xonar essence stx issues
Oct 18, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #31 of 35

good thing you figured it out. i keep buffer lenght at 1000ms. i customized foobar a little, but it's nothing fancy, using just default user interface. there are skins for foobar, but setting them up can be a pain in the ass sometimes as they're usually based on different user interface (plugin components needed etc...). google 'foobar skins', i'm sure there are many more sites with foobar skins.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450700/foobar-2000-screenshot-thread
http://foo-nation.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote:
It works perfectly.
smily_headphones1.gif
No pops whatsoever. I am using official drivers now and using ASIO and it works perfect. What is your buffer length value? ALso, have you customized foobar? I would like some help customizing it and I've been searching around google all night and was not able to customize it in any way successfuly
frown.gif

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #32 of 35
I had issues with popping whenever running bit perfect and lower latencies.  I managed to find out by using DPC latency (and I kept gettings these huge spikes).  I turns out it was from a program running the background EasyTune6, which I use to control fans on my motherboard.  After that no issues what so ever.

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #33 of 35

Quote:

1. this first one may be due to the program you are using. I don't get that with windows media player but do with J River media center.

2. That click & pop is perfectly normal from these cards

3. High volume on low impedance phones with gain setting at its highest can damage the phones. Volume may even be sufficient to damage high impedance phones if left at high vomlume levels too long & may even damage your hearing if played at those volumes for any length of time. Many people here assume that the actual gain of the amp is being altered by the way. This is simply not true, the gain of the amp is fixed in hardware to +12db relative to the line out. The only thing that the gain selector does is limits the max volume by dropping the highest 1-3 bits digitally. Note that the 0db gain in the gain adjustment is actually 6db softer than the gain of the line out The only matching gain available from the headphone amp is through the front panel line out which incidently actually uses the headphone amp. I can tell by measuring the D.C. offset as well as there being no solinoid swiching sounds when switching through the various front panel gain settings or swiching from front panel headphone to front panel line out.

4. it is safe as long as you use reasonable volume levels that are safe for your hearing. Your settings seem good. I would not however use the bit perfect ASIO drivers if using the internal headphone amp to power your phones as any program that uses these drivers  I.E. Foobar, J. River Media Center & such you will not have any volume control available & if headphone amp is set to the highest gain, I can just see it now, poof goes you headphones.

5. If just using Windows Media Player they are of no use. If using Foobar or J. River Media Center they do work. Wasapi prevents other programs from interfereing with the listener experience & some feel it offers better sound. It also retains the ability to control the volume. Bit perfect ASIO drivers ensure no alteration of the bits being sent to the soundcards DACs but disables any on board or software volume controls so you will need an external analog volume control to use this driver feature. Do not use the bit perfect ASIO drivers if using the on board headphone amp to power your phones directly as you will have no volume control.

Thanks for your response.
biggrin.gif
I'm happy with asio. I understand there is no volume control but I have customized foobar to allow a reasonable volume bar. I'm careful to not let it play on FULL blast although it happened once by accident lol. 

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #34 of 35
This is actually a new post but it seems I'm not allowed to start one until I've been regsitered for 30 days. I've just installed my Xonar Essence STX and I can't get any sound out via my speakers or headphone although I can see the sound working in the software. The manual is no help. Any suggestions?

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #35 of 35

Quote:
This is actually a new post but it seems I'm not allowed to start one until I've been regsitered for 30 days. I've just installed my Xonar Essence STX and I can't get any sound out via my speakers or headphone although I can see the sound working in the software. The manual is no help. Any suggestions?

You are the lucky winner of my 1000th post.

Go to the windows sound properties and make sure that the Essense STX speakers is selected in the playback devices. Alternatively I assume that you were using onboard sound before & you left it turned on in the bios. If you know how to get into the bios you can turn off the on board sound & that will prevent this from happening in the future by accident.

While your in the windows sound properties you can disable any input ior output that you know that you won't be using. You can alway reenable them later if you decide you need them. This can also prevent accidental or software altering the settings to non usefull outputs as they won't be available at all.

I'm assuming of coarse that you are using Windows Vista or Seven in this post as you didn't mention what operating system you are using. Windows XP is somwhat different& its been a long time since I have used Windows XP so if somone is still using Windows XP you may want to give instructions on how to fix in Windows XP. I do recommend disabling on board sound though in the bios if you are comfortable with working with the bios though & uninstaling the onboard drivers as well. Windows Seven & Vista are better setup for running multiple soundcards than Windows XP, not that multiple cards can't be setup in Windows XP, it's just easier to manage in the later operating systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back