XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jul 1, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #2,882 of 3,865
They should have made the SU-1 with a dc jack instead of a transformer, less emi/rfi inside chassis and cleaner power if buying a lps.

I agree!

Singxer SU-1
I got mine a couple a days ago. I use it with the StarTech Port USB 2.0 Extender over Gigabit to the SU-1 and then connect to PS Audio DirectStream Dac via I2S.
The sound is the best I have heard from my system yet.

I would guess using the scale of soundquality used by rb2013 it is about 20 point higher than his highest. 
wink_face.gif

How would you know - you haven't even heard my uber USB chain?  Highly doubt the SU-1 beats a really good LPS on the F-1.  The circuits are about the same (but not identical).
The AOIP Rednet is in another universe then any USB I have heard.  And with a host of recent tweeks made better and better.  I'd estimate the RN3/Mutec about 150pts higher then the SU-1.

But for $300 the SU-1 is a good value for the money - just not sota computer audio - don't kid yourself.
wink_face.gif

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #2,883 of 3,865
  I agree!

How would you know - you haven't even heard my uber USB chain?  Highly doubt the SU-1 beats a really good LPS on the F-1.  The circuits are about the same (but not identical).
The AOIP Rednet is in another universe then any USB I have heard.  And with a host of recent tweeks made better and better.  I'd estimate the RN3/Mutec about 150pts higher then the SU-1.

But for $300 the SU-1 is a good value for the money - just not sota computer audio - don't kid yourself.
wink_face.gif

I didn't say I know I said I guessed. And how would you know mine isn't better, you haven't heard my über SU-1 chain with I2S out to the DAC.
Just kidding.
normal_smile .gif

You gave the Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2/Startech GB LAN Iso USB - 170pts
I would say that the Startech GB LAN Iso USB and SU-1 is at least on par with that and I have a better DAC than you. So 170pts + 90pts for the DAC=260pts 
There you see my guessing wasn't so bad. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #2,884 of 3,865
  I didn't say I know I said I guessed. And how would you know mine isn't better, you haven't heard my über SU-1 chain with I2S out to the DAC.
Just kidding.
normal_smile%20.gif

Good point!  Have you tried a Regen or Recovery with the SU-1?  Just wondering if they have as much of an impact as with the F-1.   Same for the iPur2.  Even with the ICRON/Startech GB Lan Iso Audio (must be the Iso Audio version) USB extender, these improved the SQ.

Speaking of - do you have the F-1 to compare?  Curious as to how they sound side by side.

Obviously I love the Singxer designed gear.  He's been following my AOIP thread  - so we shall see what he comes up with there.

PS What DAC are you using?  The PS Audio?

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #2,885 of 3,865
  Good point!  Have you tried a Regen or Recovery with the SU-1?  Just wondering if they have as much of an impact as with the F-1.   Same for the iPur2.  Even with the ICRON/Startech GB Lan Iso Audio (must be the Iso Audio version) USB extender, these improved the SQ.

Speaking of - do you have the F-1 to compare?  Curious as to how they sound side by side.

Obviously I love the Singxer designed gear.  He's been following my AOIP thread  - so we shall see what he comes up with there.

PS What DAC are you using?  The Gustard X20?

I have the PS DirectStream DAC.
I had the Regen in my chain before. But now with the StarTech Port USB 2.0 Extender over Gigabit (it is the ISO) to the SU-1 I didn't think that the Regen could make it better. I use my Plex LPS to the Startech so now i don't have an LPS to the Regen. But it is worth a try to put the Regen back 

Sorry no F-1, because my goal was to output I2S my PS DirectStream DAC.

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #2,886 of 3,865
  I have the PS DirectStream DAC.
I had the Regen in my chain before. But now with the StarTech Port USB 2.0 Extender over Gigabit (it is the ISO) to the SU-1 I didn't think that the Regen could make it better. I use my Plex LPS to the Startech so now i don't have an LPS to the Regen. But it is worth a try to put the Regen back 

Sorry no F-1, because my goal was to output I2S my PS DirectStream DAC.

