XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
May 31, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,071 of 3,865

That would be better - but for me if 100Mb/s gets the two channel job done I'n fine with that.  In fact how many of us would even have any LAN switch in between?  Do we need GB for direct 2 channel hi res audio?

Just want to ditch USB!

But I'm sure an Ultimo II is in the works AVB complaint.

Well OK than, I wouldn't be running it over a switch but I would need to buy an additional Ethernet-card for the second ethernet port (the first one would be connected to the switch and the rest of the network).

But ask them to consider true and proper KS-drivers. I appreciate them more than ASIO.

May 31, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #2,072 of 3,865
  @rb
If you could be so kind and compare these simplified setups:
PC->regular USB port(no PPA)>split usb cable(LH or Forza) with Teradak DC30W and DC iPurifier>F1
vs.
PC->regular USB port(no PPA)>split usb cable(LH or Forza) with possibly Teradak DC30W and DC iPurifier (I don't know if Mutec needs 5v) >Mutec

I had a chance to compare these last night -

Well honestly the PPA makes a very small difference (now when using it to route clean +5VDC LPS power to the LEX - of the Startech another story - and of course that could be accomplished with a split USB cable directly to a TeraDak X1).

Yes the Mutec needs to 'see' 5VDC on the usb  - but runs on AC.  It was a nice upgrade over the F-1 (no need for the TeraDAK or DC iPur).  In this case using both power and data legs of the 2G into the PC USB ports.  (I know this is not recommended or optimal - but it was what was requested).

But still far from the uber chain with the F-1.

May 31, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #2,073 of 3,865
  Well OK than, I wouldn't be running it over a switch but I would need to buy an additional Ethernet-card for the second ethernet port (the first one would be connected to the switch and the rest of the network).

But ask them to consider true and proper KS-drivers. I appreciate them more than ASIO.

Well KS is not going to happen - the DANTE s/w just tricks the player software/PC into thinking it's a USB like ASIO. 

All ASIO means is 'Audio Stream Input Output'  - now the Theyscon XMOS ASIO's are all a bit different.  As were the Hi-Face and Amerno.

Interesting my JPlay 6.2 uses KS then presents as ASIO to the player - which is it?

With these AOIP - it's such a seachange - we have to force our USB thinking to change.  The same rules don't apply.

I better support this - before Alex 'corrects' me with some weird hybrid modification of the std done in some dank audio engineer's basement and then sold on line...just kidding bro'
tongue.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output
Audio Stream Input/Output (ASIO) is a computer sound card driver protocol for digital audio specified bySteinberg, providing a low-latency and high fidelity interface between a software application and a computer'ssound card. Whereas Microsoft's DirectSound is commonly used as an intermediary signal path for non-professional users, ASIO allows musicians and sound engineers to access external hardware directly. 

May 31, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #2,075 of 3,865
But jabbr - your wish for DANTE Ultimo GB compatiblity - has already come true:

https://www.audinate.com/about/news-activity/press/audinate-announces-new-capabilities-dante-ultimo-chipsets

Audinate Announces New Capabilities for Dante Ultimo Chipsets:

Audinate, the market leader in digital media networking for the A/V, conferencing, public address, and broadcast industries, today announced new enhancements to the Dante Ultimo low-channel chipsets, now shipping.
The new revision of Dante Ultimo incorporates support for Marvell 88E6320 gigabit switch, enabling robust daisy chaining of Dante devices with multicast filtering capability.
Audinate has also released new Ultimo 2.1 firmware, adding several new features for Audio Video (AV) equipment manufacturers building low channel-count products with Dante Ultimo. The new Release 2.1 firmware adds device control capabilities enabled by the Dante Device Protocol (DDP). DDP allows Ultimo messages and commands to be sent via SPI/UART from the host processor, accessing parameters such as channel subscriptions, clock status and more. DDP is ideal for integration of routing pre-sets and front panel displays in Ultimo products. Additionally, Ultimo now supports 16-, 24- and 32-bit PCM audio, selected globally or per-channel as needed.

May 31, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #2,079 of 3,865
Damn folks we are getting so close!

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=61110.0

Hey, i'm long time DIY'er from Lithuania.
after release of Audinate Brooklyn cards, it's getting quite easy to implement DANTE interface in any audio project (for a half hundred dollars /pcs.) I think it's a future, and USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt interfaces will be obsolete in the future. Meanwhile, network based audio getting more and more popular in Live and Broadcast business.

So it looks like the Brooklyn II DANTE card is $50 - in quantity.

May 31, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,081 of 3,865

Interesting my JPlay 6.2 uses KS then presents as ASIO to the player - which is it?

JPlay Engine uses KS to communicate with the sound device. The use of ASIO to communicate with the JPlay engine was 'forced upon them' by the harrasment campaign by JRiver.

May 31, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,082 of 3,865
Oh dang - I just found this including a DANTE Brooklyn II SPDIF function:

www.eecs.ucf.edu/.../SD13_Critical_Design_Review.ppt​

They estimate the DANTE Brooklyn II card at $125 each  and the use of a TI DIX9211 (these are $9 to $4 in quanity) to mate the Brooklyn II to do SPDIF out.

That does not seem like unreasonable costs - for the full BK II DANTE implementation.

May 31, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #2,084 of 3,865

Users who are viewing this thread

Back