XLR to RCA cable problems
Jun 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

analogue 3

100+ Head-Fier
Due to lack of quality XLR to RCA cables I took the advice a while back for my DACMagic (XLR out) to Little Dot amp (RCA in) and got an atlas RCA to RCA cable made into a custom cable which is XLR to RCA at my local audio store (also picked up an identical unmodified RCA cable to connect DAC with amp/sub).

I've increasingly noticed a humming/noise when the headphone amp is on with nothing playing. It's a higher pitched hum rather than a low pitched hum if that makes sense. Checked using RCA to RCA from DAC to headphone amp and the noise is gone so it should be the XLR to RCA cable, unless someone thinks the XLR socket itself could cause this?. I had a check of the DACMagic thread and can't see anyone else having the same issue with the XLR socket.

Could this perhaps be due to the cable being made incorrectly and would the store be able to fix it? I paid £50 for the cable+labour so am reluctant to purchase a new one. If anyone has some technical insight into what could be causing this in an XLR to RCA custom job (made from an Atlas RCA to RCA cable), please could you advise to help with when I get in touch with the store? The RCA to RCA cable is the exact same atlas cable model, just longer and unmodified. Shielding with this particular Atlas series should in general be fine from what I can tell. The RCA to RCA cable is connecting my DAC to my Sub/amp box and is passing round various electronic devices and cables and there's no noise.

Many thanks

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 3
Ok thanks for the suggestion. I managed to open both XLR plugs and pin 1 is already disconnected on both cables. Any other thoughts?

Btw, I was reading some random threads on DIY forums and I saw something about how pin 1 is usually the shield wire. Should they have made the cable with a 'shield wire' going to pin 1 to prevent electronic interference (possibly the high pitched humming)?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back