XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Apr 27, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #797 of 3,865

USB 2.0 RG2304GE-LAN

Features

1. Extends USB through 1000Mbps LANs
  2. Extends USB 3.0, 2.0 high-speed and USB 1.1 (both low-speed and full-speed) devices
  3. Operates with USB 3.0, 2.0 and 1.1 hosts
  4. Supports all USB compliant devices (including isochronous such as webcams or audio devices) up to 480Mbps
  5. True plug and play. No drivers required
  6. Supports all major operating systems: Windows®, Mac OS X®, and Linux®
  7. Uses a standard solid core Cat 5e cable for easy installation or existing LAN infrastructure
  8. Pre-paired networked configuration for simple installation if purchased as a complete Local and Remote Extender system
  9. Number of devices can be increased using additional USB hubs
  10. FCC Class B
  11. Rugged metal enclosure
  12. Support for advanced platform features such as SwitchableUSB™, Device Class Filtering, Simultaneous User Interaction, Hot Key support, and Vendor Lock.

Question it says "std solid core CAT 5e cable"  I assume a CAT 6a and CAT7 cable would work - as they are just made to handle higher freq and throughput - closer tolerances

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #798 of 3,865

USB 2.0 RG2304GE-LAN

Features

1. Extends USB through 1000Mbps LANs
  2. Extends USB 3.0, 2.0 high-speed and USB 1.1 (both low-speed and full-speed) devices
  3. Operates with USB 3.0, 2.0 and 1.1 hosts
  4. Supports all USB compliant devices (including isochronous such as webcams or audio devices) up to 480Mbps
  5. True plug and play. No drivers required
  7. Uses a standard solid core Cat 5e cable for easy installation or existing LAN infrastructure
  8. Pre-paired networked configuration for simple installation if purchased as a complete Local and Remote Extender system
  9. Number of devices can be increased using additional USB hubs
  10. FCC Class B
  11. Rugged metal enclosure
  12. Support for advanced platform features such as SwitchableUSB™, Device Class Filtering, Simultaneous User Interaction, Hot Key support, and Vendor Lock.

Question it says "std solid core CAT 5e cable"  I assume a CAT 6a and CAT7 cable would work - as they are just made to handle higher freq and throughput - closer tolerances

Yes, extended Cat5, and everything above is OK. Solid core normally is only used for long distances, patch cables, the ones we use on daily purpose, are not solid core but good enough.
If you have to bridge longer distances I would use solid core. But, all normal UTP/STP cables sold are not solid core.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #799 of 3,865
Here is a non-LAN USB port extender with just one USB port for $266 on Amazon. It looks like it can handle USB 2.0 no problem and high speed 480mBps.

The normal port extenders made by ICRON use a ASIC called ExtremeUSB®, and the LAN version uses the LionsGate™ USB 2.0 Extension ASIC.

StarTech.com 330-Feet 1 Port USB 2.0 for Cat5/Cat6 Ethernet Extender, Black (USB2001EXT2)

1. Extend a USB 2.0 device up to 100m/ 330ft away from the computer over a single Cat5 or Cat6 ethernet cable
  2. Connect USB devices with up to 480Mbps of bandwidth and the full 500mA of power for improved speed, compatibility and reliability
  3. Eliminates the need to cascade expensive, inflexible and space consuming USB hubs or repeaters for USB range extension
  4. One USB 2.0 port over a single Cat5/Cat6 cable
  5. Maximum extension distance of up to 100m (330ft) over Cat5 or Cat6 cabling
  6. Rugged, metal enclosure with surface-mounting bracket kit included
  7. Hi-Speed USB 2.0 compliant, with support for data transfer rates up to 480 Mbps
  8. Up to 500mA of power per port, for USB bus-powered devices

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EFZC5A?psc=1

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #800 of 3,865

Yes, extended Cat5, and everything above is OK. Solid core normally is only used for long distances, patch cables, the ones we use on daily purpose, are not solid core but good enough.
If you have to bridge longer distances I would use solid core. But, all normal UTP/STP cables sold are not solid core.

Thanks!  I ordered a few other cables from Amazon last night  - I can always use on my cable router.

Non-flat CAT 7 Premium 7ft  - $9.25

Tera Grand - Premium CAT7 Double Shielded 10 Gigabit 600MHz Ethernet Patch Cable for Modem Router LAN Network - Built with Gold Plated & Shielded RJ45 Connectors, 7 Feet Black

http://www.amazon.com/Tera-Grand-Shielded-Ethernet-Connectors/dp/B00CJLEHPM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #801 of 3,865
Looking at these ICRON USB extenders:\

The 1GB LAN version sells on Amazon for $970 under the ICRON branding:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U6K5LZS/ref=s9_hps_bw_g421_i7

From ICRON OEM page - where to buy - a list for the US - each gives details on the design and features - and a range of models:
http://www.icron.com/where-to-buy/

