xonar essence stx issues
Oct 12, 2010 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

serious7

500+ Head-Fier
Hey

I'm just going to list my issues in a list to help speed responses and to stay on topic. 

1. When I press pause and then play I hear a loud pop and it is very discomforting to my ears.
2. When I change  analog out from something like headphone to speaker or vice versa I hear a click from the sound card itself. It freaked me out the first time it happened and it happens every time. Is that normal?
3. I use Hd 650 straight from the asus xonar essence stx headphone output. Should I use High Gain or Extra High Gain? I have seen two threads related to this information. On the xonar essence stx tweaks page it says to put extra high gain for HD 650. On another thread, people said to put it on just High Gain. I am afraid of damaging my headphones because the control panel says it will cause over driving. What is over driving? Will it damage my headphones? What is the most ideal safe setting for me? Please enlighten me.
smily_headphones1.gif
I tried to search over driving on Google and the only hits I get is "is it save to drive wearing headphones" it seems to neglect the word "over"......
4. This is my very first setup and I am VERY pleased with it. I have left HF on and disabled everything else and have been only using High Gain ( would use Extra High gain if someone can confirm it is safe for my headphones). What other options should I do change in the audio center to improve quality and performance? What other pieces of software should I use in conjuction with xonar audio center? I currently am using only windows media player. Have not tried Foobar yet. 

5. I see people complaining about Wasabi and Asio or something. What are they and are they useful for me?

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 35
2. This is coming from switching relays (rectangular yellowish boxes on the board), common to xonar cards. Nothing to worry about.

5. read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_audio_architecture#Audio and install foobar

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 35

Quote:
2. This is coming from switching relays (rectangular yellowish boxes on the board), common to xonar cards. Nothing to worry about.

5. read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_audio_architecture#Audio and install foobar

I installed foobar with Wasabi. What settings should I use for the output section?

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 35
if you would like to use WASAPI then select "Wasapi:Speakers (Asus Xonar STX...) in Preferences->Output

3. you can use Extra High Gain without damaging your headphones. just make sure you turn down the volume. compare the two gains yourself to see which one you prefer.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 35

Quote:
if you would like to use WASAPI then select "Wasapi:Speakers (Asus Xonar STX...) in Preferences->Output

3. you can use Extra High Gain without damaging your headphones. just make sure you turn down the volume. compare the two gains yourself to see which one you prefer.

I notice you have wasapi and foobar. Im just wondering...do you hear popping noises when you change to certain songs in foobar under wasapi? Also do you receive RANDOM pops while using the computer and listening to songs through foobar using Wasapi??

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 35
bump. how do I fix the pop sounds I get using foobar and wasapi? I have tried searching and have not foudn any fix for my situation. Windows 7 64 bit Operating System. I cannot try older 6.xxx drivers as there aren't any.

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 35
i'm using ASIO instead of WASAPI and i'm too getting the pops here and there (latest beta drivers). i used to be running WASAPI, if i remember correctly the pops were a rarity under WASAPI. we'll have to wait for decent drivers from Asus, which will happen god knows when. not this year i guess. or you could try an unofficial universal drivers, people were reporting good results with those.

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #9 of 35

Quote:
i'm using ASIO instead of WASAPI and i'm too getting the pops here and there (latest beta drivers). i used to be running WASAPI, if i remember correctly the pops were a rarity under WASAPI. we'll have to wait for decent drivers from Asus, which will happen god knows when. not this year i guess. or you could try an unofficial universal drivers, people were reporting good results with those.

Do you get pops when you use windows media player(no ASIO or WASAPI)? This is crazy. The pops actually really hurt. I get pops using WASAPI whenever I change songs. Why did you choose ASIO instead of WASAPI by any chance? Also, have you considered the unofficial universal drivers and why haven't you decided to use those?

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 35
i'm using ASIO because of the automatic sample rate feature, which is supported in the latest beta drivers. i just tried WASAPI and i'm not getting the pops when changing songs (same goes for ASIO). i used to have a similar problem, when i was using a headphone output of the card. it was some time ago, but i think updating motherboard's bios helped to solve the problem. also try to disable saving features of your CPU (Cool 'N' Quiet for AMD and SpeedStep for Intel) in bios to see if that helps.

as for unofficial drivers, i haven't looked at them yet. i'm not sure if you can get an automatic sample rate with them. also the pops are not that frequent to bother me and they are only mild ; nowhere near being hurtful. you should try an unofficial drivers, you can always uninstall if it doesn't work out.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #11 of 35

Quote:
i'm using ASIO because of the automatic sample rate feature, which is supported in the latest beta drivers. i just tried WASAPI and i'm not getting the pops when changing songs (same goes for ASIO). i used to have a similar problem, when i was using a headphone output of the card. it was some time ago, but i think updating motherboard's bios helped to solve the problem. also try to disable saving features of your CPU (Cool 'N' Quiet for AMD and SpeedStep for Intel) in bios to see if that helps.

as for unofficial drivers, i haven't looked at them yet. i'm not sure if you can get an automatic sample rate with them. also the pops are not that frequent to bother me and they are only mild ; nowhere near being hurtful. you should try an unofficial drivers, you can always uninstall if it doesn't work out.

That's wierd. the pops for me are actually painful. Do you get pops under wasapi when another window is trying to produce sound? Like for instance running youtube in the background? Or is it that with WASAPI you only get random rare pops?

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 35
yeah, while foobar's is playing song and with WASAPI output, i get the pops every time other applications produce a sound. with ASIO, foobar get stucked in loop. with Windows Media Player i can hear both sounds. i just turn off all sounds in Windows (7, 64-bit, same as you) and don't use any applications that  produce sounds when listening to foobar. but then there are websites that play sounds, so it's still a major annoyance. i think i'm going to try those other drivers too
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #13 of 35

Quote:
yeah, while foobar's is playing song and with WASAPI output, i get the pops every time other applications produce a sound. with ASIO, foobar get stucked in loop. with Windows Media Player i can hear both sounds. i just turn off all sounds in Windows (7, 64-bit, same as you) and don't use any applications that  produce sounds when listening to foobar. but then there are websites that play sounds, so it's still a major annoyance. i think i'm going to try those other drivers too
bigsmile_face.gif

Let me know how they work. I cant try them cause I'm at work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #14 of 35
i've just tried them (Uni Xonar1790: normal) and they work like a charm with ASIO output. no pops, no loops. automatic sample rate seems to be working as well. with WASAPI i stil get a slight pop when i hit a new video on Youtube. there are more versions of that driver included in the file (normal, low latency, C-media center), so give them a try to see which works best with wasapi.

ftp://meinside.myftp.org:21/

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
i've just tried them (Uni Xonar1790: normal) and they work like a charm with ASIO output. no pops, no loops. automatic sample rate seems to be working as well. with WASAPI i stil get a slight pop when i hit a new video on Youtube. there are more versions of that driver included in the file (normal, low latency, C-media center), so give them a try to see which works best with wasapi.

ftp://meinside.myftp.org:21/

man. so universal is the way to go? I'll just go with ASIO at the end. I am sick of wasapi as is. if the universal drivers work so well why do people still use the official drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back