XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
May 2, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,081 of 3,865
Sounds like a very interesting comparison. Dont forget to post it
smily_headphones1.gif

@abartels only linked those inakustik things for the cool looks .. otherwise I wont pay $1000 for a wire. Especially one full of air
wink.gif

And btw, they do have another (much cheaper) 'air' series. http://www.in-akustik.de/en/cables-and-accessories/speaker-cable/excellence/exzellenz-atmos-air-0060222/

Sorry - my money is going for LPS's for the ICRON/Startech 1 GB LAN USB boxes.

Man this thing has about 70 hrs and is already better then out of the box.  Silly great

May 2, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #1,082 of 3,865
  What box? Who's talking about a box? A golden box, to transport the cables??

Just kidding, no, of course not, those are interconnects, meant for ALL your XLR or RCA devices, not only for the $300 box 
biggrin.gif

Those are cables, and in my opinion they COULD be one of the VERY best, so, if interested, take a look, or read reviews, and if wanna buy them, buy them, if not interested, just ignore the post, ok?

Keep up the good work guys 
wink_face.gif

I have rolled through about 10-12 great interconnects -Nordost Valhalla, Synergistic Research Apex, Supra ISL Anniversery, etc...

This is the best I have found the Aural Thrills Audio BCS active tube IC's - they run from my DAC to my int amp.  Another amazing audio product.  Rolled 6 different NOS 12au7's and settled on the Mullard's 1950's.  Roll a half dozen power cords for the tube shielding box and settled on the Shunyata Venom.  Audio OCD much?
Tube Powered Biased Cable System         
We truly believe that Aural Thrills Audio has created the finest cable in the world bar none. We know that there is no other cable like it in the world, period. In simple terms the shield is actively powered by a real tube amplifier. In complex words, the sound is indescribably incredible. If you have never splurged on a high end interconnect, this is the time. If you like the sound of tubes you will love this cable. Tube rolling, power
TubeACS.jpg
cord rolling, interconnect rolling are all a reality for the first time in an active interconnect. The concept of a tube powered cable has never been seen before. After much research and listening tests, the impossible has been achieved. Other cables are just wire in comparison. This Tube Powered BCS is a reality machine.​
Compared to my other active cable this is without a doubt the best sounding. As usual it is much more difficult and expensive to make. It uses house voltage to power the shield. It is an actual tube amplifier in all respects including 12.6v filament transformer and 240v power transformer. The AC filament gives it a very rich tube sound. The refined power supply activating the shield adds more space than any other model I make. Besides tube rolling you can also change the power cord on this model giving you the ultimate control.​
 ​
The wire used is the same awesome 22awg used in our Bass Boss cable. I feel this cable has the best balance of highs, lows, bass, and detail. The wire is surrounded by a poly shield which is charged by the output of the tube amplifier.​
We need to talk about the importance of a good connector. Most connectors are made of Brass. This is done because brass is easy to cast into the desired shape not because it is a good conductor. Brass is a alloy of Copper and Zinc. Zinc is a terrible conductor of electricity. For that reason we have developed a Brass free Rca conductor which eliminates Brass form the signal path. It uses only the same silver alloy that is contained in our wire as conductors. The base of our exclusive Rca is made of solid Teflon, one of the best electrical isolation materials around. It effectively blocks all outside interference from entering your equipment through the Rca connection resulting in a quieter background. Connectors of this quality costs $50 or more each from other companies. They are standard on the Tube Powered BCS.​
  1. Exclusive AC Tube Powered BCS Design​
  2. High End Brass Free Silver Connectors​
  3. Four runs of 22awg Wire​
  4. Oxidation protection​
  5. Active Silver Shield​
  6. Lifetime warranty​
So how does it sound? Like a cable which is a good tube amplifier instead of the low tech solid state offerings of other companies. Extended highs and lows with imaging that only an active cable can bring.  I dare you to compare this cable to the finest out there. The shield is charged to 80 volts by a 12au7 tube amplifier which is coupled to the signal lines via some specifically manufactured resistors. Musicians step out of your speakers and into your room. Uncanny is the only way to describe it. At times I have been startled by sounds contained in recordings that seemed alive and in my room. Try out your favorite NOS tubes and you will hear the differences just like in amps. Change to your favorite power cord and you will again hear the difference just like in your amp. Nothing else like it.​
The signal lines are connected to the shield by a pair of specifically manufactured resistors. What is created is a pseudo balanced interconnect, as the shield is effectively neutral relative to both conductors. Relative to the equipment ground, the shield sees half the signal voltage swing. Einstein would ponder the following question, what if the wires do not know that ground is ground? The results are stunning!​

May 2, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #1,085 of 3,865
OK We have moved the AES67 discussion over to it's dedicated thread - did not have time to write-up the USB over Ethernet thread.

