XLR Interconnects
Jun 20, 2022 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

grigio

New Head-Fier
Good morning!

As posted elsewhere my current system:

Pioneer PD70AE+Moon Audio Black Dragon XLR Interconnects+Musical Fidelity MX-HPA+ Focal Utopia also with Moon Audio Black Dragon cables. The Black Dragons were a very sonically noticeable and welcome upgrade to this system.

This setup is being "upgraded" to:
Marantz SA10 + Mjölnir Carbon + Stax SR-X9000.
I will also be using Filter: Isotek Evo 3 Sirius and Power Cables: Isotek Evo 3 Premier.

Question: would the Moon Audio Silver Dragon XLR Rhodium Furutech interconnect be the interconnect of choice? It is a bit of hassle getting these over to Europe but the Black Dragons with the Utopias were a revelation.
Or any other good interconnects for thiese components?

1655723004677.png

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 16
Those are cheap, I use aq fire but your at 3 g or more

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 16
I'd recommend checking for measurements like they do at ASR for cables. The cheapest ones measure just as transparent as the expensive ones. I've bought and sold gear for years and had a chance to try tons of different brands. In a blind test I can never tell the difference if they aren't defective.
You do get better quality control, less chance of getting a dud, and more durability if you hook them up frequently like on the road. A blind test with a budget pair is really easy to do. The placebo effect is really powerful with audio gear and you pay sky high prices and expect it to sound better.
I use Monoprice premier cables ordered direct from them. Amazon usually has the junk from their Vietnam factory, direct from them has the Chinese factory stuff with much better quality control.

Jun 21, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 16
Thanks guys. Interesting views.
If the quality/type of interconnect is not in reality that important to overall sound then I guess many companies are making a living on selling snake oil.
In my case the headphone black dragon cable swap with the Focals made a huge difference and I was myself unsure if the XLR interconnects which I also took from Moon Audio played any role in this improvement in sound quality I experienced.
Having said that the new system is going to cost me around 22 grand ( Euros!!) so maybe the extra 700 Euros on top for the "really good" interconnects versus good quality no name versions is worth it for my peace of mind.
I see Mjölnir also sell XLR interconnects for Carbon CC and Carbon.
1655802538178.png

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks guys. Interesting views.
If the quality/type of interconnect is not in reality that important to overall sound then I guess many companies are making a living on selling snake oil.
In my case the headphone black dragon cable swap with the Focals made a huge difference and I was myself unsure if the XLR interconnects which I also took from Moon Audio played any role in this improvement in sound quality I experienced.
Having said that the new system is going to cost me around 22 grand ( Euros!!) so maybe the extra 700 Euros on top for the "really good" interconnects versus good quality no name versions is worth it for my peace of mind.
I see Mjölnir also sell XLR interconnects for Carbon CC and Carbon.
I prefer silver cables myself but since you use the Utopia that could make the higher frequencies overbearing as its going to accentuate the higher frequencies.

There are a multitude of choices at that price range so its ultimately up to what you like and what makes sense to you. You might get more responses if you narrow down your choices and ask about those.

I would recommend doing your own research and ignore those people who pray to the cult of the "squiggly lines". Let them worship their messiah that "reviews" audio equipment without ever using his ears. You have experienced more so no need for a veteran to ask a draft pick how to improve his game.

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 16
Without getting into the "cable debate" and simply suggesting some well regarded cable companies, you could check out the ones below

-Synergistic Research
-Cardas
-Audience
-JPS Labs
-Tara Labs
-Siltech
-High Fidelity Cables
-Kimber Kable

Obviously, there are many others. Those are just some that came to mind.

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 16
Also, Danacables. I have their Diamond reference XLR cable and I love it.

Jun 22, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 16
Cable brands I've personally owned or listened to that made stark improvements:

Chord Co
Atlas Audio
Nordost
Shunyata
Curious Cable
Tellurium Q

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #10 of 16
As I cannot really audition the interconnect candidates with my particular combo Marantz SA10-Mjölnir Carbon-Stax SR X9000 it is going to have to be a leap of faith.
However a final question probably to Stax SR-X9000 owners:
Are the high frequencies neutrally presented?
I am thinking only of this generalisation that silver cables tend to emphasize higher frequencies.
BTW. Shipping and all duties on the Moon Audio would be around 75 Euros.

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 16
Those are cheap, I use aq fire but your at 3 g or more
Fellow Fiyah user here as well, I bought the tier below it, they did not have it in stock and gave me an upgrade for just a little more.

Jun 25, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #12 of 16
So a decision has been made: the interconnects will be these: Matrix Black from perkune.com
https://perkune.com/matrix-black-xlr-interconnect-cable/
What do you think?

Paul is offering me quite a reasonable discount a a new customer.
He has received alot of positive feedback from customers.
I may even consider his power cables for sometime in the future.

1656180751966.png

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 16
So a decision has been made: the interconnects will be these: Matrix Black from perkune.com
https://perkune.com/matrix-black-xlr-interconnect-cable/
What do you think?

Paul is offering me quite a reasonable discount a a new customer.
He has received alot of positive feedback from customers.
I may even consider his power cables for sometime in the future.

1656180751966.png
It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on how they sound.

I have not seen any reviews on them on this forum.

Jun 25, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 16
I can tell RCA (SE) apart - esp in rooms with lots of rock or concrete but I can't tell the difference between XLR - except that they are all better than SE. Except to hook up my tuner and BHC amp I would never use SE unless there is no choice - like those.

Sep 12, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #15 of 16
So the problem of the long leadtime on the Stax SR-X9000 has resulted in the:
a) Mjölnir Carbon Amp becoming a Mjölnir Carbon CC Amp
b) Isotek Sirius becoming Isotek Aquarius V5
c) Standard Power Cables have become Perkune Black Matrix like the Black Matrix Interconnects
all unfortunately with a corresponding hike in outlay.
Just hope it all gels!

Anyone in the meantime familiar with the cables?

Marantz SA10 SACD Player/External HiRes Player is staying though.

Assuming the SR-X9000s arrive one day I will report back on the sound

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back