B&B Electronics+1 800 346 3119Connectronics+1 (319) 366 4971L-com Connectivity Products+1 800 343 1455IndustrialComponent.com+1 877 446 8947KVM Switches Online+1 (303) 604 0237Rochester Imaging Technology Corporation+1 (585) 672 5504KVMSwitchTech+1 (234) 380 5708Aegis Electronic Group+1 888 687 6877

B&B Electronics has a normal 2 USB port nonLan Extender for $369 and the 4port for $329.

http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/USB-Connectivity/USB-Extenders/Icron-USB-Extenders.aspx

The LAN version looks to be $900 but uses fiber for the USB
http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/Datasheets/USB-Ranger-2224-datasheet.pdf

USB Ranger® 2224 Multimode Fiber Optic USB 2.0 Extender Ranger2224 extends USB 2.0 beyond the desktop up to 500m over multimode fiber optic cabling using ExtremeUSB® technology. Ranger 2224 Features • Powered by ExtremeUSB® . Long reach USB 2.0 enabled by Icron’s LionsGate™ USB 2.0 Extension ASIC. • Extends USB 2.0 high-speed and USB 1.1 (low-speed, full speed) devices up to 500m over fiber optics. • Supports all USB device types: Control, Interrupt, Bulk and Isochronous at up to 480Mbps. • Operates with USB 2.0 high-speed host controllers and USB 1.1 classic hosts. • True plug and play, ready to operate right out of the box. No new driver installation required. • Supports all major operating systems including Windows®, Mac OS®, and Linux®. • Integrated hub provides four remote USB 2.0 ports. Number of devices can be increased using additional USB hubs. • AC power adapter at remote unit provides standard 500mA to each USB port. • Power adapter at local unit is not required for normal operation. • Ideal for a wide variety of USB devices, from printers, scanners, hard drives, and audio devices, to touch screens, web cams, and game controller

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #803 of 3,865
OK I think I have a little more clarity on the ICRON lineup.

Their is both a nonLAN and a LAN version called the USB Ranger 2304 - it does not appear at all on B&B offering page.  So I guess all those are just nonLAN USB extenders.

nonLAN version:

USB 2.0 Ranger® 2304 4-port Cat 5e 100 meter extender​

The USB 2.0 Ranger 2304 is a four port USB 2.0 high speed extension solution, enabling USB 2.0 connections at up to 480Mbps over 100m/330ft of Cat 5e cabling. The Ranger 2304 is the latest USB 2.0  extender system from Icron, offering the same reliable USB 2.0 extension benefits as the Ranger 2204, but with faster throughputs when using read/write devices such as external hard drives as well as supporting a greater number of connections (up to 31 devices and hubs). The Ranger 2304 provides an integrated four port remote USB 2.0 powered hub delivering 600mA to each port supporting all USB 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 device types (up to 480Mbps).

The Ranger 2304 provides true USB 2.0 extension at up to 480Mbps over Cat 5e cabling, without the need of additional software drivers. A true plug-and-play solution, the Ranger 2304 is compatible with all leading operating systems, and supports all USB 3.0, 2.0 and 1.1 peripherals such as flash drives, keyboards, mice, webcams and interactive whiteboards across a dedicated Cat 5e connection. An integrated four port hub allows for extension of up to four USB devices without the need for an additional hub.
.​
img9.jpg
Features​
  1. Extends USB 3,0, 2.0, and 1.1 (both low-speed and full-speed) devices​
  2. Operates with USB 3.0, 2.0, and 1.1 hosts​
  3. Supports all USB devices up to 480Mbps​
  4. True plug and play. No drivers required​
  5. Supports all major operating systems: Windows®, Mac OS X®, and Linux®
  6. Uses a standard solid core Cat 5e cable for easy installation​
  7. Number of devices can be increased using additional USB hubs​
  8. FCC Class B​
  9. Rugged metal enclosure​

LAN version:
USB 2.0 Ranger® 2304-LAN 4-port Ethernet LAN Extender System​

The USB 2.0 Ranger 2304-LAN is a four port USB 2.0 high-speed extension solution with the ability to connect USB 3.0, 2.0 and 1.1 devices  such as flash drives, keyboards, mice, and interactive whiteboards to hosts across a Local Area Network (LAN) using existing Ethernet cabling. Please note, isochronous peripherals (such as webcams and audio devices) are not supported.

