XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
May 3, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #1,111 of 3,865
First, ethernet connection implies galvanic isolation as a standard (if we are talking of real USB ethernet extenders). Otherwise one broken device on the network would be able to destroy other devices on that network. And RJ45 cables are made of copper
Second, there are fiber connections but are mostly used for longer runs and greater speeds than standard 5e (or 6/6a/7) RJ45 cables. And of course fiber optics need different NIC (not standard RJ45 port). Sure, there are USB fiber extenders.

Thanks for the reply, I thought that because of Power Over Ethernet and Copper cable a galvanic isolation wouldn't be possible.

I saw some Fiber Usb extender, that's why I asked for the fiber optic ethernet cable

BTW what do you mean by "real ethernet Usb extender"? The one that goes on LAN only?

May 3, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #1,112 of 3,865
Yes- soundstage shaping up to be cavernous as advertised; but as for your hard-won reputation and its potential degree of sullification, well... we'll just have wait for more break-in before deciding with just how big a boot (if at all) the PUC gets booted l!
smily_headphones1.gif
Preliminarily I am indeed suspecting you will still be able to leave your house without a trench coat, a fake moustache and a rakishly tilted beret.
Of course, if that is already your preferred daily attire, then no issue:)

I definitely want a Wyred Revovery. Man! do I need yet another LPS for that or can I use the DC out from my Teradak like I did for the regen?

As for the LAN thing - I would first have to go back to college and re-train as a computer engineer to understand exactly what that thing is and why I can't possibly live without it.
Or... you could explain it in 8th grade reading level language in three sentences or less. Would definitely save on tuition fees.

No I'm a Blue Jeans kinda guy - cables and pants.

What voltage is your TeraDak set for?  You can adjust to 9VDC to use with the Recovery with an internal screw pot.

On the LAN thing - I can explain in terms a 4th grader could understand - IT SOUNDS AMAZING!  And really for me that's all I need - my ears don't lie.  And they are telling me that a well fed F-1 and this 1GB LAN USB are a killer combo.  It's super easy and was as simple to install as plugging in a USB cable.  Worked like a charm - simple PC reboot and away you go.

Now for the how's and why's well - See post #1103 for a possible explaination.  Certainly the galvanic isolation must help. See Paul McGowen's Youtube video.

Looking forward to more updates!

Cheers!

May 3, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #1,113 of 3,865
  Hi guys,

for ensuring galvanic isolation on the USB to Ethernet extender, is there any Ethernet Cable without copper out there? I don't know, a short fibre optic one?  

I think that otherwise Power on Erhernet would be available in the connection nullifying the Galvanic Isolation... 

Well I tried this Medical grade Ethernet galvanic isolator - and it worked great - but did nothing for the sound but darken it.  So out it went.

As long as you use a UTP unshielded cable or a STP with the shield disconnected at one end - you have galvanic isolation.

http://www.baaske-medical.de/en/Network-Isolator-MED-MI-1005?x1420a=44je9ad96oo417jcistdh4bqd3

May 3, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #1,114 of 3,865
  The box arrived and I've been having fun with drills and files. Now I'm going to have to unsubscribe I think, lest I start getting tempted to buy more gear to tweak with! 
smile.gif

Nice case work!  You are more patient then me - filing that square hole.

Today I'm going to try some 3M RFI/EMI shielding on the inside of my case, just to see if that does anything.

Yes this thread can get expensive.

Just ordered this 24V LPS last night for the receiving end of the 1GB LAN USB (REX), will add a DC iPurifier once I sell some other stuff.  At least I'll get that 24V SMPS out of the system.  The other end sender (LEX) is powered by a iPower 5VDC.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161870356771?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

May 3, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #1,115 of 3,865
Thanks for the reply, I thought that because of Power Over Ethernet and Copper cable a galvanic isolation wouldn't be possible.

I saw some Fiber Usb extender, that's why I asked for the fiber optic ethernet cable

BTW what do you mean by "real ethernet Usb extender"? The one that goes on LAN only?

There is no power over ethernet on the ICRON/Startech 1GB LAN USB extender - it has a separate 24VDC power unit for the receiver (REX).

May 3, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #1,116 of 3,865
  Well I tried this Medical grade Ethernet galvanic isolator - and it worked great - but did nothing for the sound but darken it.  So out it went.

As long as you use a UTP unshielded cable or a STP with the shield disconnected at one end - you have galvanic isolation.

http://www.baaske-medical.de/en/Network-Isolator-MED-MI-1005?x1420a=44je9ad96oo417jcistdh4bqd3

The 
ACOUSENCE – GISO GB is a much better LAN isolator, specifically made for use with Audio over IP.
I put it in and never wanted to remove it again.

Better than any non-audio/medical device.

May 3, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #1,119 of 3,865
  The box arrived and I've been having fun with drills and files. Now I'm going to have to unsubscribe I think, lest I start getting tempted to buy more gear to tweak with! 
smile.gif

Could you possibly give me an idea how long the box is? Thanks!

May 3, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #1,120 of 3,865

Yes it has to be 1GB LAN version.

I believe the optical are for extending maybe 10/100MB over longer distances.  I tested the USB shield with a continuity tester  - yes it is galvanically isolated.

May 3, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,123 of 3,865

For sending power over ethernet you have to have special PoE ports.

"Real ethernet Usb extender" - one that can be plugged to LAN. Of course you can always connect sender and receiver directly, omitting a LAN switch.
Like this one, 4-port, gigabit, $479.99
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-330-Feet-Ethernet-Extender-USB2001EXT2/dp/B008ABNZOE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01
Others ethernet Usb extenders just use ethernet cable to physically connect sender and receiver side directly. But can not be plugged to LAN because they don't meet ethernet standards.

May 3, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #1,124 of 3,865
SPDIF cable length  

So I own an old Stereovox HDXV one metre length spdif cable, which received positive reviews a decade ago. Being under 1.5 metres*, is it likely to have an audible effect between F1 and DAC?

* http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

May 3, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #1,125 of 3,865
There is also German afi and afi USB solution to transmitt USB signal from computer over fibre optics and then reclock the signal and send digial to DAC.
http://www.artistic-fidelity.de/index.php/en/usb-module

Some find it better then Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock USB (use google translate):
http://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3515&start=45

Users who are viewing this thread

Back