Will try and do that this week - but here is an update:

The ICRON/Startech 1GB LAN USB extender does improve with burnin (as @Superdad says it has clocks!) that makes sense. At 70 hrs even richer tone and the sound stage is widening even further, with even greater focus. Truly OUTSTANDING!

I can't say thank you enough to Paul McGowen for posting that Youtube video on their upcoming LANRover product.   Imagine that one will be even better!

The nonLAN Startech is do to arrive today according to Amazon.  So I'll have a chance tonight to give it a try and report the SQ vs the LAN version.

Decided to not crack open the cases just yet on the LAN Startech - not at least for a couple of weeks.  As that would likely void the Amazon return policy and warranty.
The REX unit does say on it 24V - not just the wall wart.  I'm hesitant to run it on 12V.  So for now will get a iFi DC iPurifier to filter out some of the SMPS noise.   I will reach out to ICRON and Startech to confirm running it on a different voltage will not harm the unit - esp in data only mode (no USB devices drawing power from the USB ports), before using a 12V LPS as @Superdad suggested

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

May 2, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #1,086 of 3,865

Yup. For the uninitiated and the tragically unhip, that's a PUC 2 Lite on the down low and an F-1 riding it bareback.

Ohhhhhhhh -- Child! IT'S ON like Donkey Kong up in here!!!!

rb- your reputation has all come down to.....

this:)

Oh one quick suggestion - place the Mylar bag under the F-1 as it does have electrical leads on the bottom.  Would not want to see something short from contact on the metal PUC2 lite case.  I have some great, cheap case suggestions if you decide to keep the F-1.  It'll also need about 200 hrs to burn in - maybe a bit more.

If the $180 F-1 can even come close in your system to the $480 PUC2 lite - then that would at least qualify it as a audio bargain.

Cheers!

May 2, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #1,088 of 3,865
May 2, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,089 of 3,865
Interesting:

http://www.resolutionaudio.com/?page_id=67

Resolution's Pont Neuf

features
  1. Power for the unit is provided by the USB port – no additional power adaptor is necessary.
  2. Connects directly to your home network via ethernet, or wirelessly by adding a wireless converter.
  3. No additional drivers are required.
  4. Extends the length of a USB connection to > 100 ft.
  5. Compatible with sampling rates up to 96kHz

The Cantata Pont Neuf allows for the compatibility and simplicity of a USB-based audio source without the physical limitations normally associated with USB connections; the limit of a cable to 15 feet in length. If your computer-based library isn’t within that distance, USB is no longer an option and more complex solutions are normally required.
The Pont Neuf overcomes this limitation by creating a “virtual” USB connection which can travel over your home network to the Cantata Music Center up to 96kHz. Regardless of how far away the host computer is, as long as the devices are on the same network, all of the benefits of a USB source device are retained. If an ethernet connection isn’t available, adding a WiFi bridge can deliver the same connection wirelessly.
Configuration is a snap since the Pont Neuf requires no additional drivers. Everything required to use the device is built into the Windows and Macintosh operating systems.
In short, you’ll hear the quality you’ve come to expect from Resolution Audio with the convenience and flexibility of a computer-based music library.

May 2, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #1,090 of 3,865
293 new posts since I last posted.  I'm not reading all of that lol.

ANYWAY, I'm a little disappointed with the ethernet->usb stuff.  I already had a medical grade ethernet isolater and I didn't need to send the signal over LAN so I bought the Startech 1 port deal http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-330-Feet-Ethernet-Extender-USB2001EXT2/dp/B008ABNZOE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

Here's how I rank my different configurations:

1. PC --> Uptone Regen --> F-1 XMOS

2. PC --> F-1 Xmos
3. PC --> Uptone Regen --> Schiit USB Gen 3
4. PC --> USB Gen 3
5. (tie) StarTech -->Uptone Regen --> F-1
5. (tie) StarTech -->Uptone Regen --> USB Gen 3

So, a couple of things.  The host unit of the Startech is powered by your pc's usb power but the remote unit has a cheap switching power supply to give it power.  This is the unit that plugs directly into your dac or usb to spdif device.  I didnt have a suitable plug to power the startech with my linear power supply so I bought this but I have no idea when it will arrive since the shipper isn't Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Super-Power-Supply%C2%AE-5-5x2-1mm-4-8x1-7mm/dp/B00EA4Q60K?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I will report back back what I hear.

