XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Apr 27, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #812 of 3,865
So I have the two Startech on order - one the super 'PS Audio'-like version - LAN supported.  And the regular HI Speed USB extender much cheaper - and the medical grade galvanic isolator.

When they all arrive will do a extensive listening session and start a new thread.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #813 of 3,865
  So I have the two Startech on order - one the super 'PS Audio'-like version - LAN supported.  And the regular HI Speed USB extender much cheaper - and the medical grade galvanic isolator.

When they all arrive will do a extensive listening session and start a new thread.

Interesting.
Just bought the F1, Intona, Aqvox, a couple of Supra USB cables and those might already be outdated 
basshead.gif

Will follow this.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #814 of 3,865
Ok looking at these Sonore UpNP/DNLA players  - it looks like to get the Crystek CCHD clocks on spdif you need to buy the Rendu Signature Series - $2800

http://www.rendu.sonore.us/signature-series-rendu.html

The Micro-Rendu only outputs USB it's $690 with an iPower
http://www.microrendu.sonore.us

I don't think any of these will work with Foobar in windows.

In the 'LANRover' PS Audio video Paul McGowen mentions their own 'Bridge' UpNP device and the limited players it works with and as he says "there we are stuck with UpNP, it sounds great but, you're limited in the number of programs it works with, it can be problematic --- 'fussy' is the way people put it..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQjJke5uM2g
dicusses UpNP at the 2 min mark

Sonore seems to really like the iPowers

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #815 of 3,865
  Interesting.
Just bought the F1, Intona, Aqvox, a couple of Supra USB cables and those might already be outdated 
basshead.gif

Will follow this.

Welcome to computer audio - as I say none of this new stuff, suddenly makes your current gear sound worse.

It's all a continual process of advancement.  The F-1 is the core of my systems right now - really thinking of just selling my analog rig - the digital is just so good right now.

If it gets any better - that could be a problem - as I have a hard time each night watching TV with the wifey.  Knowing what sonic joy is waiting for me downstairs...she's starting to comment on it..."we're not spending as much time together". 
ph34r.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #816 of 3,865

Yatta, Yatta, Yatta - trying to steal p**t negativity?  He's got a lock on that market.

Why is that anytime a new audio break though come along  - there is always the naysayer calling it hype.  They of course never have heard that which they criticize and in a backhanded way mock - worst call corrupt.  Ridiculous.  Especially in the face of near universal agreement - among those who have actually heard it

You've got me wrong. I'm not a naysayer or mocking.
I didn't say it couldn't work well or sound good.
I'm just sceptical of only one opinion and the opinion of the man who praises the thing he wants to start selling in near future.
We couldn't say it's a new audio break though because nobody has got a chance to try it or review it. So there can't be universal agreement of lanrover godness. I'm trying to be realistic and to tone down the enthusiasm before the final product will arrive and we can judge if it is sure something spectacular.

Dude this thread is not for you - try the Radioshack cables beat all thread...

If I were as sarcastic as you I would even say that this thread is not for people who don't share your initial enthusiasm for thing none has tried (besides salesman).
But I'm not and, as I said, we'll see (hear) if it is good.

PS. Yes, indeed, my cables are US ones but not from Radioshack :)

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #817 of 3,865

You've got me wrong. I'm not a naysayer or mocking.
I didn't say it couldn't work well or sound good.
I'm just sceptical of only one opinion and the opinion of the man who praises the thing he wants to start selling in near future.
We couldn't say it's a new audio break though because nobody has got a chance to try it or review it. So there can't be universal agreement of lanrover godness. I'm trying to tone down the enthusiasm before the final product will arrive and we can judge if it is sure something spectacular.

If I were as sarcastic as you I would even say that this thread is not for people who don't share your initial enthusiasm for thing none has tried (besides salesman).
But I'm not and, as I said, we'll see (hear) if it is good.

PS. Yes, indeed, my cables are US ones but not from Radioshack :)

Fair enough - I take back my snark.

