XLR Connectors - where to get them?
Dec 17, 2008 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Dept_of_Alchemy

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, I'm new to the DIY cables scene so please be nice.
beerchug.gif

I'm interested in learning how to terminate headphones with balanced connectors (both 3-pin and 4-pin). I think I have figured out 'how' to do the job thanks to this great forum but I need some help in choosing which connectors to get. What are the choices for both 3 and 4 pin XLR connectors? I've heard about Neutrik and Furutech connectors but I don't know where is the best place to buy them, are there any other alternatives besides these two brands? Also physically speaking which plug is easier to work with for someone who's just starting like myself?

Lastly since I'm new to the scene I want to leave this question a bit open-ended and would appreciate any advice on re-terminating headphone cables to balanced mode in general, so if there is anything I should watch out for I would love to learn it from you guys instead of learning it the hard way and letting the magic smoke out.
wink.gif

- DoA

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #2 of 16
You can find a good selection of Neutrik products at Redco:

Redco Audio

I've been loyal to Neutrik - never had a problem with any of their stuff. A good friend of mine is in a band. They gig once or twice a week and drag their stuff in and out of bars and their practice room. They also swear by Neutrik, since it holds up to abuse.

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 16
Many vendors carry the Neutrik XLR plugs, such as parts-express, markertek, mouser, redco, etc...

Furutech, Vampire, Xhadow(Vampire line iirc), DH Labs, Viablue, and Fiche are other company/lines/brands I can remember that make XLR plugs.
You have to go to more audiophile-targeted stores to find these, such as takefiveaudio, parts connexion, michael percy's, audiophonics, etc

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 16
Team 4-pin FTW. 4-pin male on the ends of everything. If you build your own amps it is SOOOOO convenient, and the connectors dont jingle & knock together when you unplug...

Build a 6-inch (or whatever length you like) 4-pin female to 2X3-pin male and a 4-pin male to 1/4" TRS. This will cover you for almost any headphone amp known to man. If you want to plug your headphones into the back of a source with volume control & low output impedance (a bunch of DAC's, and some other stuff too), a 4-pin female to 2X3-pin female rounds out the mix. If you happen upon a headphone amp with some other funky connector (some studio gear has DIN connectors or used 2X1/4"TRS for headphone out, What?), it is not too hard to build an adapter for that too.

The only downside to the single 4-pin (imo) is that it is not the "absolute" standard, and reselling to someone with a commercial amp can be a bit of a bear. Prepare to build a couple adapters if you sell the cans. With practice they can be put together pretty quickly.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 16
Not sure where to get them outside the UK but i noticed QED did some nice XLRs. Bit pricey maybe, but also possibly worth it.

pxlrmf.jpg

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 16
I'm not convinced there's any reason to go higher than Neutrik or Switchcraft, which are available from Mouser and Digikey respectively. Less expensive alternatives are available, but you get what you pay for. Neutrik/Switchcraft stuff feels solidly built and isn't too expensive. Going higher you're paying for bling, and going lower you get cheap feeling stuff.

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 16
Sonic Craft has Furutech and Vampire for not a whole lot more than the Neutriks, if you have to ship anyway... and, a 20% off sale. That said, I use all 3 (Neutrik, Vampire, and Furutech), depending on mood.

Agreed, you get what you pay for, and less than Neutrik / Switchcraft is a waste.

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Team 4-pin FTW. 4-pin male on the ends of everything. If you build your own amps it is SOOOOO convenient, and the connectors dont jingle & knock together when you unplug...

love the 4-pin too for headphone re-cable. we need to start a movement to usurp the klugey 3-pin standard that was set by Headroom.

i'm partial to Switchcraft - i like the screw-set cable strain relief vs. the compression twist of Neutrik, and they're made here in the US. either way, you can't go wrong.

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #9 of 16
Alright, I'm sold on the Neutrik plugs. What is the best place to get them for the best price? Also I'm in need of some heat shrink, any advice on which ones to get?

Thanks a lot you guys are great!

- DoA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back