XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Apr 27, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #826 of 3,865
Eh. I guess I DIY too much to want to spend $$$$ on anything Power Supply related. Amb makes great LPS stuff and for digital specifically there's the Salas LV Shunt kits over at diyaudio. Not to mention amazing old stuff like Astron power supplies on ebay for 11-15v. On and on.

And then there are buried treasures, hidden away in other forums like the Hammond Choke 193L and 193M filter. Just add wall plug from local store and voila, power conditioner that will knock your socks off...

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #827 of 3,865

Fair enough - I take back my snark.

Well I just hate to see potentially great advancements get the snuff treatment - before they get a chance to be heard.  It's constant around the audio blogosphere - the Regen got the treatment, the F-1 to a degree by a few perma-skeptics.   It's the insinuation that the thread starter is either a 'dup' or corrupted by personal interest, and the tone used.  Just the word you used 'Hype' is over-hyped, and has malicious connotations.  Disagree all you want to about my or others comments on stuff we are enthused about - if you have it or heard it - great.  But just rank dismissal of all new stuff - is uncalled for - hence my snark and attitude.

Raining on other's parade is a common technique for placing one above others - go start your own thread bashing this new stuff - it would be great.  A Troll heaven - see how many join and view it.

Paul has great credibility with me - now why he would post this video is a mystery to me, especially when it's still in beta testing and worse it's not a in-house project-  but OEM'd. 
confused.gif

But I thank him for it!  No questions asked Amazon refund policy and low cost local shipping make this a no-brainer experiment.

I don't mock stuff anyone have or have heard, not even mocked your or others enthusiasm for LanRover. Never did this. I've just pointed to be careful.
And never insinuated you have any personal interest in stuff you've been describing here.

I don't believe audio salesman even so well known as Paul. It's just my habit.
What I believe is my ears. And not always, you know, biases, mood, money spent :)
And if many others have confirmed something is good and compare it with other stuff in stable environment then there is a chance (not a certainty) that it could sound good in my rig and I could try and judge finally. For example (thanks to you) many of you confirmed F1 is exceptional good or at least better than Breeze. We all know rating depends on many factors.

So I conclude it's worth trying in future.
"Hype" was used to Paul but my english isn't probably good. In my opinion the video could be made to construct anticipation, people waiting for stuff, conjecturing, telling each other. The news is spread. Could be just old free internet ad technique. It's not bad but has nothing to do with real testing. So I'm not denying it could be good, I'm mentaly sceptical for now.
And later I'll try to construct some more rational anxiety...

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #828 of 3,865
  Eh. I guess I DIY too much to want to spend $$$$ on anything Power Supply related. Amb makes great LPS stuff and for digital specifically there's the Salas LV Shunt kits over at diyaudio. Not to mention amazing old stuff like Astron power supplies on ebay for 11-15v. On and on.

And then there are buried treasures, hidden away in other forums like the Hammond Choke 193L and 193M filter. Just add wall plug from local store and voila, power conditioner that will knock your socks off...

Well the Startech nonLan uses only 5VDC not 12VDC like the LAN version.  That would be way easier to power up with a nice LPS.

Love hammond chokes!  Used one in my DAC60 Mod Project

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #829 of 3,865
Hi,

That was a question that i've been wanting to put to you. How would one run external power into the F-1? I was assuming that the board would work great off of the mR with USB power. Jesus of Sonore said that the mR will run a HiFace fine, - and I assumed that F-1 would be also.....

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #830 of 3,865
  I don't mock stuff anyone have or have heard, not even mocked your or others enthusiasm for LanRover. Never did this. I've just pointed to be careful.
And never insinuated you have any personal interest in stuff you've been describing here.

I don't believe audio salesman even so well known as Paul. It's just my habit.
What I believe is my ears. And not always, you know, biases, mood, money spent :)
And if many others have confirmed something is good and compare it with other stuff in stable environment then there is a chance (not a certainty) that it could sound good in my rig and I could try and judge finally. For example (thanks to you) many of you confirmed F1 is exceptional good or at least better than Breeze. We all know rating depends on many factors.

