Xin SuperMicro IV impressions
Aug 4, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
that would be a cool mod... fabricate a case with enough room for the amp and a small AAA PM3 flash player.

Some AA NIMH cells are over 3000Mah you could power the amp and flash player with one AA cell.

hmmm

Garrett

The I-kra-xin! I want one!
(Doesn't sound any worse than I-Grado...)
cool.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #17 of 38
It appears that all of the SuperMicros (III and IV) have the machining marks on the case below the volume control. I do not believe it is poor machining, but by design. Of course, if anal enough, one could polish it out < s >

Aug 5, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanz
It appears that all of the SuperMicros (III and IV) have the machining marks on the case below the volume control. I do not believe it is poor machining, but by design. Of course, if anal enough, one could polish it out < s >

It seems this is absolutely true.

I just looked at my original (cracked) SuperMicro III case and shure enough, the same marks are there. I didn't notice it on that case or the replacement case because they were both solid black; the marks are only noticeable on the see-through cases. On solid color cases, the imperfections are visible only if you remove the amp from the case.

Thanks for the correction. I'm not so shure this particular plastic could be polished without making it worse though.

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
hey comfycan, when are you gonna post some pics of the supermicro and the e500 together?? i need something to drool on while i wait for my supermacro...

aluren,
Pics as requested, showing E500 w/ SuperMicro IV (& Nano w/ pocket dock)

(I don't know how to post pics inside of a post. If some kind soul would like to educate me, in simple language, please pm me)

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #20 of 38
To insert an image click the third button from the right on the toolbar in the reply page and put in the address of the image. It will say "insert image" when you hold the cursor over it. Just click it and insert the address. For this picture it is http://vorlon1.com/shure.jpg when you enter this address and click ok in the box it will show up as a picture like below in your post.

shure.jpg

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
aluren,
Pics as requested, showing E500 w/ SuperMicro IV (& Nano w/ pocket dock)

(I don't know how to post pics inside of a post. If some kind soul would like to educate me, in simple language, please pm me)

thanks!! i think i saw that in my dreams last night! j/k...
wink.gif

how is the sound with the e500 and supermicro?

Aug 5, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
thanks!! i think i saw that in my dreams last night! j/k...
wink.gif

how is the sound with the e500 and supermicro?

They are a match made in heaven. They don't change as much with the SuperMicro IV as the E4c's do (comparing the two IEM's with the version III and version IV amps), but the E500 + SuperMicro IV do sound spectacular together.

I particularly love acoustical sets with this setup, although it works well with everything I've tried really. Examples: Collective Soul: "From the Ground Up; Sarah McLachlan: "MirrorBall"; 1000 Maniacs: "MTV Unplugged."
Sweet stuff.

Aug 6, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #25 of 38
Not that we need any more pics, but Vorlon showed me how to do it, so I'm just playing:
IMG_2255.jpg

And:
IMG_2249-1.jpg

And finally:
IMG_2248.jpg

The "InCase" Nano case has a clip that will attach to an armband, belt, or velcro-dongle-thingie. In the pics shown, the velcro dots on the amp and pocket dock attach to the velcro on the flap on the case itself. This results in an "L" configuration that is strong enough to hold the amp in place during use. It would be more secure with a higher grade of Velcro, but I just used the dots so you could see the amp better.

The cardas mini-to-mini is flexible enough to wrap around the pocket dock so it stays out of the way.

Just one of many potential ultra-portable setup options with a flash player and the SuperMicro.
etysmile.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #26 of 38
Just a quick update:

I still don't know if I actually have the latest "tweaks" or not, but my initial impressions have held up very well so far. This little amp sounds fantastic, and I use it with everything other than the GS-1000's because it simply sounds better than my MicroAmp. BUT:

The cheesy little copper battery contacts are truly a terrible design. They are too thin. In order for to maintain good battery contact--which is essential---the little pieces of copper need to be bent "just so". Even then, they don't put enough of a bite on the battery to keep the connection stable under all conditions. If the thing gets jostled, the connection drops. Furthermore, the copper is so thin that it flattens out with use, so you have to keep re-bending it to make the compartment tight enough to maintain the connection.

I know this is a design problem rather than a "lemon" problem becuase the same thing happened with the SuperMicro III. (See page 1 discussion of repair I made using parts pirated from an old flashlight to repair broken connector in SuperMicro III). Well, I haven't broken the flashing on my SuperMicro IV yet by rebending it, but I am going to have to reinforce one of the contacts with another piece of copper nonetheless.

Annoying, yes, but the sound remains worth it.

I'm looking forward to a full SuperMini IV review; that may be a better way to go.

Now, I'm off to find another flashlight to destroy...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 13, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #27 of 38
Just FYI:

I think I found an easier way to deal with the battery contact issue:

I snipped off the end of a foam earplug and wedged it behind one of the battery contacts (flimsy copper strips referenced above). It holds the copper strip in the proper "bent" form, and compresses nicely when you insert a battery. The battery stays snug in it's slot, and the piece of earplug stays put also.

It even looks half-cool in a DIY kind of way (little flourecent orange thingie showing through the purple translucent case).

So far, so good, and no more need of ruining perfectly good flashlights.

Aug 13, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
Just FYI:

I think I found an easier way to deal with the battery contact issue:

I snipped off the end of a foam earplug and wedged it behind one of the battery contacts (flimsy copper strips referenced above). It holds the copper strip in the proper "bent" form, and compresses nicely when you insert a battery. The battery stays snug in it's slot, and the piece of earplug stays put also.

It even looks half-cool in a DIY kind of way (little flourecent orange thingie showing through the purple translucent case).

So far, so good, and no more need of ruining perfectly good flashlights.

I was gonna recommend that, except with the double sided tape simular to the one that holds the circuitry of the SuperMicro to teh Case. I haven't come across that problem because I haven't been able to put some serious time in listening to my SuperMicro-IV. Once school rolls around and I start to commute...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 13, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by skev13
I was gonna recommend that, except with the double sided tape simular to the one that holds the circuitry of the SuperMicro to teh Case. I haven't come across that problem because I haven't been able to put some serious time in listening to my SuperMicro-IV. Once school rolls around and I start to commute...
rolleyes.gif

That should work too, and possibly even better.

Anyway, I received a pm requesting a photo of the "earplug mod", so here it is (sorry about photo quality, but it should be good enough to get the idea accross):

dP50TH035.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back