XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jun 7, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #2,371 of 3,865
Yes just have JR upsample to 192k. That's what I do in Foobar/SoX. SQ is best this way. JR can upsample right. In fact, I can play DSD 256 and 384k DXD files as well, Foobar converts DSD to PCM, SoX to 192k. Sounds great. Way better then native 44k or 96k.

The Yggdrassil upsamples better than software though so its a problem.  A big percentage of the $2200 cost of the Yggy is for the propietary resample filter.  If I upsample to 192 using foobar or Jriver I completely bypass the filter and it sounds worse for it (believe me I have tried it). So its either set everything to 44.1 which is 90% of my music and downsample the 10% of my files from 192, 96 or 88 OR find some value in between like 88.2 OR set the sample rate in both Jriver and Rednet when I move between files with different sample rates. 

Since this is pro equipment I understand why it doesnt have passthrough, its just annoying.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #2,372 of 3,865
The Yggdrassil upsamples better than software though so its a problem.  A big percentage of the $2200 cost of the Yggy is for the propietary resample filter.  If I upsample to 192 using foobar or Jriver I completely bypass the filter and it sounds worse for it (believe me I have tried it). So its either set everything to 44.1 which is 90% of my music and downsample the 10% of my files from 192, 96 or 88 OR find some value in between like 88.2 OR set the sample rate in both Jriver and Rednet when I move between files with different sample rates. 

Since this is pro equipment I understand why it doesnt have passthrough, its just annoying.

My APL DAC upsamples everything to 211k. And feeding it 192k upsampled 44k files sounds way better. Anyway, if 44k is 90% of your music ( mine is about 80%), how often do you jump around sampling rates? It's just two clicks of the mouse.

BTW, the Yggie is upsampling, not filtering to192k. The higher res, pushes the digital noise further up the freq, and a softer ( versus brickwall) filter can be used. It digital filter should not change when presented 192k vs 44k source material.

You have to ask yourself, how important is the best SQ? You pd $800 more for the 16D over the 3, to me that could have gone for a Mutec 3+ to reclock spdif.
For me at least SQ is very important, and it's not like you have to switch players. Or buy Roon for $500.

My history is from analog, which took 10 mins to flip an album side on my VPI TT.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #2,373 of 3,865
My APL DAC upsamples everything to 211k. And feeding it 192k upsampled 44k files sounds way better. Anyway, if 44k is 90% of your music ( mine is about 80%), how often do you jump around sampling rates? It's just two clicks of the mouse.

You have to ask yourself, how important is the best SQ? You pd $800 more for the 16D over the 3, to me that could have gone for a Mutec 3+ to reclock spdif.
For me at least SQ is very important, and it's not like you have to switch players. Or buy Roon for $500.

My history is from analog, which took 10 mins to flip an album side on my VPI TT.

Its annoying because I run a headless server without a permanent monitor attached.  I paid for the D16 because I thought it had passthrough for my few 176 files and for its form factor.  The Mutec would not solve this problem.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #2,376 of 3,865
  Its just FYI for prospective buyers.  Like I said, it will be a deal breaker for many.  I'm still evaluating it and comparing it to my old set up- I've got 30 days.  We will see.

There's a setting in RedNet control for "SR Follow" - which from my understanding makes it follow the sample rate of the PC, but I haven't spent much time looking into it beyond that yet.

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #2,380 of 3,865

No Roon needs a Render because it's based on DNLA/UpNP.  AES67 Dante is completely different.  I'll post one of Alex's comments on DNLA/UpNP I posted on the AOIP thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806827/audio-over-ip-the-coming-wave-the-aes67-and-avb-ethernet-protocols-usher-in-a-new-age-of-computer-audio

DNLA/UpNP puts a lot of demands on the DAC/DDC hardware:

It will be hard to compare both easily - as Roon requires DNLA/UpNP render.  Does not work with the USB-like ASIO driver.  The AES67 Dante is NOT DNLA/UpNP - so will not run Roon - but will run every other open player.

So to compare the microRendu to the REDNET 3 or 16d - would require completely different players - and Roon COSTS $500.

With the utmost respect are you sure this is all correct? Roon isn't just DLNA/UPNP, it also uses it's own RAAT streaming protocol, and also supports direct non-ethernet connections. But that's not my point. You're looking at Roon as the server and needing a remote ethernet renderer, which while it is one way of doing things wasn't what I was suggesting could work.

Essentially you're looking at:

Roon Server/Core > Ethernet > Dante box as proposed renderer

and saying that won't work. Which of course is absolutely correct - it won't work.

