Xin SuperMicro IV impressions
Aug 3, 2006 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
Most of this was previously posted in the "Waiting for Xin" thread, but since I just added a new toy to my collection, the Shure E500 IEM, I thought I'd go ahead and put it all in a separate thread.

Construction:
The weakness in the SuperMicro. The tiny plastic housing, about the size of a 9 volt battery, is not the best. It is subject to cracking if over compressed. I cracked the case on my old SuperMicro III by sitting on it, and the case on the version IV is identical in all material respects. The differences: The version IV is engraved, and the slot for the volume wheel has been enlarged in a rather unatractive fashion, presumably so that the version IV would fit into the same housing that was used for the version III. For pictures, see Skev's post here: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=190644&page=5

Like Skev, I purchased a clear housing (actually two: one light purple, and one light yellow). I suspect that the clear cases will show the consmetic imperfection more than the solid color cases.

The volume wheel is recessed almost flush with the housing. This makes it safer from the standpoint of avoiding any chance of accidentally increasing the volume while the amp is in your pocket. However, I have also found that it is a bit of a pain to change the volume on this amp. It's a bit too recessed, IMO. This is significant because this tiny amp is capable of producing truly eardrum-blasting volume, so a very slight turn of the dial can have a dramatic impact on volume. It is simply more difficult to make tiny adjustments on the volume wheel when it is as recessed as it is.

The lid on the amp is held in place by friction, which is not ideal. However, the lid on my version IV is nice and snug. The lid on my III was not. Nonetheless, I cover it with a rubber band or poly band, for insurance. Xin included a polyband for this purpose when I ordered a replacement case for my version III, but did not include one with the version IV amp.

Finally, the copper battery contacts for the single AAA battery that powers the amp are the same thin strips of flashing that were used on the version III. These are subject to breaking if you overbend them. The battery must be placed carefully into the slot, not forced. If you are gentle, the contacts should be fine. I snapped one of the contacts on my version III by forcing it, and had to reinforce it with a bit of copper from an old flashlight. It's an easy fix, but one best avoided by being careful with the battery contacts.

In sum, from a construction standpoint, the Xin SuperMicro is not terribly robust, but should hold up fine if you are careful with it. The SuperMini and SuperMacro do not seem to share this issue.

Sound:

Now for the good part. This is the world's smallest headphone amp, but you would never know that from the sound. The SuperMicro III was an amazing little amp, but the SuperMicro IV outshines it substantially it in most configurations I have tried. The primary difference is a dramatic increase in the perception of soundstage, with most headphones. Version III sounds flat and two dimensional in comparison to Version IV, which sounds quite open, detailed, and 3 dimensional.

The improvement in soundstage in version IV was most apparent with Shure E4c's and the AKG-701's. The expansion in soundstage is still there, but not as dramatic with the Shure E500. The E500's sound better than the E4c's with either amp, but the difference between the amps is more apparent with the E4c's. Just so there is no confusion here: The E500's sound heavenly through the SuperMicro IV.

The GS1000's, however, just don't seem to be a good match for the Xin SuperMicro IV. Highs have a tendancy to sound shrill (the "S" sound turns into "Shh"). I'm sure there is an audiophile term for this phenomenon, but I don't know what it is. The SuperMicro only has one adjustment: volume. Therefore, unlike the tweakable SuperMini and *very* tweakable SuperMacro, if there is poor synergy between your phones and the SuperMicro IV, there's not much you can do about it.

I also briefly tested the PX100's with both amps, and again the soundstage difference was apparent, but was not as dramatic as it was with the E4c's and K-701's.

The improvement in soundstage perception is most noticeable when using a standalone Dac fed by a digital source, but is still quite obvious and pleasant using an analogue line out from a DAP. Like version III, the SuperMicro IV seems to be forgiving when used with less than perfect digital music files; Even 128-192 kbps Mp3's on my Nano sounded remarkably nice with a lineout and the SuperMicro IV.

Finally, I should note that in testing the Xin amps I also compared them to the Headroom MicroAmp w/ Desktop Module, which is my normal amp for everything other than the I-Pod Nano. I love the Headroom MicroStack, but I have found that when using the MicroDac and a digital source, I prefer the sound of the SuperMicro IV over the Headroom MicroAmp with some headphones, most noticeably the K701's, the E4c's, and the E500's (in that order). It's just a more lively, 3 dimensional sound. That was not the case with the SuperMicro III, although the difference between the sound of the two amps (when used with the MicroDac) was never huge. The MicroAmp remains a mutch better match for the GS-1000's, however.

In sum, I love this little amp, and it has surpassed my expectations. I chose it over the SuperMini or SuperMacro for the novelty factor--it's just so tiny and will make a Nano sing like you would not believe. It is the only amp I've tried that is so small that it is never too much trouble to carry along. That said, if I had it to do all over and could only buy one portable amp, I'd probably go with the SuperMini or SuperMacro for greater durability and adjustment options.

If you are in a position to own more than one portable and you want "tiny" without giving up quality, this is the amp for you.