The USB 2.0 Ranger 2304-LAN extends USB 3.0, 2.0 and 1.1 peripherals such as flash drives, keyboards, mice, and interactive whiteboards across a Local Area Network (LAN) and supports modern USB 3.0 controllers.  The Ranger 2304-LAN includes the ExtremeUSB® suite of features such as true plug and play (no software drives required) and compatibility with all leading operating systems. Up to 31 USB devices or hubs can be supported over LAN. Please note, isochronous devices (such as webcams and audio) are not supported.​
Features​
  1. Extends USB as direct connect or through 100Mbps or 1000Mbps LANs​
  2. Extends USB 3.0, 2.0 and 1.1 (both low-speed and full-speed) devices​
  3. Operates with USB 3.0, 2.0 and 1.1 hosts​
  4. Supports all USB compliant peripherals (except for isochronous devices, such as webcams or audio devices) up to 480Mbps​
  5. True plug and play. No drivers required​
  7. Uses a standard solid core Cat 5e cable for easy installation or existing LAN infrastructure​
  8. Pre-paired networked configuration for simple installation if purchased as a complete LEX and REX system​
  9. Number of devices can be increased using additional USB hubs​
  10. FCC Class B​
  11. Rugged metal enclosure​

Now here it says:
Please note, isochronous devices (such as webcams and audio) are not supported.​

So it appears no isochronous audio devices on the LAN version - but Async Audio devices OK - I guess?  Well mine will be here on Thursday or Friday Amazon tells me.  So we will see!

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #804 of 3,865
  On none of these ICRON boxes do I see galvanic isolation mentioned - is it just inherent to the USB to TCP/IP conversion - in other words magnetic coupling?

The LAN units are not sending power, the receiver is powered by what looks like a 24VDC power supply. (If I end up trying one of these, I've got a medical-grade 24VDC linear PSU I put together for a modified Bravo amp several years ago that would probably work nicely for this.) In addition, per the Ethernet spec, the ports are supposed to be transformer coupled... regardless of protocol (TCP/IP or otherwise). I would avoid using STP cable however, unless it specifically calls for it, and stick with UTP. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #805 of 3,865

The LAN units are not sending power, the receiver is powered by what looks like a 24VDC power supply. (If I end up trying one of these, I've got a medical-grade 24VDC linear PSU I put together for a modified Bravo amp several years ago that would probably work nicely for this.) In addition, per the Ethernet spec, the ports are supposed to be transformer coupled... regardless of protocol (TCP/IP or otherwise). I would avoid using STP cable however, unless it specifically calls for it, and stick with UTP. 

Thanks!  Is UTP unshielded and STP shielded?

Used STP back in the 70's in my hemi - good stuff.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #806 of 3,865

Thanks!  Is UTP unshielded and STP shielded?

Yes, STP is shielded, and the connectors have a metal shell that conducts the shield, where UTP cables do not. The transformer coupling applies to the data lines, not the shield.

Used STP back in the 70's in my hemi - good stuff.

beerchug.gif
   These days, I use Royal Purple in mine.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #807 of 3,865

Yes, STP is shielded, and the connectors have a metal shell that conducts the shield, where UTP cables do not. The transformer coupling applies to the data lines, not the shield.

beerchug.gif
   These days, I use Royal Purple in mine.

Thanks - looks like CAT7 are all shielded.  You would think shielded is better in an audio situation - but I guess not.

Wish I still had my '70 Hemi Charger - had a 2009 one though SRT - not the same...

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #808 of 3,865
OK found the Rextron USB extender that Alex posted - rebranded as Startech on Amazon for $137.87.  $9 shipping.

StarTech.com 4-Port USB 2.0-Over-Cat5/6 Extender up to 130-Feet with Compact USB Extension (USB2004EXTV)

by StarTech

1. Connect four USB 2.0 devices away from your computer over Cat5 up to 130ft (40m) or Cat6 up to 165ft (50m)
  2. USB 2.0 Extender over Ethernet
  3. Cost-effective & compact USB extension over single Ethernet cable
  4. Features 2 top ports
  5. OS independent
  6. Transfer rates of up to 480 Mbps
  7. Kit includes a transmitter and a 4 port hub receiver
  8. Plug-and-play and hot-swap compatible

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-2-0-Over-Cat5-Extender-Extension-USB2004EXTV/dp/B00T9RTT2U?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #809 of 3,865
  The ones provided seem very stable - both the F-1 and X-1 were running all night with out a freeze or unlock.  They may not be the latest drivers but installed without a hiccup on both my WIN10 and WIN7 machines.

Do any of the available F1 drivers enable changing of latency settings in the control panel?  

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #810 of 3,865
Same as this - nonLAN but high speed USB 2.0

http://www.rextron.com/index.php?action=product_detail&p=6&sid=0&id=47

Extend 4 USB signal transmission up to 50M by CAT5e Cable ​
■ Support the USB 2.0 high-speed host controllers (USB 1.0, 1.1 compatible)​
■ Plug-n-Play system without any driver or software installation​
■ Suitable for most of popular USB devices (USB web cams, USB printers, USB Scanner, external hard disk drives ....)​
■ 4 USB 2.0 ports are available and can be increased via using additional USB hubs​
■ Unique mecanism design of two ports on  top for easily connecting USB peripherals.​
■ Local Unit can be powered by the host PC​
■ Small profile for convenient installation and save space​
■ Fully support Windows, Mac and Linux system​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back