Xin Amps - Never Again
Nov 7, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #16 of 101
I never understood why some custom builders work on development/upgrades to the detriment of current model owners awaiting delivery. I know I would feel bad if I had an item ordered to be built and delivered and then the builder mentions he has a great new model coming out. this is not exclusive to hp amp builders.
I know I can't wait a year for an item that I've paid. Not to sound pessimistic but I could be dead in that said year. but then, I don't have money to burn.
Yes, it is a vicious cycle. And, I wanna add my respect for Mr. Samuels, a very nice gentleman
YMMV.

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #17 of 101
Xin's amps are very good and tweakable! His SUPERMACRO IV undeniably one of the best sounding amps I ever heard, after I tailored the sound to my liking with OPAMP rolling! I have an amp from pre-power supply tweak stock. If lowering PS Impedance is going to sound further more, I am quite fascinated see how I can discern such change.
But I agree Dr. XIN's communication skills may be one of the worst I have ever seen! He is not going to change that too. SO typical end-user like customers are bound to get dissatisfied! When one can get him to talk to, his is one of the nicest persons I ever seen. His upgrade policy is the only thing stand for his customer care. For example he promised to upgrade SMIV to recent SMLE or vice versa, any number of times if customer wishes, free of charge!!!
But at end of the day he will always suffer in the hands of end-users! His way of talking to customers will be unacceptable majority of his customers, who can enjoy the very satisfactory customer care with others like Ray!!

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #18 of 101
And a word for his tweaking! Though most customers do not like his tweaking and upgrading I love it. As once said his amps are tweaker's amp! I can not imagine whether i will discern the difference between amp I have and amp with power supply tweaked! Wow there is more room for improvement? He is an inventor who has immense appetite for new innovations. If he stops tweaking now, his amps will be amongst the top amps without further improvements.
Even a tweaker should have immense patient and common sense to enjoy his product fully! I won't get the tweaks till his backlog somewhat eased out, as it happened few weeks back.
With this tweaks and opamp-rolling his amps provide me a tool with hundreds of options to tailor the sound the way I like!

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #19 of 101
When you get the amp eventually, consider it sold! I too think Xin's business practice is getting really ridiculous but I do want his amp! YGPM....
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #20 of 101
That's why I am not even inclined to buy any of Xin's amps...

1. If I buy direct from him, I'll have to wait months....and I don't think I can endure that, especially with lack of communication with the builder.

2. If I buy a used Xin amp from someone else on head-fi, I would have to worry about the constant upgrades that Dr.Xin is making to his amps...and I would fall into dilemma of whether to send the amp in for an upgrade (which will obviously take a few months), or just hold on to it, trying to persuade myself that the upgrade will have minimal effect on the sound..

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #21 of 101
Im sorry, but this is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard.
It takes 5 minutes to send an email to someone to let them know whats going on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138
I hope you get the resolution you are looking for soon.

I been at this hobby for awhile now. I learn to treat it like an investment; invest and forget. One day, especially with Xin, it will come in with measurable "dividend". I ordered my Supermicro IV few days ago as well as send in my SM3V6 for upgrades and I don't expect to see them until next year.

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #22 of 101
Dr.Xin has an eccentric personality and I believe his projects and perfecting things are always first before anything else including satisfying
customers or running a business by most standards. Just the way he is take it or leave it.

Also I think this has a hand as to why he doesn't allow others to work under him he probably isn't quite the trusting type.

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #23 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
Waiting for the fanboy "spin"...

And the "spin" doesn't even come for poor Dr. Xin, but once again for Ray Samuels. While the OP used RSA for a comparison to the service he received (and the quality in his opinion) compared to Xin. I'm not so sure the intention of his post was to start another "butt-kissing regimen" towards Ray Samuels and his products or service. Once again, I have nothing negative to say about the guy or his products, but some of you people act like you're close to marriage proposals here. Give it a break.

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #24 of 101
this is what happens when a designer/engineer tries to become a manager/customer service agent all in one. If he had someone answer phones/do emails/shipping. I bet he'd have at least 1-2 hrs a day extra just to work on amps.

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #25 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
That's why I am not even inclined to buy any of Xin's amps...

1. If I buy direct from him, I'll have to wait months....and I don't think I can endure that, especially with lack of communication with the builder.

2. If I buy a used Xin amp from someone else on head-fi, I would have to worry about the constant upgrades that Dr.Xin is making to his amps...and I would fall into dilemma of whether to send the amp in for an upgrade (which will obviously take a few months), or just hold on to it, trying to persuade myself that the upgrade will have minimal effect on the sound..

Actually, upgrading took him 4 days last time i did it
I'm just worried because i'm leaving soon, that's all

Seriously though, if there's anything the same size and sounds as good as supermini/micro other people would turn to it.
Problem is, no one could. Yet

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #26 of 101
it's nice that xin has a loyal following with some around here...but it could be a lot bigger if his business practice were better. it really is quite a shame that he's so awful with replying to emails, getting his stuff out on time, etc.

after the initial wait for my supermini IV i did have a few relatively quick email exchanges with xin concerning some replacement jumpers and getting another tweak done. my supermini IV was updated in about 3-4 days and promptly returned. i was actually quite surprised.

however, i know others have not been so fortunate and i totally understand the disgruntled customers...i also am not fond of the constant tweaking he does so that's one reason i won't be getting another xin amp. i also think my PINT sounds better than the supermini IV...

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #28 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m
In my case, I've learned the hard way when I started to involve with this hobby and had my share of frustration. Personally, I have appreciation for your assertiveness and the "Fearless" attitude. We need more people who is willing to speak the truth of their experiences. This would help saving the newbies from frustration and losses.

agreed; one thing i've learned in my time here is that headfi'ers are fanatically dedicated to their equipment makers, especially the smaller, independent ones; now there's good reason for this, lots of these folks produce unique items at small profits for a small market; but ALL TO OFTEN problems get glossed over

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #29 of 101
I personally couldn't bring myself to buy a new Xin amp just knowing how quickly it'll depreciate in resale due to his constant upgrading of the lineup.

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #30 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
I personally couldn't bring myself to buy a new Xin amp just knowing how quickly it'll depreciate in resale due to his constant upgrading of the lineup.

Actually with his upgrades, which are normally done for free, there doesn't seem to be a great impact to resale value. The IV has an amazing sound but I can understand fully the frustration of people. I have a SMV3 6, which has an excellent sound. Good depth, fast and articulate and good stage depth. So, the worry of something better and the sound of the slightly older SM's being inferior, in our minds, really does not pan out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back