XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Sep 1, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #3,421 of 3,865
I've had one of these

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/111-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wmanual-power-switch.html

for about a week now

Running of a nominal 5v linear power supply (just a cheap from eBay)

My DAC has an XMOS receiver itself (an earlier version I assume but I don't know for sure) so I am able to compare quite easily

The S/PDIF input is much more detailed with the voices and instruments being more distinctly separated in space

It might be a touch harsher on poor quality recordings but it is nonetheless my default input now

Toying with the idea of a better power supply, so any suggestions welcome

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #3,423 of 3,865
  I'm wanting to dip my toes in some of these devices. But was wondering if it's possible or has anyone added a AES/EBU out to the Singxer F1.

I don't know about fitting an AES output to an F1, but just checking you are aware the SU-1 (albeit more costly) has an AES/EBU output?

http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/singxer-su-1-usb-digital-interface-with-xmos-xu208-cpld-dsd256-dop.html

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #3,424 of 3,865
I've had one of these

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/111-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wmanual-power-switch.html

for about a week now

My DAC has an XMOS receiver itself (an earlier version I assume but I don't know for sure) so I am able to compare quite easily

The S/PDIF input is much more detailed with the voices and instruments being more distinctly separated in space

It might be a touch harsher on poor quality recordings but it is nonetheless my default input now

Why not get the iPower ?
This small PSU makes a noticeable improvement from the Regen PSU which is triple the size but obviously not better..

when upgrading, Look into the specs for how well regulated the PSU is.

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #3,425 of 3,865
Thanks for the info.... I am setting up now to give it some significantly more break-in time before again checking vs. the Tanly.. (the Tanly has months of playing time on it)
I will get back to you guys with some additional comments early next week..

I'm also looking forward to what you find out here. And it's nice to see that you started out by saying so far the Tanly sounds better, makes me believe you aren't getting caught up in the SU-1 quite yet.

Sep 1, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #3,427 of 3,865
Sorry for the off-topic post, but does anyone know if there is a product from DXIO/Singxer or a similar company that goes from SPDIF to USB?  For example, if I am trying to record music and I want to go from the SPDIF out of a Mytek ADC into the usb of my computer.  Thanks!

Sep 1, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #3,428 of 3,865
I've had one of these

for about a week now

I'll have the ifi ipower saturday to try with mine. Will let you know if it's better than my generic lps.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #3,429 of 3,865
  Sorry for the off-topic post, but does anyone know if there is a product from DXIO/Singxer or a similar company that goes from SPDIF to USB?  For example, if I am trying to record music and I want to go from the SPDIF out of a Mytek ADC into the usb of my computer.  Thanks!

Mutec MC-1.2 might be what you're looking for, although it is about $500. http://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-12.php

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #3,432 of 3,865
Any idea what the +3.3V pin on the output header are connected to?  Do these bypass the power supplies to the CPLD and clocks?  

Might be easy enough just to hook up the 3.3V supply from inside my NFB7.32 while I sort out ultimate power supply.  So frustrated I missed the Salas R-D group buy.

I mean the other thing does anyone know what the maximum power draw from the XMOS chip is?  I see in specs 170mV average.  I know ADP150 only can do 150mV or somethine.  ADP151 200mV might be safer but still if I can't find out max power draw no point making things worse.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #3,433 of 3,865
  Any idea what the +3.3V pin on the output header are connected to?  Do these bypass the power supplies to the CPLD and clocks?  

Might be easy enough just to hook up the 3.3V supply from inside my NFB7.32 while I sort out ultimate power supply.  So frustrated I missed the Salas R-D group buy.

I mean the other thing does anyone know what the maximum power draw from the XMOS chip is?  I see in specs 170mV average.  I know ADP150 only can do 150mV or somethine.  ADP151 200mV might be safer but still if I can't find out max power draw no point making things worse.

+3.3V connect directly to cpld's LDO 3.3V output.

--- generic LDO ---   CPLD
                                /                       \_   Isolation chips
Mornsun B0505S -----|                         \_  20 pin output header (3.3V)
                               \
                                --- ADP150 ---- CCHD XOs

Power consumption for the whole clean section is about 45 mA (measured value), haven't measured the dirty section yet.
B0505S's output current rating is 20 ~ 200 mA.

If you plan to replace LDO for XMOS, definitely ADP151 will be a better choice.

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #3,434 of 3,865

+3.3V connect directly to cpld's LDO 3.3V output.

--- generic LDO ---   CPLD
                                /                       \_   Isolation chips
Mornsun B0505S -----|                         \_  20 pin output header (3.3V)
                               \
                                --- ADP150 ---- CCHD XOs

Power consumption for the whole clean section is about 45 mA (measured value), haven't measured the dirty section yet.
B0505S's output current rating is 20 ~ 200 mA.

If you plan to replace LDO for XMOS, definitely ADP151 will be a better choice.

Thanks for the information.  Shame I was hoping for an easier solution to getting rid of the B0505S.  Much appreciated.

LT3042 based LPSU might have to do (I guess probably not big deal as it's pre regulator).  I should order parts so I stop agonising over the PSU.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #3,435 of 3,865
Just measured power draw for XMOS; while playing 44.1k PCM: around 20mA, playing 352k PCM: around 25mA. don't have reading for DSD playing (don't know how to do that); No idea why it is far below XMOS typical value, maybe the implementation haven't used the full power of XMOS 208.

Don't feel bad for Salas, if you compare spec with LT3042, it's pretty much at the same level, refer to "https://linearaudio.net/downloads" fig 5 ~ fig 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back