So I conclude it's worth trying in future.
"Hype" was used to Paul but my english isn't probably good. In my opinion the video could be made to construct anticipation, people waiting for stuff, conjecturing, telling each other. The news is spread. Could be just old free internet ad technique. It's not bad but has nothing to do with real testing. So I'm not denying it could be good, I'm mentaly sceptical for now.
And later I'll try to construct some more rational anxiety...

All fair comments!  Well we will see on this 'discovery'  I'm willing to spend the time to try it out - and will give my honest opinion. 

After this experiment - it'll be down ThunderRoad - will begin the TB2 project...

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #831 of 3,865
With the iPower, - I've only compared it to the stock Squeezebox PSU, & some stock supplies for my FMCs, I either heard no differences whatsoever, or the $11 Jameco LPS wall warts sounded a little better. The iPower isn't a LPS, - and i must say that I'm not so keen on it either. Plus, a couple of friends have had theirs die. (The $11 Jamecos won't work with a SBT though).

You can try Teradak (must be set to 5V) with SBT. Should be better then stock wall wart

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #832 of 3,865
  Hi,

That was a question that i've been wanting to put to you. How would one run external power into the F-1? I was assuming that the board would work great off of the mR with USB power. Jesus of Sonore said that the mR will run a HiFace fine, - and I assumed that F-1 would be also.....

Well running it fine and running it optimal are to different things.  I can say the W4S Recovery is better then the Regen - as it uses Crystek CCHD clock, has ext power feed, and ultra low noise regulators.  Yet the use of an iPurifer2 in between did help!  So I would try it both ways.

The M-R is doing many things in a very small space - so sometimes that means compromises.

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #834 of 3,865
Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply. I will very likely never try popping open the case on my 9v Teradak and trying to step down the voltage to 5v for my SBTs, - which I just don't care about the SQ that much. If I ever kick up the quality of my bedroom system, - the first thing that I will do is get the SBT there to use a Halide USB DAC or something of that ilk. The PSU would likely come after I upgraded the amp there...   
But I do appreciate your thoughts..   Cheers,...

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #835 of 3,865
  Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply. I will very likely never try popping open the case on my 9v Teradak and trying to step down the voltage to 5v for my SBTs, - which I just don't care about the SQ that much. If I ever kick up the quality of my bedroom system, - the first thing that I will do is get the SBT there to use a Halide USB DAC or something of that ilk. The PSU would likely come after I upgraded the amp there...   
But I do appreciate your thoughts..   Cheers,...

Just be careful in there - the adjustment has to be done HOT - LETHAL VOLTAGES.

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #838 of 3,865
Thanks RB,

Man, - I so appreciate you sharing all this information, and all of the stuff you've been trying. I can imagine that you've spent no small amount of money, (& not to mention time), testing and listening....

Really grateful to you for sharing all of this information....

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #839 of 3,865
  Thanks RB,

Man, - I so appreciate you sharing all this information, and all of the stuff you've been trying. I can imagine that you've spent no small amount of money, (& not to mention time), testing and listening....

Really grateful to you for sharing all of this information....

Much appreciated!  Putting my Audio OCD to good use. That monster seventeen 6922 tube review I did - was a tough one.  Over 150 tube rolls in one week.

Well the big Startech has launched from the Amazon Seattle Biosphere cruising to my listening room - will be here and hear on Friday...damn when are they getting that same day drone service going...

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #840 of 3,865
Awesome........

I loved your 6922 review. My Blue Circle hybrid uses 6922s. The GF has already told me that she's gonna have me locked up if ever try to "tube-roll" the BC204.
bigsmile_face.gif

Also can't wait to read about your results with the StarTechs... I wonder if Ted Smith will mod/re-engineer the StarTechs and set them up as a single USB port. I am curious to see what the "LanRover" will be....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back