Well I just hate to see potentially great advancements get the snuff treatment - before they get a chance to be heard.  It's constant around the audio blogosphere - the Regen got the treatment, the F-1 to a degree by a few perma-skeptics.   It's the insinuation that the thread starter is either a 'dup' or corrupted by personal interest, and the tone used.  Just the word you used 'Hype' is over-hyped, and has malicious connotations.  Disagree all you want to about my or others comments on stuff we are enthused about - if you have it or heard it - great.  But just rank dismissal of all new stuff - is uncalled for - hence my snark and attitude.

Raining on other's parade is a common technique for placing one above others - go start your own thread bashing this new stuff - it would be great.  A Troll heaven - see how many join and view it.

Paul has great credibility with me - now why he would post this video is a mystery to me, especially when it's still in beta testing and worse it's not a in-house project-  but OEM'd. 
confused.gif

But I thank him for it!  No questions asked Amazon refund policy and low cost local shipping make this a no-brainer experiment.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #818 of 3,865
Hi RB,

I'll be one of the first batch to get a microRendu, - any day now. I am not so sure that I'd say that they're big on the iFi Stuff like the iPower. I think that it's more like they want to offer something great, and something workable, thinking that many people already have LPSs with their other boxes, and they are working on their own LPSs for both the Signature and the micro, plus, - they partner with Uptone Audio who are coming out with theirs...

I snagged a Teradak off of Ebay and I'll likely buy the Uptone audio one with a FPGA when it is available in June or July.

The microREndu has Regen tech built in and the initial reports are that it is amazing sounding.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #819 of 3,865
  Hi RB,

I'll be one of the first batch to get a microRendu, - any day now. I am not so sure that I'd say that they're big on the iFi Stuff like the iPower. I think that it's more like they want to offer something great, and something workable, thinking that many people already have LPSs with their other boxes, and they are working on their own LPSs for both the Signature and the micro, plus, - they partner with Uptone Audio who are coming out with theirs...

I snagged a Teradak off of Ebay and I'll likely buy the Uptone audio one with a FPGA when it is available in June or July.

The microREndu has Regen tech built in and the initial reports are that it is amazing sounding.

Well that will be interesting for sure - do you know what clocks they will be using in the micro?  The Regen tech you mention is their ultra low noise regulators?  And USB reclocking?

Which TeraDak? The X1/X2 or DC-30W?  I would recommend the DC iPurifier on either TeraDak as the regulators they use are fairly noisy.

I saw Sonore post this chart on their website on the iPower:

Not knocking it I like the iPowers - a great low cost solution - I know Alex from Uptone is not a big fan.  I do prefer a LPS- but those are more expensive.  I applaud Sonore for offering the upgrade.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #820 of 3,865
Hi,

No, - i don't know what clocks are being used. And, - sorry, - also don't know the exact nature of how much Regen tech is built in. John Swenson designed the hardware. I know that it has a 1 GB of RAM, and a Gigabit NIC.

My TeraDack is the $140 30w version, - not an X1 or X2...  9v 2.5a LPS.

As I understand it, - the new Uptone LPS, - has FPGA built in, and is similar to the Sbooster type of topology where one still needs a wall-wart or LPS to send power to it. Alex said that the power supply doesn't address issues that switched mode PSs have with sending dirty power back into the mains. So, - I'm really hoping that my TeraDak can power the new Uptone power supply.

confused_face_2.gif

The microRendu seems to work with so many platforms. I'll definitely be trying UPnP, LMS, MiniMserver, - and very likely Roon...Unless Roon or MiniMserver sounds dramatically better, - I'll likely just stick to LMS as I have 4 Squeezeboxes running in our building, and 5 users of LMS/Squeeze. (I share a network with my downstairs neighbors). 

With the iPower, - I've only compared it to the stock Squeezebox PSU, & some stock supplies for my FMCs, I either heard no differences whatsoever, or the $11 Jameco LPS wall warts sounded a little better. The iPower isn't a LPS, - and i must say that I'm not so keen on it either. Plus, a couple of friends have had theirs die. (The $11 Jamecos won't work with a SBT though).

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #821 of 3,865
  Hi,

No, - i don't know what clocks are being used. And, - sorry, - also don't know the exact nature of how much Regen tech is built in. John Swenson designed the hardware. I know that it has a 1 GB of RAM, and a Gigabit NIC.

My TeraDack is the $140 30w version, - not an X1 or X2...  9v 2.5a LPS.

