XLR's - Split from iPodPJ's B22 thread
Nov 2, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #16 of 37

They are best quality connector that I’ve ever seen - like anything in this dam hobbie, you like it or you don’t it’s a matter of personal preference. Consider the laughs from people not associated with this industry at the money spent on high end amplifiers and headphones. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I have my flame gun ready...
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah.

It's kind of like Monster Truck rallies, the 1970's "spec wars" and Billy Mays all rolled into one.
atsmile.gif

And what's with this?

the pins are turned from solid billet 99.94% HC-OFC*** Copper Alloy 110 ( Pure Copper )

C110 alloy isn't an oxygen free, high conductivity copper.

C110 is just your basic, garden variety oxygenated ETP (Electrolytic Tough Pitch) copper.

C101 is oxygen free, high conductivity copper. And in order to meet C101 specs, its purity has to be a minimum of 99.99%, not 99.94%.

It looks like these guys are trying to pass off regular ETP copper as oxygen free high conductivity copper.

Not that it really matters unless you're going to be heating your XLRs in a hydrogen atmosphere, but you don't sell oxygenated ETP copper and tell your customer's it's oxygen free.

And check this out. A set of two male and two female XLRs sell for $425. However the same set with fine silver pins sells for $2,618.15!?!?!?

What the ****?

A few dollar's worth of silver jacks the price up by OVER TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!?

se

Yay, nitpicking! Any copper alloy between 101 & 110 is an oxygen-free (to a minimum of 99.9x percent purity) high conductivity (>100% IACS) copper. So at least the technical details are correct. That said, I can't see the necessity of exceeding the IACS spec. ETI even brags about using tellurium copper which rings in at under 90%, yet their products are apparently good enough for audiophile-grade installations.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay, nitpicking! Any copper alloy between 101 & 110 is an oxygen-free (to a minimum of 99.9x percent purity) high conductivity (>100% IACS) copper.

No, they're not.

110 ETP is an oxygenated copper. Usually around 0.04%. The oxygenation is intentional and its purpose is to scavenge impurities and take them out of suspension where they would otherwise result in a lower conductivity. This is how 110 ETP is able to achieve 101% IACS.

110 ETP is not considered an oxygen free copper and can't be used in reducing atmospheres without risk of hydrogen embrittlement. That's what 101 is for with it's typical 0.0005% oxygen content.

Quote:

So at least the technical details are correct.

No, they're not.

Quote:

That said, I can't see the necessity of exceeding the IACS spec. ETI even brags about using tellurium copper which rings in at under 90%, yet their products are apparently good enough for audiophile-grade installations.

I'm sure they use tellurium copper because it machines far better than pure copper while still retaining a high conductivity.

But when you're talking about something like an XLR pin, I don't really see that the conductivity of the material really counts for much, when compared to the various brass and bronze alloys also used for contact materials.

I mean, the difference in resistance between a pure copper XLR pin and a brass XLR pin would be pretty well swamped by the contact resistance.

se

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #19 of 37
*checks online*
Ah, I mistakenly thought that copper purity dictated oxygen concentration, forgot about the myriad of other possible contaminants in the mix
redface.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*checks online*
Ah, I mistakenly thought that copper purity dictated oxygen concentration, forgot about the myriad of other possible contaminants in the mix
redface.gif

atsmile.gif

se

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #24 of 37
Part of Bocchino's cost is that the alloy they're using is very difficult to machine. That being said, on the silver ones, they seem to be making a lot of money. Silver is not that expensive.

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Part of Bocchino's cost is that the alloy they're using is very difficult to machine.

Yes, pure copper machines rather poorly and requires better lubrication and a bit more machine time.

Quote:

That being said, on the silver ones, they seem to be making a lot of money. Silver is not that expensive.

