XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Apr 11, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #212 of 3,865
  LOOK!!!

another USB optimizer miracle in the making!

http://ideonaudio.com/3r-usb.html

Oh no another USB gizmo.

This sounds awfully familiar - exception better spelled:

REGENERATE and RECLOCING  via low-jitter clock with dedicate   ultra low noise suplly power .the result is incredibly improved sound !!

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #213 of 3,865
  Nope

Hmm, it doesn't have a dac inside.

One die (tile) with 8 cores is used for USB signal handling

AND

One die (tile) with 8 cores is used to handle digital audio processing, which means: conversion to SPDIF and I2S

XU216 has 2 die's (tiles) . or wafers, in one chip, and in total 16 cores - 8 per die (tile, wafer)

But I thought that is what the 1000MIPS XU208 USB did?  Is 1000MIPS not enough processing power?  Oh Wait this one will do 784kHz - but what's the point??
confused.gif

I suppose it can handle 1024 DSD 16X but again for what end? 

I would love to be able to buy new releases from popular artists at 24bit 96k - not some phony upsampled 16bit 44k ones - then be charged $24 for a $8 CD.

I have the excellent Steinberg WaveLas 6.0 - it has the ablility to make these upsampled files using it's 'Crystal upsamplers'  I can not tell any positive difference over upsampling on the fly using Foobar/SoX.  An a whole lot less HD space.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun06/articles/wavelab6.htm

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #214 of 3,865
Finally get my unit to work. What a relief.

owners who had bought the unit, pls get your copy of driver ready, even before the unit arrive. You need a password before you can even download.

my audio setup up. dual PC, audio PC in core mode. control PC windows 8. control PC direct link to audio pc using ethernet cable.

I was anxious on installing the driver as I had dual PC configuration. Silly that I try to switch GUI mode, but by running the driver (exe). its done. all I have to do is go to control PC and hit foobar2k. voila.music comes.

as usual, play my routine tracks 

TakeDake with Nepture - Korea Idea and Japan idea. the flute, bamboo knocks are so real. the flutter and breathing can be distinguished better. The soundstage and dynamics of the artists is better portrayed on stage.

Antoine Dufour and Tommy Gauthier - Mellow deep art - the picking and slaps on guitar is kicking live. Gauthier violin has better extension, especially can hear the micro detals of the violin.

Kojitamaki - wine red no kokoro - his mellow voice and image better focused on stage. the kind of song that can melody one to sleep and dream. the voice and music sound more coherance with F-1.

Dire Straits - Money for nothing & six blade knife. play this at earth shattering level and get the feel how mark knopfler push his electric acoustics to limitsand kick drums are beating with rhythm as if pushing me back and forth with the beats.

well this is impressions cool out of box. more to come. 

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #215 of 3,865
  Finally get my unit to work. What a relief.

owners who had bought the unit, pls get your copy of driver ready, even before the unit arrive. You need a password before you can even download.

my audio setup up. dual PC, audio PC in core mode. control PC windows 8. control PC direct link to audio pc using ethernet cable.

I was anxious on installing the driver as I had dual PC configuration. Silly that I try to switch GUI mode, but by running the driver (exe). its done. all I have to do is go to control PC and hit foobar2k. voila.music comes.

as usual, play my routine tracks 

TakeDake with Nepture - Korea Idea and Japan idea. the flute, bamboo knocks are so real. the flutter and breathing can be distinguished better. The soundstage and dynamics of the artists is better portrayed on stage.

Antoine Dufour and Tommy Gauthier - Mellow deep art - the picking and slaps on guitar is kicking live. Gauthier violin has better extension, especially can hear the micro detals of the violin.

Kojitamaki - wine red no kokoro - his mellow voice and image better focused on stage. the kind of song that can melody one to sleep and dream. the voice and music sound more coherance with F-1.

Dire Straits - Money for nothing & six blade knife. play this at earth shattering level and get the feel how mark knopfler push his electric acoustics to limitsand kick drums are beating with rhythm as if pushing me back and forth with the beats.

well this is impressions cool out of box. more to come. 

Nice review!  You had the DXIO Pro3a to compare?