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 38
i wish i was you! (with the xin amp, e500, and gs1000)...
frown.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 38
Just gonna add my two cents:

The Xin SuperMicro-IV is my first portable amp, and this thing is larger than life.

I haven't had extensive use with this amp yet, but enough to notice the differences. I listen to mostly rock, with most of the comparisons in this review done with a Lossless version of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Stadium Arcadium album.

Cost: $180 from www.fixup.net

Construction:
1bb7.jpg

The construction is again, suspect. On my case, it looked as if Xin slipped while dremeling the slot for the volume disk, making an extra mark on the casing. I have my SuperMicro velcro'd to the case of my iPod Nano, and sometimes the lid pops off while still velcro'd to the case. This casing would greatly benefit from a hinge of some sort.

First Comparison: iPod Nano -> Grado SR80 vs iPod Nano -> ALO Dock -> Xin SuperMicro-IV -> Grado SR80
img1788wi5.jpg

Very big difference here. The amp opens up the soundstage to a new level, cymbals become a lot more clear, and I notice the intrumental seperation being more distinct. Without the amp, the bass on the Grado's is nowhere in sight. With the amp, the bass seems to be very tight and noticable, but not the extent of what a basshead would want (comeon, they're grados...)

Overall, the amp is worth its price in sound here.

Second Comparison:
iPod Nano -> AudioTechnica A500 vs iPod Nano -> ALO Dock -> Xin SuperMicro-IV -> AudioTechnica A500
3gx8.jpg

Yes, these cans run very well unamped. Yes, these cans aren't too great for music. I use them mainly for movies and gaming, and leave the Grado's for music. However, initial impression is, the bass seams to tighten up with the amp, and the cymbals become more noticable and seperatable. Soundstage wise, no difference. These cans were already great for soundstage.

Overall, amp not worth the price at all for these cans, but then again the amp wasn't ment for the A500's.

Third Comparison: iPod Nano -> AudioTechnica EM7 vs iPod Nano -> ALO Dock -> Xin SuperMicro-IV -> AudioTechnica EM7
5vq9.jpg

These clipons are..uhh....meh sound wise. I only purchased them for the aesthetic appeal and comfort for napping, and I must say they satisfy my needs. Unamped, the cymbals seem to mash together, and there's little to no bass. Amped, the soundstage opens up, cymbals mash together still, but theres noticable bass! Either way, the amp improves these clipons, even though they kinda suck. It might be due to the pillow they have right over the drivers...

Overall, Amp does improve these cans, but not worth the ~$180.

Fourth ComparisoniPod Nano -> Shure E4c vs iPod Nano -> ALO Dock -> Xin SuperMicro-IV -> Shure E4c
4fx5.jpg

This is where the comparisons become important. Although the E4c's aren't bad with the iPod Nano, the amp definately improves it. The bass tightens up, as well as kicks a little extra harder. The soundstage opens up, and just sounds awesome. Instrument seperation, guitar detail, cymbals, everything just sounds much more lively. The amp definately shines with the E4cs.

Overall, worth the money.

Honestly, the size of this thing is just amazing. It also helps prolong my ipod battery life, as I run the nano on the lowest volume setting. I'm glad i listened to ComfyCan a Month and a half ago, and ordered this amp!

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 38
It might be worth pointing out that Supermicro is powered by one single AAA battery. With 1.5V(or 1.2V in the case of rechargables), it truely is an engineering wonder.

As for the less than ideal case, I wonder if anyone has tried it with a 9V battery holder, since it's about the same size, and Supermini actually uses one of those 4 AAA battery holders as the case.

Aug 3, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by skev13
Honestly, the size of this thing is just amazing. It also helps prolong my ipod battery life, as I run the nano on the lowest volume setting.

First, nice review and thanks for the great pics.

Conventional wisdom is to crank the volume on the DAP to 2/3 to full volume, and then control volume from the amp. I seem to recall Xin recommending that on his forum when I was researching the version III, but I'm not 100% sure about that. However, I don't know *why* this is supposed to be optimal, and I've never personally tested it by using different volume settings on the DAP. I may give it a try and see what difference it makes.

If I can get the same sound quality (and, secondarily, increased battery life) by reducing volume on the DAP, then that would be preferable with the SuperMicro IV, becuase it would allow you a greater safety factor in adjusting the volume wheel on the amp. With the Nano or Iriver cranked up to full, it doesn't take much movement of the volume wheel on the amp to make your ears bleed.

Aug 4, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Nice review !!
Can you actually buy that amp without the case ... for $169?

thanks
Garrett

Yes; the case is sold separately. The problem is I've never read where anybody has built a replacement case. There's undoubtedly somebody out there in DIY land who has done so, however. Perhaps a post/search on the DIY forum or fixup.net will uncover a tested recipe. (If you find one, please share!)

Aug 4, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
First, nice review and thanks for the great pics.

Conventional wisdom is to crank the volume on the DAP to 2/3 to full volume, and then control volume from the amp. I seem to recall Xin recommending that on his forum when I was researching the version III, but I'm not 100% sure about that. However, I don't know *why* this is supposed to be optimal, and I've never personally tested it by using different volume settings on the DAP. I may give it a try and see what difference it makes.

