Xonar DG or D1 for Harman/kardon SoundSticks II
Mar 19, 2012 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

t0x1n

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using my onbaord Realtek ALC889 and I want a nice (internal) upgrade

On one hand, I don't care much about headphones (which is the big selling point of the DG)
On the other hand, I don't care about the D1's extra features (7.1, 192KHz, etc.)

So as long as both cards will have about the same SQ and sufficient volume for speakers (specifically my H/K SSII), I'm thinking of simply getting the cheaper one = DG
(the volume level I get with the onboard is quite enough for me)

Your thoughts are appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 25

Quote:
I'm currently using my onbaord Realtek ALC889 and I want a nice (internal) upgrade
On one hand, I don't care much about headphones (which is the big selling point of the DG)
On the other hand, I don't care about the D1's extra features (7.1, 192KHz, etc.)
So as long as both cards will have about the same SQ and sufficient volume for speakers (specifically my H/K SSII), I'm thinking of simply getting the cheaper one = DG
(the volume level I get with the onboard is quite enough for me)

Your thoughts are appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Get the D1, the D1 (& DX) comes with a better DAC.
Also the audio processor on the D1/DX (CMI8788) is one generation new then the DG's audio processor (CMI8786).
Currently there is a $20 mail in rebate on the D1/DX, $10 for the DG.
A used Xonar D1 ($60) is even cheaper then the new D1 ($85-$20) with rebate.

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 25

Quote:
Also the audio processor on the D1/DX (CMI8788) is one generation new then the DG's audio processor (CMI8786).

Got it, will do
cool.gif

BTW, would you recommend using the custom unified drivers or should I just go with the stock drivers?

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
Got it, will do
cool.gif

BTW, would you recommend using the custom unified drivers or should I just go with the stock drivers?

I do you use Bitbrain Unified Xonar Drivers, not sure if it helps or not, but I do install them.

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 25

Quote:

The Xonar DX DAC isn't newer, it is the original hardware version that was downsized in order to make the cheaper Xonar DG DAC. It's the second time I told you this already.

t0x1n, the Xonar DX (the PCIe version of the D1) does have better sound quality than the Xonar DG. Regardless of having more channels, it will improve your listening over the Xonar DG and especially over your onboard audio chip.
How far can you stretch your budget?

EDIT: Only use those modified drivers if you actually have any issues, as the modified drivers don't improve sound quality, only issues that some users might have.

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 25
@PurpleAngel - Thanks again
smile.gif

@Roller - Where I live the costs go like this:

Xonar DG = 50$ (from eBay, no warranty)
Xonar D1 = 85$
X-Fi Titanium = 131$
Xonar DX = 162$

I can stretch my budget but if the D1 and DX are essentially the same card, considering the prices above I'd say the D1 is the best choice - would you agree ?
I mainly care about music, but good gaming performance would be nice as well (both with speakers). I don't care much about movie performance (not even sure the card is at play when I use HDMI audio)

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
The Xonar DX DAC isn't newer, it is the original hardware version that was downsized in order to make the cheaper Xonar DG DAC. It's the second time I told you this already.
t0x1n, the Xonar DX (the PCIe version of the D1) does have better sound quality than the Xonar DG. Regardless of having more channels, it will improve your listening over the Xonar DG and especially over your onboard audio chip.
How far can you stretch your budget?
EDIT: Only use those modified drivers if you actually have any issues, as the modified drivers don't improve sound quality, only issues that some users might have.

I did not say newer, just better, which what you stated for the Xonar DX being better then the DG.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0x1n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Xonar DX = 162$

Are you sure that is not the D2X ? $162 would be quite overpriced for a DX.

The D1 should be fine if you have a motherboard with free PCI slot(s), and do not plan to upgrade to one in the near future that does not.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
smile.gif

Xonar D1 = 85$
X-Fi Titanium = 131$
Xonar DX = 162$

I can stretch my budget but if the D1 and DX are essentially the same card, considering the prices above I'd say the D1 is the best choice - would you agree ?
I mainly care about music, but good gaming performance would be nice as well (both with speakers). I don't care much about movie performance (not even sure the card is at play when I use HDMI audio)

The Xonar DX & D1 usually sell for about the same price.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
I did not say newer, just better, which what you stated for the Xonar DX being better then the DG.

Ah ok, I read it differently.

