XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Aug 4, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #3,151 of 3,865
Hello,

Reading interesting things here about the master clock usage.
My DAC doesn't have I2S input (I use the AES/EBU) but it has a master clock one.

Do you think using the Master clock output from the SU-1 connected to the DAC is an improvement ?

Asking the question because today I don't have any cable for this master clock linkage.
As well, I need to move a jumper into the DAC to make it live.

Thanks for feedback

Rgds
P

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #3,152 of 3,865
I just got two su-1's tonight and 5 f1's!
I'm excited to spend some time with them.
The

The regulator for the psu....maybe I will mod one of them :)

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #3,154 of 3,865
  Ok, I posted a reply but it didn't appear cause there's a link to a website and i also cannot upload my pic here. quite frustrating.

Anyway, the cap upgrade sounds like a good idea.

I opened up my DC30W and the circuit looks like this one when you search on ebay: "TeraDak DC30W TOUCH linear power supply DC5V 3A"

There are 2 big caps and 4 medium sized ones.

Which caps should i be replacing?

Also I only found nichicon FW, KW, SW....but no HW. Could you please show me a good website where i can order them?
If you can't post a link here, please send it me a pm?
Thanks rob :wink:

I replaced all of them.  The large blue ones are 35V 3300uf, the small gray ones are 25V 1500uf.

You can find the Nichicon HW here at digikey - note the 10,000hr rating vs 2,000hr for the stock Pannie SU.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/capacitors/aluminum-capacitors/131081?k=&pkeyword=&pv13=89&pv13=157&FV=fffc01ed%2Cfc01ea%2Cffecc985%2Cfff40002%2Cfff80009&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Just be very careful - lethal voltages inside a power supply.  Best to know what you are doing when attempting this kind of mod.

Aug 4, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #3,158 of 3,865
You should try the [COLOR=666666]Nanophosphate®
 ANR26650M1-B 
[/COLOR]from A123 systems ( http://www.a123systems.com/lithium-ion-cells-26650-cylindrical-cell.htm )
They are well known for their exceptional performance in audio gear.

26650.jpg

Hi,

Finally in stock in the hobbyking eu wearhouse, netherlands, Zippy lifepo4, 4200mAh batteries. Bought a 9.9V and a 13.2V, The 9.9v is to power the Dexa regulators,5v and 3.3v of the second part of the F1. The 13.2v is to power a SPower HC low noise regulator to power the recovery and the first part of the F1. Both batteries cost about 75 euro's, a bit less than the A123's.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/catalog/Z42004S-30(1).jpg

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #3,159 of 3,865

I replaced all of them.  The large blue ones are 35V 3300uf, the small gray ones are 25V 1500uf.

You can find the Nichicon HW here at digikey - note the 10,000hr rating vs 2,000hr for the stock Pannie SU.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/capacitors/aluminum-capacitors/131081?k=&pkeyword=&pv13=89&pv13=157&FV=fffc01ed%2Cfc01ea%2Cffecc985%2Cfff40002%2Cfff80009&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Just be very careful - lethal voltages inside a power supply.  Best to know what you are doing when attempting this kind of mod.

Hey Rob,
Thanks a lot for the link :wink:
On my DC30W, the big caps are rated at 4700uf, 25V(may be 35V, not sure). Can I use 3300uf?

Another thing, i just got the f-1 today and comparing it with the new DXIO Pro3z, the soundstage of f-1 is much larger and more natural, nice extension on the top and mid range. the sound travels further and the bass is much more defined and also are enormous and fills up the space. Even being fed through a pc power supply, it is definitely better to my ears.

Anyway, my dac only accepts up to pcm 192 kHz on coax, currently i am downsampling everything higher than that to 192 kHz on Jriver. However I see on the f-1 box, it does have the word dsd. So my question is, is there another setting for Jriver apart from the downsampling that i do, which might benefit the SQ?

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #3,160 of 3,865

Hey Rob,
On my DC30W, the big caps are rated at 4700uf, 25V(may be 35V, not sure). Can I use 3300uf?

You never want to swap in a smaller capacitance than what is used unless you know exactly what you're doing. You can swap in a larger value, but not smaller.

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #3,161 of 3,865

Hey Rob,

Another thing, i just got the f-1 today and comparing it with the new DXIO Pro3z, the soundstage of f-1 is much larger and more natural, nice extension on the top and mid range. the sound travels further and the bass is much more defined and also are enormous and fills up the space. Even being fed through a pc power supply, it is definitely better to my ears.

Anyway, my dac only accepts up to pcm 192 kHz on coax, currently i am downsampling everything higher than that to 192 kHz on Jriver. However I see on the f-1 box, it does have the word dsd. So my question is, is there another setting for Jriver apart from the downsampling that i do, which might benefit the SQ?

TeraDak is constantly changing their configurations (I have two different DC-30W).  So go with the same value caps they have installed.

Here the two I have:

Interesting comparing the new Pro3z and the F-1, thanks for the report.

The DSD is available through DoP SPDIF or i2s at a higher rate.  So you can run DSD through the SPDIF, but you are limited to 64.  I think you have you rJRiver set right, although I'm a FB2K guy.

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #3,162 of 3,865
Have you seen this new comer ?

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/FUN01-XU208-XMOS-USB-Audio-Digital-Interface-XLR-AES-fiber-coaxial-LPS-L168-2-/122070100823?hash=item1c6bf1eb57:g:8t4AAOSwJqpXoJV-

Looks great !!!
Seems to have also isolation and a reclocker like the F-1.
But also a very good linear power supply and nice cases :)

Looks like the best candidate now.

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #3,163 of 3,865
Looks great !!!
Seems to have also isolation and a reclocker like the F-1.
But also a very good linear power supply and nice cases :)

Looks like the best candidate now.

Nice find, but the singxer su-1 blows that away in every regard.
This is a nice find though. It just that is has cheap kds clocks, not crystek femto level. Also it has el cheapo bingZi transformer. Su-1 has talema trafo. Likely the regulator they use is cheap too. It doesn't have HDMI i2s for those who care. Can't tell but I don't even see any transformer for the spdif, but at least it's got some nice C0G smd caps used. Otherwise the BOM is mediocre. I would like to know the specifics of the LDO used. The idea of two cases is good though! Better shielding.

I personally would choose the f1 or definitely the su-1 over this new comer.

And the su-1 just came out in silver too so you have color choice with su-1 now! I just sold a silver one and might of been the first one. :) I am going to mod my black su-1 with a belleson regulator and possibly a Simon tuned sealed transformer.

The f1 in the new case is really hard to beat for the price. It's one thing I wish would be to have option for DC input in the case. I'm going to ask/request Leter@singXer to release a model like this :) I'm sure it would sell well.

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #3,164 of 3,865
hi,

Using the Su-1 since 3 days, don't know whether the burn-in is finished or not but the sound is still improving and already amazing.
This is really a big step up over U8.

To me those usb interfaces really make the difference in pc digital music, maybe as important as changing for an upgraded DAC.
Things are moving well !

Rgds

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #3,165 of 3,865
Hmm, it would seem that a lot of you already beat me to the punch here but, what is the general consensus on the new XU208 chip? I am particularly interested in a unit made by Chinese manufacturer "Singxer." The unit is called the SU-1 and looks like this:

As far as I know the only place that these are available is at: http://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxersu1/ but I really want to hear some impressions from those of you who own / use one!

Also, shoutout to @bimmer100 (the DDC guru himself) for showing me this neat site! It looks like they are stocking a lot of exclusive gear / brands that I have never seen before.

- InsanityOne 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back