If I can get the same sound quality (and, secondarily, increased battery life) by reducing volume on the DAP, then that would be preferable with the SuperMicro IV, becuase it would allow you a greater safety factor in adjusting the volume wheel on the amp. With the Nano or Iriver cranked up to full, it doesn't take much movement of the volume wheel on the amp to make your ears bleed.

When i change the volume on my iPod, it makes absolutely no difference to the volume comming out of the amp. I don't know why, but thats why I run it at the lowest volume. Maybe the difference in Line outs?

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 38
Thanks for the reviews guys...WOW comparing this tiny thing to the Micro ComfyCan and having it fair so favorably. I can believe the Supermicro having great SQ but how does the power aspect hold up to the Micro? -meaning does it get a higher impedance can (250 Ohm) cranking as good as the Micro.

Being able to put the Supermicro guts in a polished aluminum case would be sweet. A seamless molded type case would look best but probably difficult to pull off. An extruded case I can see possible. It'd be fun to atleast try to make a custom case if on has the tools and materials. I'm wondering how hard it'd be to do it for a Supermini...I might experiment with .050 mill finish aluminum if it looks easy.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by skev13
When i change the volume on my iPod, it makes absolutely no difference to the volume comming out of the amp. I don't know why, but thats why I run it at the lowest volume. Maybe the difference in Line outs?

Just tested this on the Nano; you are absolutely right. The pocket dock + interconnect clearly bypasses internal volume control completely; the only control that has any effect on sound is the volume wheel on the amp. There is definitely no audible difference when the Nano is set to zero volume vs. full volume. This probably makes perfect sense to those who understand exactly how & why these things actually work which, sadly, excludes me.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
WOW comparing this tiny thing to the Micro ComfyCan and having it fair so favorably. I can believe the Supermicro having great SQ but how does the power aspect hold up to the Micro? -meaning does it get a higher impedance can (250 Ohm) cranking as good as the Micro.

I know. To be honest, I feel kinda guilty even saying it. I'm a big Headroom fan--great company, great products, great customer service. However, if I said the MicroAmp sounded better to me I'd be lying (except w/ GS 1000's). Believe me, the results surprised me.

Concerning impedance, the only cans I have tried are the ones I reviewed as listed in my sig. As I understand it, none of these phones are among the most power-hungry phones on the market. I know that to my ears, the GS1000's, K701's and PX-100's benefit from greater gain than the IEM's, which makes sense. I usually set the K701's on medium gain on my MicroAmp; the GS-1000's either on medium or high, and the PX-100's on medium. The IEM's are normally set on low. It doesn't really seem to make much difference other than how far one can comfortably turn the volume wheel on the MicroAmp.

The Xin SuperMicro doesn't have adjustable gain--just the volume wheel itself. It is so incredibly sensitive, however, that I would be very surprised if it couldn't easily drive any headphone on the market, from a power standpoint alone. I do recall reading that owners of Sennheiser 650's had no trouble driving them with version III Xin amps.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 38
i'm no techie either, but you said it right on the money, comfycan, that the line out bypasses the internal amp on the ipod that drives the headphone out. so you're left with an uninterrupted signal traveling to your amp, thereby allowing the amp to do the sound tweaking. i asked kwarth (spelling?) on this forum since he is familiar with the audiolineout docks on whether it will save me batteries on my ipod if i turn the volume to zero. he said that it doesn't matter since the ipod itself is not sending a signal (low or high based on volume) to the headphone out, so it really has no effect. hope this helps.

nice pics there btw, slev13.

hey comfycan, when are you gonna post some pics of the supermicro and the e500 together?? i need something to drool on while i wait for my supermacro...

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
hey comfycan, when are you gonna post some pics of the supermicro and the e500 together?? i need something to drool on while i wait for my supermacro...

Rats; I thought I dodged the photo obligation through the generosity of Skev. I'm really bad about photos--love to see 'em but hat to take 'em.

I'll try to remember to do it this weekend.

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
i'm no techie either, but you said it right on the money, comfycan, that the line out bypasses the internal amp on the ipod that drives the headphone out. so you're left with an uninterrupted signal traveling to your amp, thereby allowing the amp to do the sound tweaking. i asked kwarth (spelling?) on this forum since he is familiar with the audiolineout docks on whether it will save me batteries on my ipod if i turn the volume to zero. he said that it doesn't matter since the ipod itself is not sending a signal (low or high based on volume) to the headphone out, so it really has no effect. hope this helps.

nice pics there btw, slev13.

AFAIK, I can run two headphones (headphone out and through the dock>amp) at the same time...

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
Yes; the case is sold separately. The problem is I've never read where anybody has built a replacement case. There's undoubtedly somebody out there in DIY land who has done so, however. Perhaps a post/search on the DIY forum or fixup.net will uncover a tested recipe. (If you find one, please share!)

that would be a cool mod... fabricate a case with enough room for the amp and a small AAA PM3 flash player.

Some AA NIMH cells are over 3000Mah you could power the amp and flash player with one AA cell.

hmmm

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back