Xonar DX vs Xonar DG vs Phoebus Help me decide....
Oct 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #47 of 53
The X-Fi cards win hands-down in any game that utilizes DirectSound3D or OpenAL. For software-mixed games, it's more of a toss-up and personal preference.

However, since you stated earlier that you needed surround output via analog, the Titanium HD won't do; like the Xonar Essence STX, it's strictly stereo for analog output. You'll have to go with the baseline X-Fi Titanium or try and find an Auzentech X-Fi Forte or X-Fi HomeTheater HD, both of which are discontinued.

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #48 of 53
Quote:
For the people who really know about this, is the Phoebus a good card? (Compared to the DX)

Is the Titanium HD is as good as the Phoebus?

The Phoebus is almost as good sounding as the Essence ST & STX
and the Phoebus can easily work with analog speaker 5.1 or 7.1.

Technically the Titanium HD is a better gaming card, but the Phoebus has better support for headphones.

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:
The X-Fi cards win hands-down in any game that utilizes DirectSound3D or OpenAL. For software-mixed games, it's more of a toss-up and personal preference.

However, since you stated earlier that you needed surround output via analog, the Titanium HD won't do; like the Xonar Essence STX, it's strictly stereo for analog output. You'll have to go with the baseline X-Fi Titanium or try and find an Auzentech X-Fi Forte or X-Fi HomeTheater HD, both of which are discontinued.

Does not the Xonar Cards emulates EAX which is the point of DirectSound?
From what i know since Vista Directsound in no longer used since then it is emulated, correct if i am worng.
Anyway checking some prices the Titanium HD is way over the price of the Phoebus. And the features of the phoebus it suits me better.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #50 of 53
Quote:
Does not the Xonar Cards emulates EAX which is the point of DirectSound?
From what i know since Vista Directsound in no longer used since then it is emulated, correct if i am worng.
Anyway checking some prices the Titanium HD is way over the price of the Phoebus. And the features of the phoebus it suits me better.

It's not so much EAX as it is CMSS-3D Headphone being able to utilize the 3D positional audio that DirectSound3D and OpenAL offer for a proper binaural mix, whereas Dolby Headphone still has to make do with virtual 7.1.

This means you get height cues, smoother panning (instead of sounds seeming to jump from speaker to speaker), a better sense of distance, and so forth with CMSS-3D Headphone in such games.

Remember that EAX is solely just to add reverb/chorus/occlusion processing to sound effects, while the DS3D and OAL APIs are meant to position the sounds within 3D space. Two totally different tasks, even if EAX is accessed through DS3D and OAL.

All of that said, if you don't have anyone willing to order an X-Fi card at sane US prices and export it to you, then it's a moot point given the exorbitant price premiums at hand here. I recommend X-Fi cards when their prices are in line with the competition, not way above them like they tend to be outside of North America.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

It's not so much EAX as it is CMSS-3D Headphone being able to utilize the 3D positional audio that DirectSound3D and OpenAL offer for a proper binaural mix, whereas Dolby Headphone still has to make do with virtual 7.1.

This means you get height cues, smoother panning (instead of sounds seeming to jump from speaker to speaker), a better sense of distance, and so forth with CMSS-3D Headphone in such games.

Remember that EAX is solely just to add reverb/chorus/occlusion processing to sound effects, while the DS3D and OAL APIs are meant to position the sounds within 3D space. Two totally different tasks, even if EAX is accessed through DS3D and OAL.

All of that said, if you don't have anyone willing to order an X-Fi card at sane US prices and export it to you, then it's a moot point given the exorbitant price premiums at hand here. I recommend X-Fi cards when their prices are in line with the competition, not way above them like they tend to be outside of North America.

Thanks for the advice. I will think about it.
After reading This review:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/09/asus_dgx_dsx_xonar_rog_phoebus_sound_cards/1

The Phoebus leaves me a bad taste. The DSX and DGX according this review are very close to the Phoebus. And remember that soundcard cost almost the triple that the DGX. That is not very encouraging.

The thing with the Titanium HD is the lack of 5.1 analog output this is a deal braker for me. And the raving critics over Creative make me nervious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back