XM5 dead and Practical Devices woes
Jul 6, 2010 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

clarinetman

500+ Head-Fier
Just a few minutes ago, I was using the DAC on my Practical Devices XM5 (as I normally do for computer audio), when suddenly it stopped working. First, it cut out a couple of times, and then it just stopped working altogether. I tried turning it on/off, listening through my DAP, and then eventually I had to take it apart to see if any of the chips were loose. Unfortunately, none of them were, so at this point I'm thinking it's time for a new amp. Any idea how to fix this? I was planning on getting the Arrow soon anyway, but I may as well not pay more than I have to at this point...

On another subject, I've had a lot of issues with my XM5 and Practical Devices, in spite of the generally good reputation both of them have had. Several months ago, there was an issue with the volume pot--when I adjusted the volume, channels would cut out with a lot of static crackle... When I contacted PD initially, James was very polite and amicable, and he was more than happy to repair my amp for free. Going by the rule of getting what one pays for, this process took almost two months. I contacted him several more times to check up on the status of the repair, with usually very little to no response. Eventually I lost my patience and tried to settle it using PayPal... It was only after then that he replied, saying that he would issue me a new amp, which also took quite a long time for it to arrive to my door.

A few months after it's arrival, I discovered that PD had not put in the buffer chips ($36USD) in the new amp that I had ordered instead of the default busbars with my original amp, and that my initial problem with the volume pot had re-occured. Nevertheless, given PD's poor customer support, WAY slow return times, and quality issues, I suppose I'm not surprised.

-1 for Practical Devices.

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 3
Clarinetman, I am noticing problems with my XM5 as well. When using it as an amp with my Denon AH-D2000s I get no sound out of the left ear unless I turn it up very loud. I also get static when turning it up/down. When I use it as a dac with my Shures I just get a little static when I turn the volume up/down, but both ears work. Is this similar to what you experienced? How is your amp acting now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back