Of course will improve with burnin.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #216 of 3,865
The final piece of the puzzle arrived today the Curious Audio Cable 200mm Regen USB link.
It was weird - just replacing the Regen hard adapter - the PC would not recognize the F-1 (through the W4S Recovery).

When ever this happens just unistall the XMOS drivers - reboot - reinstall.  This worked.  But funny how just a USB cable required a driver reinstall.

The sound significantly improved further!  Wow what space and imaging!

Highly recommended.  Here is my data chain now:

PC WIN10 iCore7>PPAV2 (iPower)>Jitterbug (modded to Vbus and ground blocker)>LH Labs 2G split USB cable(data only leg)>Recovery (fed by Teradak DC-30W/DC iPur)>Curious 200mm USB link>iPurifier2>F-1

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #217 of 3,865
You guys keep talking about getting the driver ready. I am also dual pc setup with i5 laptop Win 10 music server running HQplayer, and another Intel NUC running NAA streamer setup with fiber optic connection under Linux OS. So I have ordered F-1 from ebay and where should I get the driver?

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #218 of 3,865
  You guys keep talking about getting the driver ready. I am also dual pc setup with i5 laptop Win 10 music server running HQplayer, and another Intel NUC running NAA streamer setup with fiber optic connection under Linux OS. So I have ordered F-1 from ebay and where should I get the driver?

Here is the link from the Taobao seller's ad:

https://pan.baidu.com/s/1jHiIIzk

You just need the password from the seller.  I use Google Chrome to do the automatic translation.

If you bought off Ebay - just ask that seller for the link and password.

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #219 of 3,865

Here is the link from the Taobao seller's ad:

https://pan.baidu.com/s/1jHiIIzk

You just need the password from the seller.  I use Google Chrome to do the automatic translation.

If you bought off Ebay - just ask that seller for the link and password.

I mailed freechoppingchina and within 5 minutes I got a working password.
Nice service.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #221 of 3,865
  Got the Intona today but really haven´t time to try it out for a couple of day´s.
The F1 is not sent yet from China, it´s still pending.

you sure already got many super device like intona and the f1.
if the sound of your dac is not hear higher grade then before, (sorry, but ithink you should upgrade your dac to a higher grade)

the intona plus f1 is super freaking combo already

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #223 of 3,865

you sure already got many super device like intona and the f1.
if the sound of your dac is not hear higher grade then before, (sorry, but ithink you should upgrade your dac to a higher grade)

the intona plus f1 is super freaking combo already

Actually I have not many super devices but a LOT of other things to worry about right now :)
I guess I will have time in a couple of day´s to try out the Intona and then wait for the F1 to arrive.

I am pretty sure the Intona/F1 combo will be nice, just have to wait and see.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #224 of 3,865
Review Update F-1:

OK well past 200 hrs and the SQ has evened out on my F-1, at an extrodinarly high level.  Everything I said before...Now even greater air, transparency and vibrancy with the Curious 200mm USB link between the Recovery and iPurifier2.

There should be a whole host of folks getting theirs soon - so what to look for:  Straight out of the box (mylar envelope) very detailed, deeper bass, clarity and focused sound staging.  Excellent tone as well - but that will get better with burnin.  Any slight edge or graininess (depends on album) will be gone at 100hrs - by 200hrs just creamy smooth and musical.  You are all in for a real audio treat.  As I said before to get the most out of the F-1 will require better power then the PC USB can provide and data/ground cleaning.

I think I'm going to just sit back and enjoy this for a while - many albums to re-listen to through this new 'lens'.  Virtually every one with new details revealed.

Just great.

Once the additional boards arrive will be begin the modding - 1st will be the simple RCA SPDIF upgrade.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #225 of 3,865
A little OT but illustrates what one of the top DAC designers deem important:

The totl new R2R Total DAC six d1 tube - $15,000 of DAC greatness!! No i2s, no DSD.  So if the one of best DAC designers, whose attention to detail is possibly unrivaled (300 precision matched .01% Vishay individual resistors for the DAC ladder), deems i2s not important fro the best sound quality, nor DSD, well...how could i argue?

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/totaldac3/1.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back