Xin SuperMicroIV hisses more than the headphone out of ipod classic??!!! :<
Apr 14, 2008 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

zeckwsr

100+ Head-Fier
REPEAT: I am using a LOD and am not even connecting the amp to ANYTHING

Quote:

anyone from the UK wants to try the amp out for me?
let say we pay half half for the postage cost so i pay for mine to send to ur place and u pay for urs to send back to my place...

please let me know if you r interested

update: ok so Quaddy will try it out for me...thanks for the interest

so i m one of those lucky ones who got their SMicroIV last month...
wink.gif
wink.gif

but cuz i m on easter holiday and not goin out very often...i dun get to use it very much...(plus i hv been hvin fun with my new A2s :>)

but today when i was just trying to do some A/B testing with it n the headphone jack of the classic,using UM2....i find sth really interesting which is that...the hiss from the SMicro is much more audible than the one from the classic? it's not really loud but it's just more i am definitely sure.

i even tried removin the interconnect from the amp but the hiss is still there so the hiss must be produced by the amp itself...

any1 knows how that could be in any sense?? i wasnt really expecting this
frown.gif

n btw mb my ears reli suck...but seriously i hving been skippin thru songs to try to hear the difference between the sound from the amp n the headphone jack...but i would say the diff is minimal AFAIcan tell (poor my ears
frown.gif
)
(yeayea...i know u guys would link me to the ear wax cleansing spray thing
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
)
so i m wondering mb it's the problem with the amp itself??
or it needs some more burnin-in cuz obviously it just has got no more than 50hrs of burning in...

com'on experts...what say you.??
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeckwsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
update:

i hv confirmed the hiss is not from the source or due to the low power of batteries....
i hv tried to listen to the hiss with 2 different fully charged NiMH batteries with no sources connected?? they r very audible n grow when i turn up the volume of the amp

and i hv sent Dr Xin an email...i will see what he says(mb when he replies :|)...

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 26
Interesting way to spell. So is this the real English? :^)

I don't know what to tell you. My Micro is dead quite no matter what I listen with and will only create hiss if the source is putting out a hiss or some type of static.

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 26
Whoa...I just read your sig:

Quote:

Portable rig.: ipod classic(B80)>cardas m2m(headroom)>Xin SMicroIV(ordered 1stMarch07 received 19thMarch08 :|)>UM2

Damn..over a year...that's CRAZY. And people hop all over LaRocco??? Not condoning either persons behavior, but wow...what a load of $hit....but that's a whole other can of worms...

Anyhow, I would definitly see what you can do to resolve that with Xin (is it even possible?) cause both the SMIV's I've heard were silent with UM2s. It was very hard to tell whether or not it was switched on...

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 26
Crossed my mind also and what type of IC?

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 26
^^^x2 battery, less noise w/ nimh on the iii. I know xin has posted about this before as well.

+ make sure battery is fully charged the noise on SM increases as the battery life declines. Kind of a static sound.

Also I have recieved amps back from xin making some noise at first then getting better over time. Most likely some residual flux or bits of grunge from the flight over making some almost shorted circuits.

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 26
Yes, a battery that is low will still allow the amp to play but there will be hiss.

Apr 14, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 26
thanks for the inputs guys:> (usually i just read posts instead of posting and it's reli nice to hv helpful n kind mates here XD)

yes i forgot to mention that i did indeed try 2 different NiMH batteries....and I believe at least one of them is fully charged...

and the hiss is still there when i remove the IC f/ the amp...so it should not be f/ the IC (i m using those cardas mini2mini f/ headroom btw)

@asebastian0.....i see.. but i believe that hiss shud be present only within the first few hrs or so?...cuz i think i have it over 50hrs of burnin-in now....

yes definitely...i will try to reach Dr Xin and see what he says
n i m recharging the batteries now..i will keep u guys posted...:fingercroxx:

Apr 14, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #9 of 26
I bad pot will also cause considerable hiss. Do you hear a crackling sound when turning the volume know?

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 26
Are you amping the headphone out?

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bad pot will also cause considerable hiss. Do you hear a crackling sound when turning the volume know?

yes i do....but i think classic has much less hiss than 5G...
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you amping the headphone out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i thinnk so--->> mini to mini, he's amping the hiss?
redface.gif

Quote:

...i even tried removin the interconnect from the amp but the hiss is still there so the hiss must be produced by the amp itself...

wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
(i m usin a LOD btw)

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 26
update:

i hv confirmed the hiss is not from the source or due to the low power of batteries....
i hv tried to listen to the hiss with 2 different fully charged NiMH batteries with no sources connected?? they r very audible n grow when i turn up the volume of the amp

and i hv sent Dr Xin an email...i will see what he says(mb when he replies :|)...

any1 wants to say anything?? :< thanks

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

any1 wants to say anything?? :< thanks

Please: dump the textspeak!

wink.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 26
nothing much too add of help, apart from to say my sm is deathly black regarding background noise.

i have never noticed much difference with noise floors trying different brands, although i use eneloop with it for peace of mind and a longer, less discharged life.

i notice when the battery is on its way out (discharged) the amp gets a bit leary and coarse and less refined, as it struggles to voltage multiply with what its got to work with!?! this can result in distortion and/or a grainier sound

but if you say yourself, your ears arent that great and you can still hear it without even connecting it to anything, then maybe it needs addressing.

god help you if that needs to go across the pond again!

hope you resolve it, keep us posted.

edit: hows it sound with your MS1's, hiss wize?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back