May 2, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #1,091 of 3,865
Just thinking of a change in my F1 chain would be worth it.
Found a used Uptone Regen (amber) and a Sbooster lps to the regen, about half price from buying new ones.

My chain now:

Intel NUC
Sbooster vbus blocker
Supra USB cable
Aqvox psu
Intona isolator
Supra USB cable
F1
Oehlbach coax cable
Hegel H80 coax 1

Maybe better chain?:

Intel NUC
Sbooster vbus blocker
Supra USB cable
Aqvox psu
Intona isolator
Sbooster lps
Uptone Regen
F1
Oehlbach coax cable
Hegel H80 coax1

Inputs?
Can buy the Regen+Sbooster lps for about 250 USD

May 2, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #1,092 of 3,865
  293 new posts since I last posted.  I'm not reading all of that lol.

ANYWAY, I'm a little disappointed with the ethernet->usb stuff.  I already had a medical grade ethernet isolater and I didn't need to send the signal over LAN so I bought the Startech 1 port deal http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-330-Feet-Ethernet-Extender-USB2001EXT2/dp/B008ABNZOE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

Here's how I rank my different configurations:

1. PC --> Uptone Regen --> F-1 XMOS

2. PC --> F-1 Xmos
3. PC --> Uptone Regen --> Schiit USB Gen 3
4. PC --> USB Gen 3
5. (tie) StarTech -->Uptone Regen --> F-1
5. (tie) StarTech -->Uptone Regen --> USB Gen 3

So, a couple of things.  The host unit of the Startech is powered by your pc's usb power but the remote unit has a cheap switching power supply to give it power.  This is the unit that plugs directly into your dac or usb to spdif device.  I didnt have a suitable plug to power the startech with my linear power supply so I bought this but I have no idea when it will arrive since the shipper isn't Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Super-Power-Supply%C2%AE-5-5x2-1mm-4-8x1-7mm/dp/B00EA4Q60K?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I will report back back what I hear.

Well I told you guys to wait until I tested the nonLAN Startech - which arrived today.  Worse then a dud - it was popping and clicking on 192k audio.  Obviously can't handle 480bps

And the sound was awful!  This is the Rextron - rebranded Startech that Alex had linked to.
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-2-0-Over-Cat5-Extender-Extension-USB2004EXTV/dp/B00T9RTT2U?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Sorry but it got to be the high road (and expensive one) to get the benefit of this USB over Ethernet.  The Startech 1GB LAN version is the one.
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-330-Feet-Ethernet-Extender-USB2G4LEXT2/dp/B00HFGQESY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Now I just hope Amazon will let me return this one.

Cheers!

May 2, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #1,093 of 3,865
  Just thinking of a change in my F1 chain would be worth it.
Found a used Uptone Regen (amber) and a Sbooster lps to the regen, about half price from buying new ones.

My chain now:

Intel NUC
Sbooster vbus blocker
Supra USB cable
Aqvox psu
Intona isolator
Supra USB cable
F1
Oehlbach coax cable
Hegel H80 coax 1

Maybe better chain?:

Intel NUC
Sbooster vbus blocker
Supra USB cable
Intona isolator
Sbooster lps
Uptone Regen
F1
Oehlbach coax cable
Hegel H80 coax1

Inputs?
Can buy the Regen+Sbooster lps for about 250 USD

That was a score!  Nice going  How are you powering the Intona?  I see a VBUS blocker so it's not coming from the PC

May 2, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #1,094 of 3,865

That was a score!  Nice going  How are you powering the Intona?  I see a VBUS blocker so it's not coming from the PC

Intona powered by Aqvox psu.

Pretty happy with the chain since it finally beats CD/DVD players :)
Maybe the chain with Uptone Regen and the Sbooster is better?
https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco-5v-6v/regen-usb-hub

If using the second chain I need to remove vbus blocker or feed the Intona by the Aqvox...don´t know what to do yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back