Quote:
smile.gif

Xonar D1 = 85$
X-Fi Titanium = 131$
Xonar DX = 162$

Yes, the Xonar D1 and Xonar DX are the same card, except on runs off the PCI bus while the other runs off the PCIe bus.

Now here is the thing, having good gaming audio performance means you have to drop the Asus cards if you want to access both the complete advanced audio options available in games as well as high quality positional cues, which is something you can only find in a card that has a X-Fi DSP. Such cards include Creative X-Fi Titanium, Auzentech X-Fi Forte and Creative X-Fi Titanium HD. A card to be avoided at all costs is the Creative X-Fi XtremeAudio, as it lacks the X-Fi DSP chip, making it very gimped for gaming. Since Creative is the only manufacturer that holds all the gaming audio related techs, and they have only licensed a few, you basically have to put them on the top of your list if you do more than casual gaming.

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 25
@PurpleAngel, stv014 - It's the DX.
Welcome to Israel, overpricing paradise 
rolleyes.gif

@Roller - Like I said gaming features are nice but I care about SQ more.
I won't pay 50% more to get a card with possibly lower SQ (and possibly worse drivers?) just to get some improvement in gaming features.
Plus, it is my understanding that ASUS's EAX emulation is pretty good - will I even notice a difference with my 2.1 setup? (or headphones?)

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
Plus, it is my understanding that ASUS's EAX emulation is pretty good - will I even notice a difference with my 2.1 setup? (or headphones?)

"My understanding that Asus's EAX emulation is pretty good"
That statement is heresy to Roller, be prepared to be hounded by Roller.

Anyway, just get the D1 (PCI), the audio processor used was first design for a PCI slot.
The DX come with an extra bridge chip so the PCI based audio processor can communicate with the PCI-Express bus.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #13 of 25
Considering that good gaming performance is apparently a prerequisite of the OP, then it's only logical to go with a soundcard that actually has gaming features at its core.

And considering that the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD mops the floor (in terms of pure SQ as well as having full gaming support) with all Asus cards except the Essence STX, which is on the same level, I really don't know where you're getting that "pay 50% more to get a card with possibly lower SQ".
Answering to your question, yes there is a very clear audible difference between a X-Fi powered card and an Asus card, the former having much more accurate audio.

PurpleAngel, I'm just stating facts. Asus and virtually all manufacturers have no real gaming support whatsoever, and their software emulation is underperforming in SQ as well as being quite buggy, since games don't recognize Asus cards as having gaming features, despite Asus drivers having a button that increases voice support on a few selected apps.

So, if you just play Angry Birds, you can safely go with a Xonar DX, but if you play 3D games that require higher qualty audio, then start looking at a Creative X-Fi Titanium or an Auzentech X-Fi Forte.

Mar 21, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
Considering that good gaming performance is apparently a prerequisite of the OP, then it's only logical to go with a soundcard that actually has gaming features at its core.

And considering that the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD mops the floor (in terms of pure SQ as well as having full gaming support) with all Asus cards except the Essence STX, which is on the same level, I really don't know where you're getting that "pay 50% more to get a card with possibly lower SQ".
Answering to your question, yes there is a very clear audible difference between a X-Fi powered card and an Asus card, the former having much more accurate audio.

PurpleAngel, I'm just stating facts. Asus and virtually all manufacturers have no real gaming support whatsoever, and their software emulation is underperforming in SQ as well as being quite buggy, since games don't recognize Asus cards as having gaming features, despite Asus drivers having a button that increases voice support on a few selected apps.

So, if you just play Angry Birds, you can safely go with a Xonar DX, but if you play 3D games that require higher qualty audio, then start looking at a Creative X-Fi Titanium or an Auzentech X-Fi Forte.

I can't get the X-Fi Titanium HD (not sold in my country and far too expensive to order from abroad - not to mention I won't have the warranty),
Does your answer remain the same for the regular X-Fi Titanium ?

Mar 21, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
I can't get the X-Fi Titanium HD (not sold in my country and far too expensive to order from abroad - not to mention I won't have the warranty),
Does your answer remain the same for the regular X-Fi Titanium ?

That depends on how much you game. If you play games with advanced audio, then a regular X-Fi Titanium would still outperform competing solutions, while being quite cheap. Although the prices you listed were a bit high.

If you the difference between 2D or fake 3D audio and real 3D audio, then you should go with a X-Fi Titanium. But if you don't care much for high quality positional cues and more refined audio effects, going with a Xonar D1 is the sensible option in terms of price/performnce ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back