But Roon can also work happily on a single machine operating as both server and renderer outputting to a direct connection, as is the case when you run Roon and simply output direct to a USB DAC. So the topology I am thinking is:

Roon Server/Core/Renderer on computer > Dante Virtual Soundcard (as an OS output just like any other such as USB) > Ethernet > Dante box

I don't see why that wouldn't work... In which case I don't see that it would be that hard to make a sonic comparison between:

1. Any player that MicroRendu supports (Roon, HQPlayer, etc) > Ethernet > MicroRendu > USB > DAC

and

2. Any player that MicroRendu supports (Roon, HQPlayer, etc) > Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS) > Ethernet > Rednet box > AES/SPDIF > DAC

Or am I missing something?

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #2,381 of 3,865
Its just FYI for prospective buyers.  Like I said, it will be a deal breaker for many.  I'm still evaluating it and comparing it to my old set up- I've got 30 days.  We will see.

This could be a deal breaker for me, unless it can be shown that upsampling to a single (or two at most to keep things in their proper family) is not degrading to the sound quality. Theoretically it shouldn't be of course, certainly not when done offline. Doing it online might give a lot of unwanted electrical noise from the CPU activity. I have never heard any benefits either though, but that's not the point in this case.

For pro-audio it is totally logical to manually set a single leading sample rate as a recording project is of course done with only one single rate which is known and set in advance.

This where differences show up between pro and consumer gear.

Again some extra tests to do if/when I get one.

Cheers

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #2,382 of 3,865
  Its annoying because I run a headless server without a permanent monitor attached.  I paid for the D16 because I thought it had passthrough for my few 176 files and for its form factor.  The Mutec would not solve this problem.

+1

I tend to jump between albums and tracks and also run headless, usually just using JRMC Remote on my iPhone to change music. Probably only 10% of my music is over 16/44. Hopefully setting JRMC to 192 with the D16 will still better the Mutec USB with rate switching. I shall soon find out.

Is there a way for me to use my Mutec USB with the D16 to circumvent this? Although even if there is I would be into this for $1500 + $1200. Not the end of the world for an endgame solution but still "Yikes". My plan was to sell off my USB game train!

I will remain optimistic and perhaps a workaround will emerge. Worst case it goes back and my Mutec still sounds pretty great :)

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #2,383 of 3,865

With the utmost respect are you sure this is all correct? Roon isn't just DLNA/UPNP, it also uses it's own RAAT streaming protocol, and also supports direct non-ethernet connections. But that's not my point. You're looking at Roon as the server and needing a remote ethernet renderer, which while it is one way of doing things wasn't what I was suggesting could work.

Essentially you're looking at:

Roon Server/Core > Ethernet > Dante box as proposed renderer

and saying that won't work. Which of course is absolutely correct - it won't work.

But Roon can also work happily on a single machine operating as both server and renderer outputting to a direct connection, as is the case when you run Roon and simply output direct to a USB DAC. So the topology I am thinking is:

Roon Server/Core/Renderer on computer > Dante Virtual Soundcard (as an OS output just like any other such as USB) > Ethernet > Dante box

I don't see why that wouldn't work... In which case I don't see that it would be that hard to make a sonic comparison between:

1. Any player that MicroRendu supports (Roon, HQPlayer, etc) > Ethernet > MicroRendu > USB > DAC

and

2. Any player that MicroRendu supports (Roon, HQPlayer, etc) > Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS) > Ethernet > Rednet box > AES/SPDIF > DAC

Or am I missing something?

Well I hope you are right!  That it's that easy to port Roon -RATT over to a USB like ASIO Dante DVS output.  That would just open up more player to the AES67 solution - forgoing USB.
But I'm pretty sure it won't.

If you go to the Roon 'Partners' page - has a fairly impressive list. On is TotalDAC and Auralic - but when you press the their links - it only works on their network players.  Take Auralic - Roon only works with their Aries network player - not with their USB DAC the Vega.

Same for TotalDAC.

Now I'm sure is a simple chain as you describe would work - the very smart folks at Auralic and TotalDAC would have figured out how and Roon would be promoting that.  There are many more Vega DACs out there then Aries NW players.

But maybe you are right - but I'm not spending $500 for it to try it.  Maybe someone else can?

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #2,384 of 3,865
This could be a deal breaker for me, unless it can be shown that upsampling to a single (or two at most to keep things in their proper family) is not degrading to the sound quality. Theoretically it shouldn't be of course, certainly not when done offline. Doing it online might give a lot of unwanted electrical noise from the CPU activity. I have never heard any benefits either though, but that's not the point in this case.

For pro-audio it is totally logical to manually set a single leading sample rate as a recording project is of course done with only one single rate which is known and set in advance.

This where differences show up between pro and consumer gear.

Again some extra tests to do if/when I get one.

Cheers

Well this is the beginning of a major computer audio revolution - there will be more 'consumer' devices coming down the road - DDC's and DAC's.  So if this a deal breaker for you  - so be it.  To me the SQ is superb - at 192k.

The REDNET's won't do 784k PCM native or DSD512 native - and no i2s - so I'm sure that will 'deal breakers' for many as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back