XLR Balanced DAC for $1300
Jun 7, 2009 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

rosgr63

Headphoneus Supremus
Any recommendations for a XLR Balanced USB DAC around $1300?
I have in mind the Headroom Ultra Desktop, AQVOX USB 2 D/A MKII and the Benchmark DAC1 USB but haven't used any of them.
Thanks

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 19
I decided to spring for the new HR Ultra DAC (after reading several very favorable comments about it here) -- just ordered it a few days ago along with the HR Balanced Ultra Desktop amp, so I can't comment yet on my personal experience with it. I do currently own a DAC1, which is very good too, although it's really not better than the "max" DAC in my Headroom "Max" DAC/Amp which is the older version of the current Ultra Desktop DAC/Amp (not to be confused with the new Ultra DAC ).

One poster over in Source Forum pointed out that the Ultra DAC only does 44.1/16 via USB and not 24/96 like the DAC1-USB. For me this is a non-issue since I'm using a regular CD transport with coax output, but I suppose it could matter if you're planning to use a computer source (don't know enough about these things to comment further -- the DAC1-USB manual makes a big issue of the importance of doing 24/96 through USB).

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 19
I believe the 24/96 has to do with the up sampling.I understand there are not many devices which output 24 bits.My Beresford TC-7520 is 24Bit/96KHz and is much cheaper than the Headroom DAC.

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rockhopper Buffalo

This could be interesting as well, Thrice does wonderful builds.

Unfortunately, this wonderful dac is no longer available. I'd borrowed it from Stephen for canjam, and then found a buyer for him after. It WAS a steal for the advertised price...

Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith
One poster over in Source Forum pointed out that the Ultra DAC only does 44.1/16 via USB and not 24/96 like the DAC1-USB. For me this is a non-issue since I'm using a regular CD transport with coax output, but I suppose it could matter if you're planning to use a computer source (don't know enough about these things to comment further -- the DAC1-USB manual makes a big issue of the importance of doing 24/96 through USB).

I think this problem is overstated. There is a tiny quantity of music that can be sent out digitally at 24/96 from any source, and there are many factors that make more of a difference in terms of how things sound. I'd take the ultra dac over the benchmark even given the "limitations" of the ultra dac.

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 19
I've listened to the Benchmark and almost went down that path. Looked at a Cullen modified PS Audio as well. In the end, I am still an NOS fan, so I ordered a custom balanced version of the Promitheus DAC. I am waiting on it now, and have been told it should ship this week. You might also want to check out the Audio Zone. It doesn't seem to indicate such on their website, but I am pretty sure it's available balanced.

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 19
Pale Rider,
Is Audio Zone you mentioned the Canadian Audio Oasis?
If not could you please send me a link.
Thanks

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pale Rider,
Is Audio Zone you mentioned the Canadian Audio Oasis?
If not could you please send me a link.
Thanks

You bet: Audio Zone

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headroom ultra dac is VERY nice. I used it on my balanced rig for canjam. Tyll and the boys do nice work.

Would you say that the ultra DAC sounds similar to the Buffalo? Or does the output stage make a big difference in sound signature?

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rockhopper Buffalo

This could be interesting as well, Thrice does wonderful builds.

It does sound interesting. Did you take a good look at the pic? The XLR outputs are labeled unbalanced and the RCA outputs are labeled balanced. Oops.

For just a tiny bit over $1400 you can get the PS Audio Digital Link 3 ($695) and then send it to Reference Audio Mods to do a major upgrade to it ($600) plus adding NextGen RCA outputs ($125). Or of course you can leave off the NextGen connectors and be right at your price range. The DL3 stock is a fantastic unit, equally as good as the Benchmark DAC1. Adding the modification to it takes it up to a whole other level.

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #15 of 19
1UP
The AQVOX size puts me off, specs look impressive, unfortunately I don't know anybody who's used it to give me some feedback!
The Headroom DAC would be a good first step for me as I could buy the matching amp at a later stage to complete my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back