XLR on port amp?
May 4, 2008 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

L_and_P21

New Head-Fier
i am wondering if anyone has seen a portable amp made with xlr's? or would it be possible to mod, lets say, the mini to have xlr in and out? if it is possible would it be better to go on connection or two? looking to go balanced.

im only asking so i dont have to have any adapters for my cans when i go from a desk amp to port amp.

May 4, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 9
you would need a source with a balanced out. at the moment (afaik) there are no reasonably portable ones.

the user doboloo made a portable amp with single ended inputs and balanced outputs. it used 1/8" trs jacks though. the nice thing with his design was that one jack was BOTH chanels in phase, the other both chanels out of phase, so it would still work for the inferior single ended camp. yes, im mocking the balanced superiority camp.

2-3-pin xlr jacks will fit well on a smallish hammond (there os one thats like 4X4X1.3inch) and this could easily be constructed with a phase splitter to drive a palnaced headphone.

and obviously, 1 4-pin will fit anywhere that a locking neutrik jack fits as they have the same footprint.

May 4, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 9
Switchcraft makes some mini XLRs. TA-4F and TA-4M, IIRC.

If your desk amps use 4-pin mini XLRs, it's fine. Full sized XLR connecters are really big and not something to put on a portable, especially if you're one that uses 2 3-pin XLRs. An adapter is your best bet in that case.

May 4, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the nice thing with his design was that one jack was BOTH chanels in phase, the other both chanels out of phase, so it would still work for the inferior single ended camp.

That is nice.

Yep, BTL would work. I'm not sure what the advantage would be over a SE to balanced adapter.

But, if you're able to squeeze in a transformer on the input, like the Jensen, then maybe. haha.

May 4, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 9
im thinking the 3pin xhadow's. one on a LOD in to the amp and then one out onto recabled k701's. does a one xlr balanced connection sound as good as 2 xlr connections?

May 4, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by L_and_P21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im thinking the 3pin xhadow's. one on a LOD in to the amp and then one out onto recabled k701's. does a one xlr balanced connection sound as good as 2 xlr connections?

You can't do balanced L-R with a single 3-pin connector... it requires L+, L-, R+ and R-. Also, you would need 2 amps (4 channels) for balanced as well.

why xhadows?

May 4, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But, if you're able to squeeze in a transformer on the input, like the Jensen, then maybe. haha.

there are a couple purpose-built phase-splitter chips. drv-134 (i think).

I prefer transformers to ANOTHER active stage for reasons of distortion and power consumption, im not sure if they would fit in the case though. there are some nice 10k ohm phase splitting transformers for CHEAP. the line out on most portables should drive 10k ohm no problem.

May 6, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 9
Anyone experiment with a Zoom H4? I was at a little harprischord+ concert in my neighborhood last night and a friend of the performers was recording with one of these. I of course wondered about it as a portable source. It has balanced inputs....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back