XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Aug 8, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #3,211 of 3,865

it will take me some time to open up the board, however this is XM 216 - 512

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/111-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wmanual-power-switch.html

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #3,212 of 3,865

it will take me some time to open up the board, however this is XM 216 - 512

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/111-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wmanual-power-switch.html

Yes I looked it up on the DIOYinHK site - they used to show board photos on the Pro3a, but don't on the new version.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #3,215 of 3,865
I'm lost ...
so how do you plug the PC usb output to the Startech ?

This might help - the ICRON/Startech GB LAN USB extender system has two boxes one recieves the USB input from the PC (this is called the LEX) and the other box outputs USB to the DDC/DAC (this is called the REX).

In between the LEX and REX is a CAT6 Ethernet cable.  This provides complete galvanic isolation on both the USB power AND the data lines.

The PC USB noise - both power and data (packet noise) are eliminated.  The USB data stream is completely reconstructed from a IP Ethernet data stream.

This is done by very special ASIC chips.

Really remarkable technology.

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #3,220 of 3,865
is it this item ?
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-330-Feet-Ethernet-Extender-USB2G4LEXT2/dp/B00HFGQESY

That's the exact model I have - bought from Amazon.  I would consider selling it at a good price - as I'm moving to Ethernet only computer audio. 

PM me if interested.  I have the original box, packing materials and cables.  I have a few nice CAT6 cables I can include.

Aug 9, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #3,221 of 3,865
Hello,

I have tried to understand which item would be a benefit in addition to the SU-1.
What I have understood is that the SU-1 is a good reclocker and prodives good output to the DAC thanks to its linear supply and output isolation.
Now it lacks galvanic isolation on the USB input.

I have tried to list the USB input/output items and their features, to me they can deliver 3 important characteristics :
- provide a good quality 5v
- reclocking
- galvanic isolation

If I'm correct, adding galvanic isolation would be an improvement, then having a good quality 5v I can't tell the benefit ... ?

I have understood the following items does not have galvanic isolation so would be less interesting in addition to the SU-1, except to cumulate reclocking items, but for which benefit ... ?
  1. Schiit Wyrd
  2. Uptone Regen
  3. W4S recovery

Thus the products that seems to be value added to the SU-1 would be the ones that provide galvanic isolation :
  1. Intona
  2. PS Audio LANRover
  3. Icron USB extenders
  4. Startech USB extenders

What do you think about my reflexion ?

Thx a lot
P

Aug 9, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #3,222 of 3,865
Hello,

I have tried to understand which item would be a benefit in addition to the SU-1.
What I have understood is that the SU-1 is a good reclocker and prodives good output to the DAC thanks to its linear supply and output isolation.

I have tried to list the USB input/output items and their features, to me they can deliver 3 important characteristics :
- reclocking
- galvanic isolation

If I'm correct, adding galvanic isolation would be an improvement, then having a good quality 5v I can't tell the benefit ... ?

I have understood the following items does not have galvanic isolation so would be less interesting in addition to the SU-1, except to cumulate reclocking items, but for which benefit ... ?

• [COLOR=000000]Schiit Wyrd[/COLOR]

• [COLOR=000000]Uptone Regen[/COLOR]

• [COLOR=000000]W4S recovery[/COLOR]

Thus the products that seems to be value added to the SU-1 would be the ones that provide galvanic isolation :

• Intona

• PS Audio LANRover

• [COLOR=000000]Icron USB extenders[/COLOR]

• Startech USB extenders

Thx a lot
P

Clean power is essential to maximize the performance of any hifi device. A clock signal is embeded in an spdif signal and will have addtional phase noise if amplitude noise is contained in it.

To maximize the performance of any ddc, you need clean power and isolation from the pc. Perfect isolation from the pc implies galvanic isolation to prevent common noise to be transfered from it to the ddc (noisy ground). In that same regard, the pc should be connected through a different power distributor than the rest of your chain because it is the most noisy component.

You can chain devices so that you get all the required elements, clean power and isolation.

In my case: mac mini > jitterbug > intona > wyrd > f -1.

There is another benefit to using a relocking device just before the ddc, like i do. It seems that it facilitates data transfer. This reduces the cpu requirement in the ddc and lower the noise floor, which translate in better sound.

Aug 9, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #3,223 of 3,865
A good way to have a clean power on these little boxes is the Ifi iPower. I tried one on my Squeezebox Touch and on a W4S Recovery, the result is very improved regarding à Teradak PSU.
So, I'm hesitating between Singxer F-1 and Dxio Pro3z in replacement of my Audiophilleo but are we sure these 2 USB interfaces doing their job better than an Audiophilleo (I own this interface with the battery modulation and this interface must be considered only with this option)?
For information, my source is composed with iPower->Touch->Curious Cable USB->W4S Recovery->Audiophilleo 2 with Battery modul.
Thx

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #3,224 of 3,865
 Hello,

- reclocking
- galvanic isolation

1. Schiit Wyrd
  2. Uptone Regen
  3. W4S recovery

1. Intona
  2. PS Audio LANRover
  3. Icron USB extenders
  4. Startech USB extenders

Thx a lot
P

Yes you have that right.  Now since the SU-1 has it's own built in LPS - the need for a good external one is not important like it is for the F-1.  This is were the Wyrd, Regen and Recovery are most benefical.  They all allow the fed of a high quality LPS to the F-1, additionally they provide some low noise power regulation.

Now be very careful as it's one model of the many the Icron/Startech USB extenders that provide the SQ boost that I and many others have heard - the one that is GB LAN compatible and does iso audio devices.  Like this one from Startech:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFGQESY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=

The Startech two devices REX and LEX allow for powering by linear power supplies.  On the REX (the side that outputs USB to the DDC), this could also act as a USB power delivery to the F-1 or like devices using a USB power feed.

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #3,225 of 3,865
A good way to have a clean power on these little boxes is the Ifi iPower. I tried one on my Squeezebox Touch and on a W4S Recovery, the result is very improved regarding à Teradak PSU.
So, I'm hesitating between Singxer F-1 and Dxio Pro3z in replacement of my Audiophilleo but are we sure these 2 USB interfaces doing their job better than an Audiophilleo (I own this interface with the battery modulation and this interface must be considered only with this option)?
For information, my source is composed with iPower->Touch->Curious Cable USB->W4S Recovery->Audiophilleo 2 with Battery modul.
Thx

I have tried the iFi iPower as well, having a 9VDC and 5VDC (in fact will be listing a 5VDC version today in the classifieds), and I found in comparison the TeraDaks much better in almost every way.  This is on the F-1, DXIO Pro3a, X-1, powering the Startech and FMC fiber units.

The iPower is still a SMPS so feeds noise back into the power lines - although I found it does sound better then a normal SMPS.

As for the Audiophilleo - I had one - see my rankings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back