Xonar DX vs STX
Jun 14, 2010 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

medex

New Head-Fier
When running low impedance headphones 64Ohm (A700), how much better would the STX sound vs the DX?  Is the extra $150 worth the price, for just music, tv and movies.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 9
The DX is an awesome card for it's price but, don't get me wrong, if you have some decent headphones you will notice the difference between the DX and the STX right out of the box. I had the DX for about four months and it drove my HD555s very well and if I recall correctly they're 50Ohm headphones so I have no doubts that it will drive your A700s without any issues. Is it worth the extra $150, IMO yes, especially if you need really high quality stereo outputs. :)

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
The DX is an awesome card for it's price but, don't get me wrong, if you have some decent headphones you will notice the difference between the DX and the STX right out of the box. I had the DX for about four months and it drove my HD555s very well and if I recall correctly they're 50Ohm headphones so I have no doubts that it will drive your A700s without any issues. Is it worth the extra $150, IMO yes, especially if you need really high quality stereo outputs. :)

So you noticed a quality difference that was worthwhile with your 50Ohm headphones?

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 9
I have tested both the STX and the ST and find the strong part of the card is the DAC quality.  The can amplifer is reasonable for the end price point but it won't surpass external amplifers that are worth more then the soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back