Xonar DG or D1 for Harman/kardon SoundSticks II
Mar 21, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #17 of 25

Quote:
That depends on how much you game. If you play games with advanced audio, then a regular X-Fi Titanium would still outperform competing solutions, while being quite cheap. Although the prices you listed were a bit high.  
If you the difference between 2D or fake 3D audio and real 3D audio, then you should go with a X-Fi Titanium. But if you don't care much for high quality positional cues and more refined audio effects, going with a Xonar D1 is the sensible option in terms of price/performnce ratio.

And how would you compare the D1 and X-Fi Titanium in terms of music SQ ?

Also, just to make sure, when you say 3D audio you mean this right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_audio_effect

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #18 of 25
I find that the Xonar D1 has better SQ, not significantly but it's an improvement over the regular X-Fi Titanium. And while both cards can be (hardware) modded, they have different stock signatures, which might influence your choice as well.

What exactly do you play?

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:
I find that the Xonar D1 has better SQ, not significantly but it's an improvement over the regular X-Fi Titanium. And while both cards can be (hardware) modded, they have different stock signatures, which might influence your choice as well.

What exactly do you play?

I don't have the time to play much lately, but when I get back (and I will!) it will mostly be RPGs (e.g. Dragon Age) and FPSs (e.g. Bioshock)
And I won't be doing any hardware modding, too hardcore for me! Installing custom drivers would probably be the farthest I'll venture
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #20 of 25

Quote:
Quote:

I don't have the time to play much lately, but when I get back (and I will!) it will mostly be RPGs (e.g. Dragon Age) and FPSs (e.g. Bioshock)
And I won't be doing any hardware modding, too hardcore for me! Installing custom drivers would probably be the farthest I'll venture
smily_headphones1.gif

Bioshock is one of the best examples of how incredibly better audio can be in a game when using an OpenAL hardware accelerated card (such as a X-Fi DSP powerd card) compared to everything else.

It's really a shame you can't order a X-Fi Titanium HD, that would give you the best of both worlds, full gaming features and just about the best consumer SQ you can get. The SQ difference between the regular Titanium and the Titanium HD is noticeable. Can you buy an Auzentech X-Fi Forte? That should be priced between both Creative cards as well as having higher quality than the regular Titanium.

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #21 of 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bioshock is one of the best examples of how incredibly better audio can be in a game when using an OpenAL hardware accelerated card (such as a X-Fi DSP powerd card) compared to everything else.

It's really a shame you can't order a X-Fi Titanium HD, that would give you the best of both worlds, full gaming features and just about the best consumer SQ you can get. The SQ difference between the regular Titanium and the Titanium HD is noticeable. Can you buy an Auzentech X-Fi Forte? That should be priced between both Creative cards as well as having higher quality than the regular Titanium.

I won't buy an Auzen for the same reasons I won't buy the HD (cost + warranty)
What I can buy is the X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro for 190$ (more than double the D1, but I buy it in a store here and get warranty)
I assume it's as good as the HD ?

Keep in mind though, that while I enjoy and appreciate high quality audio very much, my setup is far from audiophile-worthy. 
My Soundsticks are simply plugged in to the sound card, that's it (no external DACs etc) - and I don't plan on changing that any time soon
Do you think I'll still notice the difference between the D1 and the X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro, in pure SQ as well as gaming performance ?

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
I won't buy an Auzen for the same reasons I won't buy the HD (cost + warranty)
What I can buy is the X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro for 190$ (more than double the D1, but I buy it in a store here and get warranty)
I assume it's as good as the HD ?

Keep in mind though, that while I enjoy and appreciate high quality audio very much, my setup is far from audiophile-worthy. 
My Soundsticks are simply plugged in to the sound card, that's it (no external DACs etc) - and I don't plan on changing that any time soon
Do you think I'll still notice the difference between the D1 and the X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro, in pure SQ as well as gaming performance ?

No, the X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro is inferior to the Titanium HD, but is priced higher due to coming with a Creative I/O console along with a richer bundle. Not really recommended. If you were to get a X-Fi powered card from Creative, it should either be a regular Titanium or the Titanium HD.

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #23 of 25

Quote:
No, the X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro is inferior to the Titanium HD, but is priced higher due to coming with a Creative I/O console along with a richer bundle. Not really recommended. If you were to get a X-Fi powered card from Creative, it should either be a regular Titanium or the Titanium HD.

I guess that settles it.
Factoring in all the constraints, the Xonar D1 looks like the best choice
I'll keep my eyes open for Titanium HD cards coming to stores here

Thanks a lot for your help !
You too PurpleAngel!

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #24 of 25

Quote:
I guess that settles it.
Factoring in all the constraints, the Xonar D1 looks like the best choice
I'll keep my eyes open for Titanium HD cards coming to stores here

Thanks a lot for your help !
You too PurpleAngel!

Good luck with your purchase :)

And remember, use the latest manufacturer drivers first, and only switch to modded drivers if you encounter issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back