The Recovery is better then the Regen - you should give that a try at some point.  I'd also try using a split USB cable from the Startech to the SU-1 (data leg only).

I did a face off for an evening on a PS Perfectwave Directstream DAC with the Breeze Audio DU-U8 $150) fed by spdif (unfortunately just a BJC cable) and the $1800 OR5 (with the Turbo PS) by i2s (PS Audio cable) to the PS Audio.  So we could do on the fly (well pretty nearly) comparisons. So I do think i2s is better - but not by leaps over spdif.

The OR5 and i2s was a bit better - but the spdif Breeze was within shooting distance.  I'd say the F-1 would be a very close match - and maybe beat the OR5/i2s.

The REDNET - well I don't think it would be a fair fight - just in a different league.  Even with spdif.

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #2,887 of 3,865
  The Recovery is better then the Regen - you should give that a try at some point.  I'd also try using a split USB cable from the Startech to the SU-1 (data leg only).

I did a face off for an evening on a PS Perfectwave Directstream DAC with the Breeze Audio DU-U8 $150) fed by spdif (unfortunately just a BJC cable) and the $1800 OR5 (with the Turbo PS) by i2s (PS Audio cable) to the PS Audio.  So we could do on the fly (well pretty nearly) comparisons. So I do think i2s is better - but not by leaps over spdif.

The OR5 and i2s was a bit better - but the spdif Breeze was within shooting distance.  I'd say the F-1 would be a very close match - and maybe beat the OR5/i2s.

The REDNET - well I don't think it would be a fair fight - just in a different league.  Even with spdif.

I use the Curious USB cable from my tX-USBexp-card (from SOtM) to the StarTech and a Curious USB cable from the StarTech to the SU-1. Is there a better cable that you recommend?

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #2,888 of 3,865
  I use the Curious USB cable from my tX-USBexp-card (from SOtM) to the StarTech and a Curious USB cable from the StarTech to the SU-1. Is there a better cable that you recommend?

I use the 200mm Curious from the Recovery to the F-1 and a LH Labs 2G (data only leg) from the REX to the Recovery, Forza Twin Copper split from the PPA V2 to the LEX unit.  The PPA V2 is fed by an ext LPS TeraDak 5VDC (which is what powers the LEX unit).  On the REX I use a 24VDC LPS (Breeze Audio R-Core).  The Recovery is powered by a TeraDAk DC-30W with a DC iPur.

The SU-1 shouldn't need to 'see' a +5VDC on the USB input to work - so a split cable maybe a great solution - running just the data leg.  I have a spare 2g from my main system for sale on Ebay.

This what I'm running in my office system - until I can find another REDNET used or until another Dante Brooklyn (or BKII) AOIP 2 channel hits the market.  Then the entire office USB chain will be sold - including the Startech.

PS I had a 1M Curious USB and did a rolling comp against the Supra, Forza Split, 2G split - the 2G was preferred.  But since the F-1 needs a USB power feed the short Curious is very good for that.  Better the the Recovery short cable certainly, and better then the Regen adapter.

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,890 of 3,865
  Well, - having both RBs DAC, - (I own the APL too), and having a Directstream DAC in my system to directly compare: I can say that your statement is entirely untrue...

At least from where I sit....

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

You are sitting to far from your system
blink.gif
 if you think that the APL is better than the DirectStream.

Just joking around, Of course everyone has their own preference. I'm glad you like your APL better than the Directstream.

Cheers mate!

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #2,891 of 3,865

Nice to know that you also tried the Direcstream back to back with your APL. For me, - it didn't do as advertised, - which was to make Redbook sound like DSD.

I didn't try it with I2s however. Of course, - the APL can't do I2s, - so it wasn't a completely unfair test.

My AS Statement 1.5m SPDIF cable is due to arrive here at work any second.....

We're going to be cranking some music tonight.

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #2,892 of 3,865
blink.gif

Just joking around, Of course everyone has their own preference. I'm glad you like your APL better than the Directstream.

Cheers mate!