Nope, it's not. It's around $16 an ounce. And it machines better than copper. Again, asking for an additional $2,000 for silver pins is nothing but pure contempt.

se

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #26 of 37
edited, cant be bothered buying into the baiting game. the fact you started this thread shows exactly what type of guy you are.

neutrik = BAXLR = lol

I use them (Neutrik) where appropriate, which is not uncommon. but this post replying to john shows just exactly what your purpose was, ie. to start a fight, as per usual and you were disappointed when you didnt get one, so you arent getting one now either.

Nov 3, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #28 of 37
no problem. man, no offense taken

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
show me another one that's body IS the dielectric...

You don't generally see plastic bodied XLRs because the body is typically used as an extension of the chassis in order to provide shielding.

Quote:

...but these are MUCH smaller run than any of those connectors, from a small company, using expensive materials and processes (ie CNC) thus the price difference.

CNC isn't an expensive process.

Manual machining is an expensive process.

Quote:

all I said initially was to match the materials in the cable and the format of the cable ie 2 separate copper cables; 2 separate copper connectors (on my dac), 2 separate copper XLRs...makes sense really, well it does to me anyway.

That's fine from a purely philosophical standpoint.

Quote:

and all I said about neutrik was that I had a bad experience recently that put me off them, which of course he would not accept because he is the 4 pin champion

What you said was "the plating is crappy and thin, the silver corrodes down to the underneath on the silver versions sometimes before you even receive them."

By all accounts, it wasn't crappy plating that was corroded down to the base metal but was was some simple tarnishing which could just as well have happened with anything else that used silver pins.

Quote:

well actually its not just for silver pins, generally the only ones I have seen with silver pins were machined out of solid PEEK as well

Well, their pricing doesn't indicate that the silver pin version is made from PEEK. But even at that, a 1" x 3" PEEK rod from McMaster Carr is $25. So how does that and a few dollars worth of silver add over $2,000 to the price?

Quote:

again, you simply dont seem to get this stuff of accumulative measures, that is avoiding one problem when you can, your process really doesnt bode that well for a good result if you keep on ignoring little problems because there is another one to distract you.

I get it just fine. I'm just not singularly obsessed with it to the point of being neurotic. I prefer to take a step or two back and look at things in context and assess what they amount to at the end of the day.

You're worried about the difference in resistance between an XLR pin made of copper and an XLR pin made of brass.

Ok.

So tell me, what gauge wire are you using in the cables that you're using the BAXLR's to terminate?

Quote:

not big enough for the Japanese audiophiles

Well, Japanese audiophiles also stuff refrigerator size horn speakers into small apartments too so I guess I'm not surprised.
atsmile.gif

Quote:

have you actually ever seen a furutech??

Yes. And the BAXLR's don't appear to be much larger than the Furutech.

Quote:

i'm not privy to the costs, but there is more to it than silver pins.

for example, if you were to commission a jeweler of note to make 4 of these for you (which is in effect what you are doing, pretty much), you are commissioning an artisan to make functional art, I think it would cost you much more.

Oh sure, if you go to the House of Faberge and say "Make me an XLR" they'd cost you plenty.

But that's just fantasy. If you want jewelry, just buy the Neutrik CrystalCONs with the Swarovski crystals in them.

What you're doing here is going to a machinist and commissioning them to program their machining center to spit out the parts you've drawn up for them.

se

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #30 of 37
Can you please explain the point of this thread?? You are a sad man, I edited the post because I did not want to carry on this argument. But yet you dredge it up and post it anyway. Your behaviour is innappropriate for a regular member, let alone an mot. The way I see it, you made a fool And a prick of yourself in the other thread and felt like a fight, which seems to be how you get your e-peen; true to form for you. I simply do not know how you continue to be able to break te rules on a daily basis, belittling anyone you can under the guise of setting things straight. I gave an opinionyou did mot like, poor you. You have not seen either the furutech or baxlr if you think they are even remotely similar in size. The moon looks smaller than my hand from here as well.

Anyway I've had enough, get a life, make a real product that exists instead of putting others down to make yourself feel better. And try being a human being for once, what you did to ipodpj is appauling. I get the feeling he has invested more than money in this amp and you Say you couldn't give a toss, nice attitude.

Reported

Users who are viewing this thread

Back