feel it had to be said!

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 36
oops!! I almost forgot!

Yes, the little dot MKIII should satisfy and more, it just needs a committed owner. Buying the amp is just a start...This is a Tube amp, remember that, it needs a little more time and investment to really shine that's all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you find the sound of the STX in comparison to the LD?

Yeah, Robscix, I'm far more interested in the SQ than the ability to drive it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtan002 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own the LD Mk III in addition to the STX and HD650. I found the STX pretty powerful in driving the HD. I sold the LD.

Are there any more impressions you could give on how the STX compared to the LD, mtan002?

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by zimmzio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oops!! I almost forgot!

Yes, the little dot MKIII should satisfy and more, it just needs a committed owner. Buying the amp is just a start...This is a Tube amp, remember that, it needs a little more time and investment to really shine that's all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you using the LD in this configuration or something similar? Also, it sounds like you've been around the block playing with the tubes on the LD. What have you settled on, and how would you describe the audio quality?

I read pages after pages of LD tube rolling
confused_face_2.gif
, but it would be great to get your opinion...

~John

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnzz4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Robscix, I'm far more interested in the SQ than the ability to drive it...

Are there any more impressions you could give on how the STX compared to the LD, mtan002?

I made a mistake here. I owned the MK V which has no tubes.
I couldn't discern any differences with the additional MK V.

Cheers.

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #11 of 36
Thanks, mtan002....

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 36
Yeah np johnzz4... Take a look at my last few post in this thread. Link

*I don't know what you like but heres a short list of tubes you may want to buy - Mullard M8161, M8100 are a must! - then you have the 6Ak5 by Tungsol - Telefunken - Amperex - RCA Gold Brand - are all very good tubes. You have to explore a little, i cannot tell you what to like.
wink.gif

*Also i must add that New Old(est) Stock usually sound different then newer equivalents. exemple my 69 M8161 sound different then my 80's...i tend to prefer the 69's!

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 36
Sorry i get distracted sometimes...I didn't really answer your question, well sort of...

I Think you should go slow, just start with the STX/ST and a good set of headphones first. I would use the HP amp from the Essence for a while and experiment with opamps before spending more on a dedicated HP amp.

Does a dedicated HP amp make a difference you ask? Yes! It most definitely can.

Feb 16, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #14 of 36
I've been using the Asus Xonar Essence STX with my HD650's for a while, and picked up the Little Dot MKIII last night.

Not really able to give any impressions yet, as I've been struggling a bit so far.
Using the line out's on my Xonar to power the Little Dot isn't working too well, I'm having to use close 100 volume on the Little Dot to get sufficient listening volume.
Switched to using the HP out on the Xonar to feed the Little Dot now, that seems to work alot better, sufficient volume already at 50 volume now.

Also there is a TON of background noise originating from my Little Dot - I'll try using higher grade cables, as I'm using el cheapo unshielded ones now.

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #15 of 36
Edit: when use use the line out out of stx hp make sure to set the gain at normal!!!

Connect the HD650 directly to STX headphone out.

Set the impedance to 300-600ohms in stx software.

click on hi fi option to disable environment size.

listen to the HD650 for a while and then compare the sound with your amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back