I hear ya... I'm also on the "taking the piss" bus....

The Directstream is a great product. And I'm not sure whether APL or PS Audio was first out with their versions. APL does make a tubed, reference, FPGA-everything-to-DSD, DAC as well as a non-tubed, - more budget DSD-s version that is priced similarly to the Directstream.

They're all great
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #2,893 of 3,865
  Well, - having both RBs DAC, - (I own the APL too), and having a Directstream DAC in my system to directly compare: I can say that your statement is entirely untrue...

At least from where I sit....

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Having heard all three DACs - I would have to agree.

blink.gif

Cheers mate!

While the Perfectwave DirectStream is very good - especially on DSD native files - it lacks the bloom and tonality of the APL and particularly the intensely dense tonal pallette of the modded DAC60.  This is due to the very well done tube output stages on both these DACs.

I'd have to concur with Darko on his ranking of the Perfectwave and Directwave (on PCM files):  The Perfectwave kinda in there with the Gumby, the Directwave a notch above, but not at the top.  Note the R2R PCM1704 , tubed output, La Scala MkII at the top of his list.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/the-darko-dac-index/

Premier League 
Division 1
Division 2
Division 3

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #2,894 of 3,865

Nice to know that you also tried the Direcstream back to back with your APL. For me, - it didn't do as advertised, - which was to make Redbook sound like DSD.

I didn't try it with I2s however. Of course, - the APL can't do I2s, - so it wasn't a completely unfair test.

My AS Statement 1.5m SPDIF cable is due to arrive here at work any second.....

We're going to be cranking some music tonight.

I have the Synergistic Research Element Series Active Copper SPDIF coming on Tuesday.  Got a great deal from David Weinhart of Weinhart Design - almost 1/3 of the new price on a demo.  He says it's not quite as good as the new Atomsphere but pretty close and those are $2K.

The Audience au24se is little more detailed then the AS Statment 1.5M (which I'm still using in the office system), a touch deeper in SS as well.  So I sold the AS from the main system.  Funny swapping it in place of the BNC BJC between the RN and Mutec made no difference - it's only after Mutec MC-3+ USB as spdif reclocker do I hear changes.

So we'll see if the SR Element is better then the Audience.  At this stage even minor incremental improvents are notable and very pleasing.  It's like the better the source gets, ironing out any remaining wrinkles just is so noticible.

I hear ya... I'm also on the "taking the piss" bus....

The Directstream is a great product. And I'm not sure whether APL or PS Audio was first out with their versions. APL does make a tubed, reference, FPGA-everything-to-DSD, DAC as well as a non-tubed, - more budget DSD-s version that is priced similarly to the Directstream.

They're all great
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Would love to hear APL's new stuff!  Esp the tubed DSD-M.  MArcin from JCAT sent me pictures of his - I believe it's his reference.

I agree completely at this level - they're all great and would be happy to have any (and wish I could afford all!)

Cheers!

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #2,895 of 3,865
  Having heard all three DACs - I would have to agree.

While the Perfectwave DirectStream is very good - especially on DSD native files - it lacks the bloom and tonality of the APL and particularly the intensely dense tonal pallette of the modded DAC60.  This is due to the very well done tube output stages on both these DACs.

I'd have to concure with Darko on his ranking of the Perfectwave and Directwave (on PCM files):  The Perfectwave kinda in there with the Gumby, the Directwave a notch above, but not at the top.  Note the R2R PCM1704 , tubed output, La Scala MkII at the top of his list.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/the-darko-dac-index/

Premier League 
Division 1
Division 2
Division 3

PS Audio says that the best way to connect the DirectStream Dac is via I2S. I have earlier only used USB to connect to the DirectStream Dac and was rather satisfied with that. But with the SU-1 I got the opportunity to connect to the Dac via HDMI (even though it is a cheap HDMI-cable) and I found as PS Audio said that IT sounded much better. Specially on DSD-files. But I will probably skip the StarTech in a year or so and try the the road you guys are travelling. But for the moment I am very satisfied how my system sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back