Xonar DX vs Xonar DG vs Phoebus Help me decide....
Oct 9, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #31 of 53
Yeah i know. Is what we have here. It's a shame. All imported electronics are overpriced in this place. I had to pay around 400 for the HD598. And the STX is around 400.

So the DGX is the way to go.  Thanks.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #33 of 53
The Essence STX won't be a good fit for you if you need more than two-channel analog output, as it doesn't support the extension card for multi-channel output that the Essence ST does.

Unfortunately, the Essence ST is a PCI card, and you've already said that you'd rather go with PCI-Express.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #34 of 53
Also the Phoebus is a good option. A bit pricey but it has what i what i need and more. Anyone has any experience with this board?
Does this card and mines HD598 makes a good combo?

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:
Also the Phoebus is a good option. A bit pricey but it has what i what i need and more. Anyone has any experience with this board?
Does this card and mines HD598 makes a good combo?

The Sennheiser HD598 (50-Ohm) should work with just about any computer sound card.

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #37 of 53
Quote:
But obviously On the Phoebus it's gonna sound louder and better than in the DX + Fiio e11 or the DG only.

The latter two should be plenty loud enough driving the HD598, unless you want hearing damage. If you did use a high impedance onboard line output until now (~1.2 Vrms/200+ Ω/~10 uF), then the increase in maximum volume will be significant.

In terms of sound quality, the Phoebus is better than the Xonar DG, but not necessarily than the DX+E11 when driving lowish impedance headphones. The most quality improvement can be achieved by upgrading the HD598, but that would obviously cost even more, and - given your volume preferences - may require a more powerful amplifier than the E11.

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

The latter two should be plenty loud enough driving the HD598, unless you want hearing damage. In terms of sound quality, the Phoebus is better than the Xonar DG, but not necessarily than the DX+E11 when driving lowish impedance headphones. The most quality improvement can be achieved by upgrading the HD598, but that would obviously cost even more, and - given your volume preferences - may require a more powerful amplifier than the E11.

I see. i will think about it, Because the price DX + E11 is almost the same as the Phoebus (Yeah i know......) adding 7.1 analog connection and (almost) the same sound quality as the STX. Without adding additional equipment and the hassle of replacing batteries.
And it give some future proof regarding headphones. It's a very big jump from the ALC892, But i'm excited what a good sound card could add to my gaming sessions.

I'm not discarding the other options but dispite of the price the Phoebus is a better option.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #40 of 53
Quote:
Searching deeper i found that the alc892 has a full scale voltage output of 1.2 Vrms and the DX 2.0 Vrms. Do this means that the DX sounds louder than the ALC892?

Yes, but it also depends on the output impedance. In the case of the Xonar DX, that is known to be 100 Ω, so assuming your headphones have an impedance of 60 Ω, the actual voltage will be 2.0 * 60 / (60 + 100) = 0.75 Vrms. If you use one of the surround channel jacks and stereo upmixing, it increases to close to 2 Vrms, but the quality will be worse.
The output impedance of your onboard audio is unknown, but since you found it underpowered even compared to a cell phone, it could very well be a line output of the ALC892 with 200 + 75 Ω impedance, leaving only 0.21 Vrms output voltage. A 2 + 75 Ω headphone output from the ALC892 would allow for 0.53 Vrms.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #41 of 53
I found this:

It seems to be that the output impedance is 200. How do you make the calculations?
It also  describes an ampliified output but there is no reason to believe that the mobo has an head amp.
It seems that the DX at least sounds equally (Volume speaking) as the ALC892 and adding the enhacements of the DX it is a good purchase. Anything to add?

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #42 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cba1986 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It seems to be that the output impedance is 200. How do you make the calculations?

I added 75 Ω to the impedance, because there are 75 Ω serial resistors on the application circuits, and my motherboard (using ALC887) seems to have them, too. Some other Realtek datasheets suggest 33 Ω resistors, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cba1986 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It also  describes an ampliified output but there is no reason to believe that the mobo has an head amp.

The amplifier is built into the ALC892, but you are not necessarily using it. It is possible that only the front panel headphone jack is amplified, while the front channel (green) output at the rear is a line out; at least, that is the case on my motherboard.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

I added 75 Ω to the impedance, because there are 75 Ω serial resistors on the application circuits, and my motherboard (using ALC887) seems to have them, too. Some other Realtek datasheets suggest 33 Ω resistors, though.

The amplifier is built into the ALC892, but you are not necessarily using it. It is possible that only the front panel headphone jack is amplified, while the front channel (green) output at the rear is a line out; at least, that is the case on my motherboard.

Are you using the onboard sound card?
I decided to go with Phoebus. It is expensive i know but i prefer to spend big one time that little few times. Besides it give room if i want to buy bigger headphones tomorrow.
Thanks for the advices guys...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back