Xin Supermacro V4
Jun 7, 2006 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jxb2

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to buy an SM V4, but Xin's Website listed so many options/configurations I got frustrated and stopped.

Can anyone help me?

What is "best" combination/configuration to max out the amp for desktop use (don't need to worry about battery drain of different op amps).

Thanks

(The SM V3, with bass boost on, and impedance switch set to "high," is main reason my K701 is not yet FS)

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 14
The one with the stacked buffers and BUF627s..

'nuff said =)

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 14
Wouldn't this setup be better?

imgp2217.jpg

Dr. Xin describes it as:

This picture shows a very expensive setup: 2X stacked buffers (BUF634) in Hi-C mode with OPA637. Such a top-end configuration is only found in few $$$$ home headphone amps and it is unseen in portable amps. OPA637 and 2x buffers drain lots of power which is beyond the capacity of 9V batteries that are used by almost all other portable amps. Thanking to 8 AAA cells that power up SuperMacro-IV, we have plenty of power here and we still get decent 20 hours play per charge (based on standard AAA Ni-MH of 1000 mAh and a full recharge takes only 3.5 hours). In comparison, 9V batteries can play only 4 hours for such a powerful system.

Jun 8, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 14
I placed an order for this the other night. Hopefully the good Dr. can revise it to include the above.

Any recommendations on batteries for use with this.

Thanks

Jun 8, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo

imgp2217.jpg

Dr. Xin describes it as:

This picture shows a very expensive setup: 2X stacked buffers (BUF634) in Hi-C mode with OPA637. Such a top-end configuration is only found in few $$$$ home headphone amps and it is unseen in portable amps. OPA637 and 2x buffers drain lots of power which is beyond the capacity of 9V batteries that are used by almost all other portable amps. Thanking to 8 AAA cells that power up SuperMacro-IV, we have plenty of power here and we still get decent 20 hours play per charge (based on standard AAA Ni-MH of 1000 mAh and a full recharge takes only 3.5 hours). In comparison, 9V batteries can play only 4 hours for such a powerful system.

What's with the OPA275 in that config? There are much better dual channel opamps available...

Jun 8, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo

imgp2217.jpg

D-rool.
eek.gif
That sure looks nice. Xin does offer 3.6 upgrades to 4, doesn't he? I guess I habe zero need for this, but...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 14
Amazing amount of stuff in there. I look forward to hearing one someday.

Jun 8, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
so bottom line which is the very best configuration ?

There is no best configuration.
tongue.gif

The whole point of changing opamps is to suit each user's needs, rigs, and preferences.

There is much information on fixup.net and head-fi as to the sound characteristics of each. In addition, different opamps will sound a bit different in each different series version (3, III, IV, etc.) of Xin's amps.

With Xin's IV series of amps the choices are insanely confusing due to the numerous opamp and buffer sockets. That's a good thing and a bad thing depending on how one looks at it. There's even choices to put things in Hi-C mode, output bypass, and class A. That's why Xin offers so many OB, OBCA sockets, adapters, and mounted opamps, dummy sockets, and buffers.

Heck, I don't even know why any of this stuff work. I just like the flexibility and the fun of tinkering and learning. Goto2003 and others have already posted reviews of various opamps and buffer combos in the IV series at fixup.net.

Hopefully, there will be more opamps and buffer reviews here as well. Xin's amps are a whole world of fun in themselves, although definitely confusing and overwhelming at times.
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
RockinOut,

Do you know what Hi-C mode means, per chance? Xin told me I have that but not sure I know what that means.

This is a direct quote and pic form fixup.net Xin's website
http://fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPI...archTerms=HI-c

Per Xin:

"This picture shows how to use a dual opamp like OPA2134. Although OPA2134 has enough power to drive some headphones directly, it is still better to use external buffers. 220 ohm resistors are soldered between pin 1 and 4 of BUF634s to set them into Hi-C mode for better sound."

123uryw.jpg

All tech info for Xin's amps are dispersed everywhere on his website. It probably won't ever change. It's just a treasure hunt, but I'm bored so it's ok for me.

Xin and other IV revieweres also stated that Hi-C has less distortion and sound clearer. Some like it, some don't depending on rig and opamp and preference.

Hi-C just another tinkering option for all of us Xin fans.
icon10.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks for taking the time to post a reply, RockinOut. Very informative.....I think! (Technical idiot here!)

Xin has my SM IV configured thus: OPA627, 1xBUF634 in HiC mode. Since I have absolutely no idea how to tinker with this, this is it! I really like the sound that this amp produces (if I can distiguish that properly from the other components in my rig!!!). The OPA627 was kept over from my SM III and has many hours of burn in already.

Happy tinkering!

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
Thanks for taking the time to post a reply, RockinOut. Very informative.....I think! (Technical idiot here!)

Xin has my SM IV configured thus: OPA627, 1xBUF634 in HiC mode. Since I have absolutely no idea how to tinker with this, this is it! I really like the sound that this amp produces (if I can distiguish that properly from the other components in my rig!!!). The OPA627 was kept over from my SM III and has many hours of burn in already.

Happy tinkering!

Post some impressions when you get it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back