As I understand it, - the new Uptone LPS, - has FPGA built in, and is similar to the Sbooster type of topology where one still needs a wall-wart or LPS to send power to it. Alex said that the power supply doesn't address issues that switched mode PSs have with sending dirty power back into the mains. So, - I'm really hoping that my TeraDak can power the new Uptone power supply.

confused_face_2.gif

The microRendu seems to work with so many platforms. I'll definitely be trying UPnP, LMS, MiniMserver, - and very likely Roon...Unless Roon or MiniMserver sounds dramatically better, - I'll likely just stick to LMS as I have 4 Squeezeboxes running in our building, and 5 users of LMS/Squeeze. (I share a network with my downstairs neighbors). 

With the iPower, - I've only compared it to the stock Squeezebox PSU, & some stock supplies for my FMCs, I either heard no differences whatsoever, or the $11 Jameco LPS wall warts sounded a little better. The iPower isn't a LPS, - and i must say that I'm not so keen on it either. Plus, a couple of friends have had theirs die. (The $11 Jamecos won't work with a SBT though).

Great info on the new Uptone PS - waiting to see the outcome there.  I do like the DC-30w R-core teradak you have coming and did hear a difference with the DC iPurifier - it goes on the tip of the DC cable - and filters out some of the noise. 

I have heard the early versions (esp the 9VDC) had some trans mechanical hum issues.  I have a 9VDC and a 5VDC no noise or problems so far - it's been several months of 24/7 use.
I would recommend some typr of AC line filter and isolation.  I have dedicated Art Audio PB4X4Pro's for the DAC and separate for the DDC.  They filter and isolate the SMPS and Swenson's infamous 'Packet noise' from bleeding through the AC line into other gear - esp the DAC's.

They are not to expensive and well made discrete boards - they have to be the 'Pro' series to have the AC filtering:
  All PRO SERIES models have an additional internal discrete module called APF™ (Advanced Power Filtering) which filters out digital and dimmer hash as well as any high frequency noise that is above the audio range. Some off-the-shelf add-on modules saturate and lose their filtering effectiveness as the load increases, but by using a high power discrete design we were able to create a filter that stays effective over the full operating range.
By using both Common Mode and Differential Mode topologies in series for the filter design we are able to block virtually all of the unwanted noise that is between the AC line and ground, and also the two sides of the AC line. This has the additional benefit of reducing ground loop problems in your system. High frequency noise currents in particular are highly attenuated in both directions so that any line noise that could be generated by one of your components is not allowed to get back into your main A.C. wiring so if you use a number of PRO SERIES Power Conditioners in your setup, you can distribute and isolate the noisy components from the sensitive components in your system. Additionally, any signals above 10kHz are filtered from the line with over 40dB of attenuation above 100kHz and beyond.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=433046&gclid=CNPR0qG0r8wCFVBffgodxUcFrQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C91438732682%2C&Q=&A=details

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #822 of 3,865
AbeCollins on AA says that his local audio club heard the LanRover at a PS demo last Saturday, have asked if there was any feedback.

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=157240

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #823 of 3,865
  AbeCollins on AA says that his local audio club heard the LanRover at a PS demo last Saturday, have asked if there was any feedback.

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=157240

That'll be interesting...
popcorn.gif

PS It looks like the thread start was yesterday with link Mike posted yesterday to the Startech 1GB LAN USB extender...hum...

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #824 of 3,865
Thank you again for the helpful comments on the TeraDak. Alex said that there would be more details on the Uptone FPGA LPS soon. As I understand it, it acts more like sophisticated, programmed filter, - (it's going it have a programmed SD card). My TeraDak is sitting on the audio rack, patiently awaiting the microRendu....

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #825 of 3,865
  Thank you again for the helpful comments on the TeraDak. Alex said that there would be more details on the Uptone FPGA LPS soon. As I understand it, it acts more like sophisticated, programmed filter, - (it's going it have a programmed SD card). My TeraDak is sitting on the audio rack, patiently awaiting the microRendu....

It'll be interesting to see the Micro-Rendu and F-1 together - see is you can use some type of external power for the F-1.  Or it may just work great powered by the M-R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back